74 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

It clicked, I get it. And it took Star Wars Battlefront to make it sink in. Battlefront looks amazing. I didn't do my due diligence and bought in sight unseen. I assumed there'd be awesome missions like in the old Rogue Squadron games, more ships, dogfights, a riveting solo campaign. Lore, LORE, and MOAR LOAR!

But what I did get was a game that looks great, has awesome sound effects, but no substance. It's just a run and gun FPS where I don't have to reload my blaster (silly brain, stop trying to reload dammit!).

Don't get me wrong, I really like MWO and I still find it fun, but I totally get if you were coming in with a different idea of the game already made up in your head. These are not the droids you're looking for. So ya, my b, maybe that kickstarter game will work out for y'all and maybe I'll just get an old copy of Rogue Squadron.

#2 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

View PostRizzelbizzeg, on 24 November 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

It clicked, I get it. And it took Star Wars Battlefront to make it sink in. Battlefront looks amazing. I didn't do my due diligence and bought in sight unseen. I assumed there'd be awesome missions like in the old Rogue Squadron games, more ships, dogfights, a riveting solo campaign. Lore, LORE, and MOAR LOAR!

But what I did get was a game that looks great, has awesome sound effects, but no substance. It's just a run and gun FPS where I don't have to reload my blaster (silly brain, stop trying to reload dammit!).

Don't get me wrong, I really like MWO and I still find it fun, but I totally get if you were coming in with a different idea of the game already made up in your head. These are not the droids you're looking for. So ya, my b, maybe that kickstarter game will work out for y'all and maybe I'll just get an old copy of Rogue Squadron.

It gets worse.... image being part of closed beta and going arrgggg..... every day. Then being told your not the target audience....

#3 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've heard it was good. I didn't figure you'd get any story until they start with the DLCs. Jakku is supposed to explain a lot for the movie as well.

You can see now though! It wasn't even so much about "promises" and such. It was just that it became quite clear that the only thing getting ANY kind of development were monetized mech packs. For a solid 2 years. That's it. All this other "fluff" was put on the "soon" backburner it seemed and people finally started getting upset by it. Based on then and now though, I've given PGI the benefit of the doubt and accepted their statements regarding the whole IGP debacle as well. I'm starting to see a lot of community (whether or not they were thought of prior to or truly original ideas generated on the forums) ideas starting to get implemented. The main difference between then and now is that I actually see progress now outside of new mech packs.

Map reworks, new systems for MM, Steam launch, better balance (thus far that I've seen), on top of what many agree was and is a decent combat simulator for Btech. Now we're seeing the academy and challenges being implemented, VOIP!!!!

That tells me that they're actually getting their butts in a faster gear beyond glacial lol I see more info being dispersed on the forums and more interaction. I'm hoping that they're finally starting to embrace Btech for more than just big stompy robots shooting each other. CW is.... well CW could be better in a few different ways (Which I'm sure I'll have plenty of suggestions for that as well lol) but it at the very least gives us a representation of something to fight for. We fight for planet ownership. Lets get more in-depth with that now.

Anyhow, yea, it hurts when you're expecting this rich story and history and you get more of a michael bay version lol

#4 Arandmoor

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNewark, CA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

...did you ever actually play Battlefront or Battlefront 2 back in the day?

If you thought the new Battlefront was going to be anything other than a run-and-gun FPS, that's all you.

Do your homework next time.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

What's the single player bit like?

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostSandpit, on 24 November 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've heard it was good. I didn't figure you'd get any story until they start with the DLCs. Jakku is supposed to explain a lot for the movie as well.

You can see now though! It wasn't even so much about "promises" and such. It was just that it became quite clear that the only thing getting ANY kind of development were monetized mech packs. For a solid 2 years. That's it. All this other "fluff" was put on the "soon" backburner it seemed and people finally started getting upset by it. Based on then and now though, I've given PGI the benefit of the doubt and accepted their statements regarding the whole IGP debacle as well. I'm starting to see a lot of community (whether or not they were thought of prior to or truly original ideas generated on the forums) ideas starting to get implemented. The main difference between then and now is that I actually see progress now outside of new mech packs.

Map reworks, new systems for MM, Steam launch, better balance (thus far that I've seen), on top of what many agree was and is a decent combat simulator for Btech. Now we're seeing the academy and challenges being implemented, VOIP!!!!

That tells me that they're actually getting their butts in a faster gear beyond glacial lol I see more info being dispersed on the forums and more interaction. I'm hoping that they're finally starting to embrace Btech for more than just big stompy robots shooting each other. CW is.... well CW could be better in a few different ways (Which I'm sure I'll have plenty of suggestions for that as well lol) but it at the very least gives us a representation of something to fight for. We fight for planet ownership. Lets get more in-depth with that now.

Anyhow, yea, it hurts when you're expecting this rich story and history and you get more of a michael bay version lol

Then I regret to inform you that the direction seems to actually be:

eSports!

Edited by Mystere, 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#7 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostMystere, on 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Then I regret to inform you that the direction seems to actually be:

eSports!

Then i hope its the promised land, so i can get a single player campaign with editing tools.

#8 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MWO. It is the perfect representation of a real time battletech simulator. The balance is perfect and so are the maps that cost $250k each for PGI to make. Everyone who disagrees is on an island.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 24 November 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

It gets worse.... image being part of closed beta and going arrgggg..... every day. Then being told your not the target audience....

This is so true. I remember back in Closed Beta thinking, "Ok... they've still got a long way to go, but why are they starting off from such a horrible place on this feature? We told them heavy alpha strikes were going to be a thing, they are here now, and they're not doing anything about it? What is going on here?"

So much potential for story and purpose chucked to the side, but they are doing a better job of late.

#10 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostArandmoor, on 24 November 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

If you thought the new Battlefront was going to be anything other than a run-and-gun FPS, that's all you.

FPS, but not exactly the twitch New-Battlefield-ish version that the current iteration turned out to be.

#11 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

I didn't play those, but you're absolutely right.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

It's definitely fun for a little while, but once you've 3 starred all the training missions (5 or 6 of them) and cleared all 15 waves in the waves mode or whatever it's called (4 maps x 3 difficulties) it starts to feel like the same simple mini mission over and over. IMO It needs more depth, more to do. Hopefully the DLC will bring more interesting missions.

#12 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

The BT purist misery stems from them not realizing that MW is not directly based on BT.
Notice how MWO doesn't look like megamek, or even turn based?

It's tough to reconcile a 1980's table top dice game, with a first person simulator.

Heck, even the newest iteration of the TT Alpha Strike tries to streamline things and get them simplified and moving faster.

#13 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 24 November 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

If you are complaining about something you are not the target audience, because they do stuff for people who like the game. But somehow, the population keep getting smaller.

#14 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostMadcap72, on 24 November 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

The BT purist misery stems from them not realizing that MW is not directly based on BT.

It's tough to reconcile a 1980's table top dice game, with a first person simulator.

Heck, even the newest iteration of the TT Alpha Strike tries to streamline things and get them simplified and moving faster.

Seriously...I don't think we even have the processing power in 2015 to handle the stuff from TT. How exactly would PGI be able to implement switchable ammo types, gyro crit effects or program meaningful rewards for capturing planets??? Maybe one day, we'll have computing power and know how to make the BT landscape come alive but for now, we'll have to use our imaginations.

They really should remove the "A Battletech Game" tagline.

#15 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

A lot of people have more fond memories of missions and campaigns in MWO than the pvp. Most of the netcode back then was total crap and older games let you 2 shot assault mechs in a light if you put in enough small lasers on it.

MW4 was not any better than MWO right now. Most of my memories of MW4 were of two groups jump sniping the hell out of each other behind two mountains across a wide plain. Those 1 hour LL matches weren't all that exciting to watch either, despite the best efforts of the match commentators.

In essence, people wanted missions which is why Battletech will be a good partner game or an alternative game to those who just want to immerse themselves in lore.

PGI is working on the AI and they work close with the guys who do the lore so who knows what might come around in the next year or two.

#16 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

NullPointerException found at "single player bit", line 1. Application terminated.

#17 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 24 November 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with MWO. It is the perfect representation of a real time battletech simulator. The balance is perfect and so are the maps that cost $250k each for PGI to make. Everyone who disagrees is on an island.

Get off my island...

Posted Image

#18 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

Try Movie Battles II.

#19 Malagant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostMadcap72, on 24 November 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

Posted Image

#20 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

The fact that DICE was making the game lead people to hope that the new battlefront game would have more depth to it. Like another game series they made called Battlefield. Instead they get a dumbed down call of duty that is played in 3rd person view.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users