9 replies to this topic

#1 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Created an account for my 4yo to potter around in and had difficulty setting it up, as the minimum date of birth/age was 14.

Is it possible for the account creation to have a 'parental guided' account option for supervised play?

Testing Grounds and Onslaught mode will be his limit for a few years.

#2 grayson marik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

Awesome idea! If such Accounts would have another Front Color or an icon on them, one would know how to talk and behave if such an account does something silly ingame ^^
maybe general chat quality would improve with a visible underage player in a match... hope never dies ;-)

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

Definitely nice idea to have an account option with only offline content (testing grounds/Academy/Single player campaing... hint, hint, wink, wink PGI ;) ) linked to a full adult account and the possibility of expanding it later on for other modes limiting to the grouping with the parental account and all chat read/write options unavailable (ie. the secondary account can only play live games while grouped with the parent account and no chat channel is visible).

#4 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

One question..

What parts of MWO exactly are "adult only" and not child-friendly?

I mean, don't get me wrong.. but most of my best MW experiences were done playing old MW games when I was a kid.. so if we take out the in-chat profanities (which are reportable and violations of the CoC, with consequences), what exactly is a child not supposed to be exposed to in MWO?

Conquest? Assault? CW? The mech lab?

I don't get it..

Isn't it logical to make your kid simply go through the Training Academy, and after it's "ready" to go to the live game.. let him/her? (A kid will probably learn hot to pilot a mech MUCH faster than an adult)

I mean, ok, a child is not exactly supposed to buy MC and stuff for real money, but hey, just don't give them your credit card info?

Or better yet, let them have their own credit card for gaming, controlled by you? (Maybe you teach them responsible finances while you're at it?)

I'm not trying to troll.. I'm genuinely interested as to what you think is not suitable for kids in MWO?

(Will have a discussion about this with my GF, she's a professional nanny, so she'll know better than me)

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 November 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#5 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:43 AM

I'm with Vellron on this one. Since MWO tries to balance everything out (within boundries) all advantages always come at a price and you learn it the hard way that you only excel by cooperating in the team. It rewards proper communication and to be brutaly honest every 10y old has probably seen more real death and destruction in daily news than it will ever see on an abstract and distant level in here. At least pipe it down to 12 ot put in a two password system for below 14y olds where the parents can unlock the session. If they are giving that away the second password it's their responsability.

#6 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 November 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

What parts of MWO exactly are "adult only" and not child-friendly?

The "O" part.

The core game is fine.

It's the players that are trash.

Edited by ice trey, 27 November 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#7 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:43 AM

View Postgrayson marik, on 27 November 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

Awesome idea! If such Accounts would have another Front Color or an icon on them, one would know how to talk and behave if such an account does something silly ingame ^^
maybe general chat quality would improve with a visible underage player in a match... hope never dies ;-)

wow, this is the internet, I don't believe this would work. Instead you just give some trolls a flame bait.

#8 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 26 November 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Created an account for my 4yo to potter around in and had difficulty setting it up, as the minimum date of birth/age was 14.

Is it possible for the account creation to have a 'parental guided' account option for supervised play?

Testing Grounds and Onslaught mode will be his limit for a few years.

I am completely for a child mode of some kind. Call it Tier K (K for Kid) or something.

I actually had a few instances myself in the past where a parent would come on VOIP/Team Chat with their child speaking and saying "Hello", and tell the team to possibly expect friendly fire because their son/daughter is young, doesn't understand fully, and thinks its a movie with buttons. We all understood of course, but options for a parent I think is essential if this is common.

If this is a thing now in the last couple years (which is completely fine by me), I think it should be addressed in some way.

#9 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

Fiona, was that a typo or did you actual write 4 year old. Four.

#10 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:56 AM

I actually had a heated discussion with my GF about this, and here's the synopsis:

I originally misread the OP and saw it was about a 14yo.

After I re-read the OP, and saw the child in question was a 4yo.. well.. that changed things dramatically.

My GF is a licensed child care provider / nanny.. Her comment focused more on the fact that a 4yo SHOULD NOT be playing videogames in the first place.

It should be outside, in the park, socializing with kids its own age, playing with legos or whatever.. Not playing videogames.

As a person that started early, I see nothing wrong with that, but then she pointed out that it's cose' of stuff like that we have a generation of kids glued to the screens of their phones, unable to socialize face to face, solve real-world problems, and believing real-world violence is normal.

I'm not sure I agree that video games are to blame, but I do agree that you should not let a 4yo play them too often. Such a kid should also go climb trees, pick flowers, build lego robots, race toy cars, and build sand castles. (I deliberately excluded playing with barbie dolls from this list, cose' that's a whole other topic of why I'm against them)

And if a 4 yo IS playing video games, make it play tetris, candy crush, card games, board games, and Starcraft. Those games are scientifically proven to make them smarter.

Your 4yo should not be playing MWO in the first place.. and if you're letting them, then you can't really expect PGI to make a child-friendly mode.

Not that the game is that much "adult", but wouldn't asking for a child-mode for a 4yo kinda be asking for 8-12yo legos be dumbed down to suit a 4yo?

The game is simply not made for 4yo..

And the sad bottom line is.. I don't think enough people let their 4yo kids play MWO to justify the financial cost of the Dev-hours needed.

Edited by Vellron2005, 01 December 2015 - 04:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users