Gpu Upgrade Recommendations For An Existing Fx8350

18 replies to this topic

#1 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:06 PM

I am looking for advise on upgrading the GPU of my current system. My current system minus the GPU is listed below:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor with a closed loop water cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

MWO is the most graphically demanding game that I currently play. I would like to get a GPU that I do not need to upgrade again until this system is replaced in its entirety three or more years from now. Which GPU would work best with my current CPU and motherboard so that there are no bottlenecks? My biggest concerns when looking at a modern card are that the motherboard is only PCIE 2.0 compatible and the the system currently runs warmer and louder than I would like it to.

#2 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

As a fellow 8350 user.

Get the best you can afford.

There is no wrong choice, just get the GPU that is best for your budget.

What is your budget?

#3 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

I was figuring $400-600 or so. Just don't want the GPU to be limited by the CPU. I was looking at the GTX 970's, not sure if a 980 would be more than the CPU could handle.

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

Is MWO always going to be the only demand game you'll play, at least for the foreseeable future? Then get a 970, 290x, or 390, fall below your budget, and be happy. MWO just isn't going to use more than that, especially on an 8350, unless you plan on playing at some downright silly resolution (4k?).

If it's not, then whatever other intensive games will likely be GPU bound, not saturate that 8350, and I'd say get a 980, or 980TI if you wanted to get extravagant (but at that point I'd say get a 980 and put the rest away for a CPU upgrade). Some games will saturate that 8350 when fed a 980, sure, or even a 970, however the majority will not.

#5 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

If you have 400-600 to spend pick yourself up a $100 board, $125 Intel I3 and spend the rest on a gpu. This game loves IPC and intel CPUs

I built a system using a fx6300 @4.5 for a friend and It played alright. After talking to some people in the know here I rebuilt it (for exactly the same money) using a 3.7ghz I3 and minimum FPS more than doubled.

Also if you are playing mwo at 1080p on high most cards will do that just fine. Used GTX 660ti, 670, 760, 950, 960... and all of those cards can be had for 100-200 bucks these days.

#6 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

IMO since you have 600 dollars for GPU

go for the R9 390/X or Fury/X GPUs

save up for a new system neat year when you have more budget

Cannonlake should be arriving next year

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

You might wan'a bench you system before you get carried away with a new card, and see where you bottleneck is. MSI Afterburning providing framerates to HWiNFO64s' log, then viewed with GenericLogViewer does the job pretty well.

I remember a FX-8370E @ 4.2GHz didn't feel particularly fast, but somehow, another 100~300Mhz turned the corner.

A Radeon 1GHz 7850 2GB bottlenecks such a system badly: The gpu load is still a few points high too close to 80% when running around in the Testing Grounds, even with a fps limit of 42.

Don't worry at all about the "PCI-E 2.0" thing …

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:16 AM

$600? Eh

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7xDmQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....Q7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
Total: $599.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 08:16 EST-0500

#9 Dazi_Shimazu

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

Please stop suggesting a whole new system when he asked GPU, seems a typical thing these days. It can be quite frustrating to the poster when he asks one thing and gets told another. My suggestion is, if you have approximately $600 to spend, is a Fury or Fury X.The new Crimson Drivers gave me approximately 15-20% more frames and fixed a whole bunch of things making this the new bang for the buck. I was not happy prior to this... plus the next overclocking voltage unlocks allowed me to additionally overclock my Fury X to 1155mhz on the GPU and 570mhz on the HBM memory. I gained a larege amount of FPS from this too. Doing this actually gave me a large amount of performance for nothing, since I had the card, and the card still runs very low in temp. I have yet to push it past this prior to crimson drivers and after crimson drivers. If you are happy with AMD, stick with AMD. It is your decision ultimately and no one can tell you differently.

If you want AMD, There are many Fury cards under $600 and Powercolor has a Fury X for under $600 on Newegg.
If you want nVidia go for a 980ti, on Newegg Gigabyte and EVGA have 980ti products for $600.

If you want a system upgrade wait until AMD releases Zen and they bench that. That way you can decide what to do from there for yourself. The 8350 will do fine until that timeframe.

I was luckily able to get one of the limited run of the Asus Sabertooth 990FX GEN3 R2.0 to fill the PCIE 3.0 hole when it first came out and my 9590 sits in that.

#10 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

I run a GTX960 and it does beautifully. Not sure of the cost. If you are really wanting to save money, but still get great quality, look into a GTX750 Ti for about $150. My son uses one of them. Again, great results.

#11 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

As a fellow AMD CPU user; Get the best you can afford. A nvidia 970 or 980 will leave you with a bottleneck to your current cpu as will most gaming performance graphics cards due to the age of the AM3 chipset....but you can port it to your next full system upgrade which i would recommend you do within the next two years.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

GTX 980 or Radeon Fury. Get the most you can get now and use it in your next system.

#13 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Nvidia 970 is the sweet spot.
I get over 100fps, however my CPU is a newer Intel (5930K@3.5GHZ)
And the price is pretty good in terms of fps to dollar ratio.

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostKain Jackyll, on 28 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Please stop suggesting a whole new system when he asked GPU, seems a typical thing these days. It can be quite frustrating to the poster when he asks one thing and gets told another. My suggestion is, if you have approximately $600 to spend, is a Fury or Fury X.The new Crimson Drivers gave me approximately 15-20% more frames and fixed a whole bunch of things making this the new bang for the buck. I was not happy prior to this... plus the next overclocking voltage unlocks allowed me to additionally overclock my Fury X to 1155mhz on the GPU and 570mhz on the HBM memory. I gained a larege amount of FPS from this too. Doing this actually gave me a large amount of performance for nothing, since I had the card, and the card still runs very low in temp. I have yet to push it past this prior to crimson drivers and after crimson drivers. If you are happy with AMD, stick with AMD. It is your decision ultimately and no one can tell you differently.

If you want AMD, There are many Fury cards under $600 and Powercolor has a Fury X for under $600 on Newegg.
If you want nVidia go for a 980ti, on Newegg Gigabyte and EVGA have 980ti products for $600.

If you want a system upgrade wait until AMD releases Zen and they bench that. That way you can decide what to do from there for yourself. The 8350 will do fine until that timeframe.

I was luckily able to get one of the limited run of the Asus Sabertooth 990FX GEN3 R2.0 to fill the PCIE 3.0 hole when it first came out and my 9590 sits in that.

I don't see anyone that has suggested a whole new system.

What i do see is people rightly pointing out the 8350 as being a weak link. Because it is, it gets outperformed in many cases by an I3 and in some cases a dual core Pentium.

If we're being 100% honest he's better off not upgrading his GPU at all. He's better off sinking $300 into a new board and CPU that will perform for the next 4-5 years (or more) and saving the other $300 dollars for the next GPU cycle and the advancements those will bring (HBM2, DX12 compliance etc etc)
MWO still favors the CPU far more than the GPU.

#15 Chaotic Clyde

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

EVGA GTX750i I haven't had any problems at all. I have the same motherboard and processor.

#16 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

NVidia is currently running a promotion where if you buy a 750 from certain retailers, they will automatically upgrade it to the 950.

http://info.nvidiane...7HAKs1v3NsQXBXg

#17 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:39 AM

if you go for the fury check to see that your MB supports fury (i think i had read mine doesnt)

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

wat

#19 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades