9 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

Just putting out a quick idea for the introduction of clan mechs to new players in the tutorial. This idea lets you add some lore while linking/chaining it off the end of the IS tutorial.
  • Determine a point in the new tutorial where a new player has learned enough about the basic game to introduce the clans.
  • Cinematic about clans attacking the academy and the recruits and Adams are forced to flee. Can show off the really nice clan mechs here with their looming and frightening designs.
  • Adams and recruits retreat to a different base and set up a new virtual training area where Adams can pass on basic clan info to the player.
  • At this point, the player can 'switch sides' and a new trainer (not Adams) teaches a new clanner the basics of clan stuffs. Can be patterned similarly to existing tutorial with t he exceptions of differences in tone/lore/mechlab.
I'd like to also suggest that this tutorial is a good point for lore introductions and CW after the clan tutorial. You can create one voice acted introduction for each of the IS houses and each of the clans (with the provision that it explains that there are many other factions in the galaxy in case more clans are added later or more factions for IS).

This can lead into making the player pick an initial faction (and teach how to switch faction and about faction loyalty rewards) and later move on to a tutorial about CW.

Anyway I don't expect things to be done exactly this way but I hope these small ideas help flesh out the main thing later on. :)

#2 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

hmmm.... clan stuff... batchall, honour, zellbrigen,... havent seen them in battle at all.
they fight like a bunch of rasalhagian freebirths in light mechs, explicitly including me.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostLolo van Trollinger, on 27 November 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

hmmm.... clan stuff... batchall, honour, zellbrigen,... havent seen them in battle at all.
they fight like a bunch of rasalhagian freebirths in light mechs, explicitly including me.

I don't think they have to emphasize the behavioral aspects of clans since you can't force players to act that way. They should focus on what the clans intend to do to the IS and about clan tech in the tutorial. This is mostly a shooter and not an RPG so focusing on RPG elements would be detrimental. Anything 'clan behavior-related' should be left up to how the trainer talks and acts without him telling the player that clans should act like this or that.

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:31 PM

Or, just rotate mechs to clan and trainer (can remain as "Adams") to have "clan speak".

That sounds like less work :)

Edited by dragnier1, 27 November 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#5 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostLolo van Trollinger, on 27 November 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Give me true clan tech and I will fight all the zellbrigen fights you want. And we fight in heavies, not lights.

#6 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

Excellent idea... would serve as a bridging effort to introduce new gamers to Community Warfare / Faction Play.

#7 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

Only if the Clan instructor is voiced by this guy

#8 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

At least if we were to see a DireWolf on top of a small building, it would make sense.

#9 Ixiom

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

I would love for this to be a thing.

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 28 November 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

I do think a tutorial for clans should take place in an entirely different map, unlocked once you finish the regular academy. No need to go through the expense of having an opening scene like the regular one... but it would ideally hint a bit at the lore that I love about clans;

Set it out in some place desolate and unpopulated, like Alpine Peaks. A very clannish introduction. The instructor will tell you about the difference in clan tech from IS, since you already know how to pilot your mech. Then you can run down to one of the bases and hop into the various trial clan mechs for a test run the same way you do with the normal academy.

Edited by Ixiom, 29 November 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#10 Illuzian Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 213 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 28 November 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

I could not help it...
He said "wouldn't"... this instructructor sounds like freeborn scum to me... Probably how he landed the training assignment, no chance to die in battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users