Add Server Choice To The Vote Interface

53 replies to this topic

#1 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

Wait times and match quality need further improvement. In particular for those poor oceanic players. I see no reason not to add server choice to the list of things we vote on for the sake of a better MM.

#2 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

No. I do not want people with 400 ping being forced onto my server just because RNG said so. They know which server is best for them... let them select that server only.

#3 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I assume that would be difficult as by the time you are voting your already on a server.

#4 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostSiegegun, on 24 November 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

I assume that would be difficult as by the time you are voting your already on a server.

True, so let us just take away the option, and whatever server you get is the one you play on. No more choice.

View PostRoadkill, on 24 November 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

No. I do not want people with 400 ping being forced onto my server just because RNG said so. They know which server is best for them... let them select that server only.
Sorry, but the MM is struggling and we need more people to fill the gaps for the greater good. Sometimes having to deal with higher ping when you don't get the server you want is a small price to pay for faster queues and better quality matches for everyone else.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

I don't see how creating absurd, facetious, and sarcastic threads helps anything. You're just having a tantrum essentially on the forums. There are a few threads specifically about what you really want to talk about (and anyone that's been involved in the discussions knows exactly what you're doing here).

Just stop dude. You're usually a little more even keeled than this and typically have some decent ideas on how to improve things. This is no different than any of the other rant threads on forums. Doing stuff like just increases the chances that people just dismiss what you say or you just get threads deleted and such.

You don't like the voting system. That's ok. Post about it. (Just like you have been) in those threads. I could even understand it if you were just going for some cheap laughs, but that's not even the case here.

#6 Quick n Fast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationKahnawake

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

I see no reason not to add server choice to the list of things we vote on for the sake of a better MM.

You can pick servers, just press the little button to the left of the QuickPlay button. Tada! enjoy.

P.S. L2TrollHarder

Edited by Kahnawake MechMaster Prime, 24 November 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#7 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

sounds like maybe hes on a less populated server and wants people to be forced to play on it?

#8 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostSandpit, on 24 November 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I don't see how creating absurd, facetious, and sarcastic threads helps anything. You're just having a tantrum essentially on the forums. There are a few threads specifically about what you really want to talk about (and anyone that's been involved in the discussions knows exactly what you're doing here).
Sarcastic? Absolutely, but it really isn't anymore absurd and facetious to ask for this while using the same logic I'm supposed to accept in those other threads.

Just stop dude. You're usually a little more even keeled than this and typically have some decent ideas on how to improve things. This is no different than any of the other rant threads on forums. Doing stuff like just increases the chances that people just dismiss what you say or you just get threads deleted and such.
I will endeavor to tone it down.

You don't like the voting system. That's ok. Post about it. (Just like you have been) in those threads. I could even understand it if you were just going for some cheap laughs, but that's not even the case here.
It really isn't meant to be funny. I'm trying to make a point by giving people another way to look at it. If taking away mode choice is a such a boon for the MM I really don't see why we shouldn't take it a step further and remove all choice completely.

#9 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

Sorry, but the MM is struggling and we need more people to fill the gaps for the greater good. Sometimes having to deal with higher ping when you don't get the server you want is a small price to pay for faster queues and better quality matches for everyone else.

Sorry, but if you force people to play on a server where they have crap connection, they'll just quit. And then the MM will have even worse problems due to the reduced population.

Same problem if you force me to play with people who have crap connections because they're not allowed to choose a more appropriate server.

Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad.

#10 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 24 November 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

sounds like maybe hes on a less populated server and wants people to be forced to play on it?

Unless the NA server is less populated that would not be applied to me.

That being said in full disclosure I don't want anyone forced to play on a server they do not want, nor do I think people should be forced to play game modes they do not want. It was a round about way of pointing out how silly the entire voting system is. If voting for mode against the wishes of some players is necessary for the greater good so too would the removal of server choice be a necessary improvement for the greater good despite player wishes.

#11 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Unless the NA server is less populated that would not be applied to me.

That being said in full disclosure I don't want anyone forced to play on a server they do not want, nor do I think people should be forced to play game modes they do not want. It was a round about way of pointing out how silly the entire voting system is. If voting for mode against the wishes of some players is necessary for the greater good so too would the removal of server choice be a necessary improvement for the greater good despite player wishes.

Not a good comparison. A player may not care for Conquest, Skirmish, or Assault as the mechanics are undesirable, but there is no inhibition to player performance. Whereas being forced to play on a server that offers poor latency is actually an inhibition to player performance.

#12 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 24 November 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

Sorry, but if you force people to play on a server where they have crap connection, they'll just quit. And then the MM will have even worse problems due to the reduced population.

Same problem if you force me to play with people who have crap connections because they're not allowed to choose a more appropriate server.

Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad.

Now you know my pain with the entire concept of voting for game modes. I agree it is a bad proposal as is taking away our choice in game mode.

#13 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Not a good comparison. A player may not care for Conquest, Skirmish, or Assault as the mechanics are undesirable, but there is no inhibition to player performance. Whereas being forced to play on a server that offers poor latency is actually an inhibition to player performance.

There are players that don't really care all that much about their latency either(at least as long as it is stable). The comparison is fine because if you are not enjoying what you are playing your performance is going to be inhibited as well just in a different way.

#14 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

True, so let us just take away the option, and whatever server you get is the one you play on. No more choice.

Yes because having 400+ ping is sure to improve the game play for sooo many users....

#15 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostLugh, on 24 November 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

Yes because having 400+ ping is sure to improve the game play for sooo many users....

No different than people being forced into game modes they do not enjoy.

#16 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

No different than people being forced into game modes they do not enjoy.

Actually, yeah, it is different.

I can reliably hit people at 150 or less ping regardless of mode or map, and thus I can still have fun as the game is about shooting large robots regardless of mode.

I can't reliably hit people at 300+ ping, and thus stop having fun as it beginning to impede on my ability to shoot at large robots.

It's like playing a level in a singleplayer game you may not enjoy versus playing with a controller where the batteries are dying. One will end and you will get a level you enjoy playing, the other requires you to stop to recharge your controller or suffer through faulty equipment.

#17 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

To make a serious point of a sarcastic thread, you could actually automate server choice with a ping cap. Let's say the ping cap is 250, then you'd be seeded in matches on all servers that give you a ping below 250.

That should actually be good on the matchmaker, especially it would help australian players out with getting some better matches.

#18 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 November 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Actually, yeah, it is different.

I can reliably hit people at 150 or less ping regardless of mode or map, and thus I can still have fun as the game is about shooting large robots regardless of mode.

I can't reliably hit people at 300+ ping, and thus stop having fun as it beginning to impede on my ability to shoot at large robots.

It's like playing a level in a singleplayer game you may not enjoy versus playing with a controller where the batteries are dying. One will end and you will get a level you enjoy playing, the other requires you to stop to recharge your controller or suffer through faulty equipment.
Underlined is why they are the same. It is a matter of what is fun. High ping isn't fun so you shouldn't be forced into playing that way, but not having a choice in game mode and being forced to play a mode you hate is not fun either so we shouldn't be forced into that either.

#19 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Now you know my pain with the entire concept of voting for game modes. I agree it is a bad proposal as is taking away our choice in game mode.

I agree that's also bad, but they're really not the same.

One is a technological limitation. The other is a player preference.

But yeah, game mode voting has made it so that I'm not willing to pilot an Assault Mech. I don't like taking an Assault into Conquest, so since I no longer have any control over that I just don't take Assaults.

I don't have any similar option when it comes to ping, though, which is why they're not the same.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 24 November 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

I agree that's also bad, but they're really not the same.

One is a technological limitation. The other is a player preference.

But yeah, game mode voting has made it so that I'm not willing to pilot an Assault Mech. I don't like taking an Assault into Conquest, so since I no longer have any control over that I just don't take Assaults.

I don't have any similar option when it comes to ping, though, which is why they're not the same.

As someone who plays on both sides of the pond, I'd rather have that (with a reasonable ping limit included in the algorithm, of course) than these game mode voting shenanigans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users