BJ-1x

39 replies to this topic

#1 H0wlr

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

So every time I go up against a BJ-1X in any of my heavies, it outright butchers me. Its medium lasers, with those quirks, just tears me to pieces. This thing chops off my main weapon(s) in a single alpha and utterly gimps me. What's more, I can't even torso twist to try and protect myself because it dispenses all of that damage in an instant, offering no time for a reaction. Is there some hidden weakness to this thing I don't know about? Can I exploit it before it kills me?

#2 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Make sure you front load armor, Especially in your big ol' heavies. It has paper torsos as it's only 45 tons. I usually pilot a HBK-4P so I use my 9 medium laser surgery laser to chop a side torso off. They love XLs so they can go down very easily. If you see one coming, call it out to your team and have them focus it down. They collapse easily.
Good luck!

#3 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

they run XL engines, punch his side torso in his arm pit. conversely you can "board" before you "sword" and protect your equipment to deliver your hit.

or preform the "armor rolling" as Kanajashi calls it, technique.

Edited by zudukai, 25 November 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#4 H0wlr

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

View Postzudukai, on 25 November 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

they run XL engines, punch his side torso in his arm pit. conversely you can "board" before you "sword" and protect your equipment to deliver your hit.

or preform the "armor rolling" as Kanajashi calls it, technique.

I know how protect myself from damage. The fact that the blackjack has -20% laser duration and 10%(?) cooldown makes the armor rolling technique almost impossible to use. If I'm in anything with wide hitboxes like the Mad Dog or Timberwolf, the Blackjack can easily core me. More so if the blackjack is using cooldown weapon modules. The thing is a beast.

#5 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostVabank, on 25 November 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

I know how protect myself from damage. The fact that the blackjack has -20% laser duration and 10%(?) cooldown makes the armor rolling technique almost impossible to use. If I'm in anything with wide hitboxes like the Mad Dog or Timberwolf, the Blackjack can easily core me. More so if the blackjack is using cooldown weapon modules. The thing is a beast.

yeah, hence the shielding before you attack. personally, i don't really have the issue, but that may be a solution for you,

you can hit a side torso from any frontal angle and even if he twists you can still hit is side torso by shooing his arm pit(i mentioned this) , keep the pressure up when he's close to being cored, since that will render him combat ineffective if not outright kill.

#6 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

another thing you could try is front loading your damage (SRM PPC AC/x), alpha, and avoid his retaliation.

#7 H0wlr

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

View Postzudukai, on 25 November 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

another thing you could try is front loading your damage (SRM PPC AC/x), alpha, and avoid his retaliation.

I'll to avoid them from now on honestly, or at least try to get the drop on them. Any pilot with a brain can wait for you to face them to fire your weapons, and in my mad dogs or timbies, the arms are pretty abysmal at shielding. Leaving you nearly out of options other than trying to get him before he gets you.

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

not... sure... if serious. :blink:

But if so, listen to zud, he says goodly things.

#9 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

View Postzudukai, on 25 November 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

they run XL engines, punch his side torso in his arm pit.

This^

Strip that armor, they run off.
Saw off that ST they die.

#10 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

Trying to solo a blackjack can be rough, best option is to wait until he is targeting someone else and leap in to shoot him. Target him and don't switch targets until he is dead, even if he leaves line of sight. When a friendly targets him, you will instantly get him targeted again and hopefully, he will be shooting your friend and spreading his damage between 2 or more mechs...

#11 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 25 November 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

Strip that armor, they run off.
Saw off that ST they die.

The nasty little hobbitses wants to kills us smeagol, dirty filthy hobbitses, why do they wants to hurt us and kills our precious? :P

And yes, they can be a beast (e-peen moment)..

Posted Image

..but their weakness is well and truly their RT/LT, either that or rear armor as we typically run front loaded for maximum brawlyness. That and FOCUS FIRE - what players should do for all serious threats.

Edited by White Bear 84, 26 November 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:30 AM

View PostVabank, on 25 November 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

So every time I go up against a BJ-1X in any of my heavies, it outright butchers me. Its medium lasers, with those quirks, just tears me to pieces. This thing chops off my main weapon(s) in a single alpha and utterly gimps me. What's more, I can't even torso twist to try and protect myself because it dispenses all of that damage in an instant, offering no time for a reaction. Is there some hidden weakness to this thing I don't know about? Can I exploit it before it kills me?

You are Clan, aren't you ???
Seriously how is it even possible that a lowtech underarmored 45T Mech is able to come close enough to you, to effectively use its weapons ?
The Clanmech users I know will just kill a Blackjack, not criple or damage just kill, with two salvos.
Use your Clan lazors with 1.5 times range or your half as weighty SRMs or your mindnumbing sight blurring dakka AKs.
No realy.
I always see Claners trying to get toe to toe to IS Mechs.
The only one thing IS Mechs are infact better due to their lower hps weapons.
Stay at med ranges, 350m and above and focus fire.

Edited by The Basilisk, 26 November 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#13 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:28 AM

Do we play the same game basilisk? This game typically devolves into brawls, SRM's are buggy and can often times not register damage, plus they require you to get well inside the optimal range of the Blackjack's medium laser range and dakka ac's are hard to track on a rapidly moving, thin mech. A good pilot in a Blackjack can easily decide a game. And the way they walk/run reminds me of when the timberwolf had wonky jumpjets that would cause people to miss often...It is a good mech.
Sorry but the days of claiming clan superiority are over.

Edited by Pat Kell, 26 November 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#14 Lord Auriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:07 AM

hm, clanner gets outplayed by very good IS pilot = IS mechs OP, pls nerf

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:26 AM

View PostVabank, on 25 November 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

I pilot mostly medium and have all the Blackjack variant.

Blackjack have few major weakness.
- Paper thin armour
- Mandatory XL engine
- No shield arm
- Insufficient cooling

BJ have about 45ish armour per side torso, with little way to soak it up using their arm.
A good 20~30 damage alpha will often worry a BJ pilot, breaching a side will often send him running for less dangerous prey.
Put your crosshair around their chest level to hit their torso; shoulder level would let them spread damage to arms, waist level will have your damage spread across 5 hit box(CT,RT,LT,LL,RL).

Unless it is a variant packing ballistic, most BJ cannot maintain a prolong fight due to lack of heat sink.
After 2 alpha, they will be riding the heat bar and start chain firing, massively dropping their combat-ability.

BJ thrive on backstabbing or engaging distracted target.
Most BJ doesn't work alone, unless there is a skilled pilot in the cockpit.
Your best defend is to maintain alertness, glance at the mini often to see have anyone spotted an enemy close by.
Don't tunnel vision on the first enemy you see, especially it is an assault or heavy. A medium is usually not far away waiting to engage a distracted mech.

#16 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:12 AM

As the others said ... BJs have no staying power.
A few well placed hits and they are gone.
And it requires a very good pilot to use the BJs mediocre topspeed.
Fastest mech is the 1X with just over 100kph and much larger hitboxes than any light and only one internal place for HS and for decent loadout XL and still just 8 additional DHS if you use medlaser and not med pulse laser.
It can't jump, it has a very limited operational window and gets instantly slaughtered if it steps just a little wrong or out of timing.
Sorry, maybe there is a timbi, maddog, or loki loadout ( dont know what you use that makes you exceptional vulnerable versus brawlers.
And the the argument "this game always develops into a brawl" lack of team coordination much ?
If you got weakspots in brawling lead your team to a position where you can build a long range firing line.
Use your strength.
Clan strenth are higher range and better stayingpower due to Clanxl and smaler DHS.
Also your heavy weapons are way lighter and smaler than IS heavy weapons.
WTH do you need else ???
Automated targeting ?

#17 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'm certainly not of the opinion that IS is OP; the 1X specifically however, is a little too good. It should not have received MORE quirks in its PTS run. If anything a little de-quirking is in order. I used to think it was just my perception that the 1X was OP, then I bought one on the PTS and mastered it out. It was much simpler and easier to handle then what I normally pilot x3

#18 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

I shoot them in the back with my Cicada.

#19 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:32 PM

Clan Streaks will make the BJ1X run for cover as will any decent light pilot or any decent pilot in any mech the focuses their side torso. I dont even see why the BJ1X would be a problem, unless he totally outplays and outmanoeuvres you, which is the same that can be said for any other mech in the game.

#20 WatDo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killin' your d00ds

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:45 AM

It's a half decent *IS medium*. You have 2 options - whine until it's nerfed to the point the only medium worth playing is the derpcrow again, or gitgud.

Again, it's a medium. Unless you're running an unskilled orion or quickdraw, no fresh heavy should fear the average blackjack.

It's 42 point alpha did not take off a fresh component on your heavy, and that alpha is still lasers, you can still roll it. it has a burn time of .6 seconds, you can still spread that to atleast one other component if you're paying attention.

If you cant hit its giant STs to pop its XL, aim for the legs. They don't have much more armor than a light and i assure you that's where most pilots will take armor off of first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users