Xeon E3-1231 V3 ?

8 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

OK starting to think about a new system. I have an i7 920 system now with 12gb of DDR3 and a GTX 660 with a decent 650w power supply and nice case.

I think what I might do is get a Xeon E3-1231 v3 and a MSI Z97 PC Mate board. I think it will work. Then use the same video card and power supply and maybe even ram for now. I have decent hard drives already but might chance to a solid state for the main drive.

Main concern ---- VALUE - MONEY --- There is not much money to go use. Really none but will see what I can come up with.

Uses. - Photoshop, Premier, 3DS Max etc. - Only game is MWO.
Also use it for Twitch Streaming.

From what I can tell the Xeon E3-1231 v3 is a huge bargain and fits my needs perfectly.

Also I do not normally overlock systems but worry more about sound level and long term system stability etc.

Any thoughts?

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 25 November 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Silme

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Good that you don't overclock, because you cannot with the Xeon line, regardless of the chipset. And I understand that MWO is your only gaming activity and jumping from 2.66 to 3.4 GHz is definitely a good idea, but MWO is incredibly CPU-bound and poorly threaded, so the performance scales almost directly with raw core speed rather than total processing power.

Hyperthreading sounds like it'll do you a favor on all of your other software, but won't help at all for MWO. For gaming purposes only, you'd be much better off with a non-HT unlocked cpu mildly OC'd to around 4.2 GHz.

Edited by Silme, 25 November 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#3 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

View PostSilme, on 25 November 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Good that you don't overclock, because you cannot with the Xeon line, regardless of the chipset. And I understand that MWO is your only gaming activity and jumping from 2.66 to 3.4 GHz is definitely a good idea, but MWO is incredibly CPU-bound and poorly threaded, so the performance scales almost directly with raw core speed rather than total processing power.

Hyperthreading sounds like it'll do you a favor on all of your other software, but won't help at all for MWO. For gaming purposes only, you'd be much better off with a non-HT unlocked cpu mildly OC'd to around 4.2 GHz.
Yes if I was only gaming or did more of it I would get an i5 and overclock it. And yes I know it does not overclock thats why I made sure to add that part. I think other people have reported this processor working great with MWO but will let them chime in.

#4 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

Had the exact same one

Can play this game with it on 60fps on ultra settings no problem

Go for it, value for money is great.

#5 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostcSand, on 25 November 2015 - 07:29 PM, said:

Had the exact same one

Can play this game with it on 60fps on ultra settings no problem

Go for it, value for money is great.
So just need to find some extra money and a cheapish motherboard to go with it.

#6 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

If you aren't going to OC it, then what about a B85/H81/H87/H97 Mobo, could probably save some money there.

Since MWO basically requires moar clocks, a 4790K is about the best, being 4.0/4.4 Turbo.

#7 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:07 AM

I use i5 4590 & z97 pc mate, with radeon 7950. I have constant fps at 60, with only drops on river city on water (through I beleve 7950 is to be blamed for that)(1080p,all maxed exept for aa or something like that). Was initially planning to go for 4770/4790 but decided to go for 4590 (~180$ vs ~360$ in my country so... Nah defenitely not worth it).

#8 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 November 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

So just need to find some extra money and a cheapish motherboard to go with it.

Someone down there mentioned an H97 based motherboard.. I'd go with that. You can't overclock a Xeon, so the overclocking features of the mroe expensive Z97 chipset aren't needed. Everything else between H97 and Z97 is identical so you will not be missing out on other stuff... just OC and tweaking abilities.

All that said the MSI PC mate Z97 is on for dirt cheap on NCIX.com for black Friday right now.

Sound levels - never heard my processor at all (had a Coolermater Hyper 212 cooler on there). Video card was the only thing that ever got noisy (Club 3d R9 290... was not that loud even at full speed ahead, great card)

Long term stability - it's a Xeon.. meant for servers which are on 24/7 for years non stop. Designed for the long term :D

Extra bonus - slightly lower power consumption.

#9 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

thing that I like about Xeons are this

this model is a 4 core 8 tread CPU which is similar to the i7 except it do not have Intel HD graphics

and the price is similar to the i5

support for ECC RAM with a WS board

run cooler than the i7 because of the controlled TDP

supports HT and Virtualization

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users