Suggestions: Loads :-) (But All In Good Spirit ;-) )

1 reply to this topic

#1 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:05 AM

Hi there.

After having played the game for a while now there, I began thinking of some suggestions for the further evolution of the game. Some might coincide with already propsed stuff in here. So if you find something already propsed you can consider it my vote for that suggestion too.

Maps:
  • Bigger maps for more strategic gameplay. Some existing maps really tempt oneself to look what's behind the border ;-) But that's of course not meant for all maps, it needs some really cramped battles on really cramped maps.
  • I'd love to see destructable content on the maps. Perhaps being able to blow away those desert canyon stone bridges while somebody is walking on them or standing under them? Maybe trigger avalanches on snow maps? Blow up dams? Cave in tunnels? Endless possibilities :-)
  • Randomly moving parts on maps. I am thinking of moving doors, plattforms, flaps, cranes, elevators etc. HPG Manifold would be a awesome playground. Together with the above mentioned change it would greatly enhance the immersion with a random factor that is existing on real battlefields.
  • Balance maps a little. I mean that, let's take HPG Manifold for example, some maps concentrate the battle painfully to like 4 squares of a total of 27. It pushes fast battles, yes, but it also tempts pilots to go "I give a f*ck, I am going for the point" rather than really work together. Okay, maybe thats just for the wishlist. Not the most important thing to put on the suggestion list.
  • I was thinking the other day, while wandering through water on Forrest Colony, that all water surfaces on MWO are suspiciously even and flat and there is no deep water. Just imagining being able to hide yourself in deep water. Of course with the price of having very very bad sensory data but not beeing seen on heat or seismic. You could launch an UAV for better sight but you would have to get out of the water to fire.
Mechs:
  • How about "Death from Above"? If it kills my armor when I am dropping down, why couldn't it break an opponend when I would be able to stomp on him?
  • The proportions between the Mechs could be a little closer to each other. I read that already about the cockpit height above ground not feeling properly adjusted to the Mechs actual height. Those light are so damn small when looked upon by a tall Mech like a Hellbringer or a MadDog. Why I am not able to stomp on them (see above "Death from above" wish ;-) )
  • Since Mechs can be affected by other Mechs bumping into them (spawner brawl pogo!) there is the basic possibility of melee attacks. And that would make Mechs like the Hatchetman/Axeman possible. I admit it, I am a Hatchetman fanboy and I would love to see that Mech come to life. You would not be able to change the hatchet/axe of course and it would be very unique Mech with a standalone feature. But I would be willing to bleed MCs for that one.
  • If the cockpit screens would represent actual Mech data, that'll be great. I know they are in the pipeline, keep 'em coming ;-) I consider it more from an immersion point of view, might not be the most practical thing because they are rather scattered most of the time. But "no data" feels quite numb.
  • Would be great to have the possibility to jettison ammunition when the according weapon would be destroyed. Possibly by choosing the weapon on the fire group selection screen and then press the dedicated jettison key. The ordonance would keep lying on the battlefield and would be able to ignite when fired upon. So your ammunition could be used as a "mine". Or endangering yourself or teammates. Your choice :-)
  • I stumbeled upon the 3025 mode wish. I am completely in. Would be great to have that to create IS bsuccession wars battles. To be fair, we could need also a Clan version of 3025, where the Clans would be battle each other in trials.
  • Maybe a little out there, but there are several Mechs in the canon that have, wait for it, backfiring weapons (e.g. Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang as intensively described by the evangelist Michael A. Stackpole ;-) ). Should be very limited, medium lasers, 2 crit, very rare. But could be a very nasty surprise and would make create some standalone feature situations like the urbanmech 360 torso twist possibility. Could work with a picture in picture hud element. Ok, now I completely drifitng off ...
  • NARC: I would make the NARC weapon range bigger and also the signal range when attached. I would even go so far as to give it a short range ECM countering capability, so a NARCed Mech would rat out it's own teammates. The price? NARCs should hit a certain area like a normal weapon does and not always center torso. And it would fall off after said part suffers from a certain ammount of damage or is destroyed. All in all I would like to see more pilots using NARC and spending tonnage for it to serve the team and it would contribute to more realism of such a system in combat.
So, thats it from the top of my head. More to come possibly. Nevertheless I recon that it is easy to wish for stuff when others have to program it. So here's a hat tip to the game makers and a big thank you for constantly evolving the game experience. Keep at it, you are doing good :-)

Edited by Thomster, 27 November 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#2 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:49 AM

Most of these ideas are good, I'll get into specifics below:

Bigger maps war requested plenty of times, and to be honest, from the game's beginnings, the map sizes have increased at least 3 times (3 times I saw river city increased). The map sizes have most to do with the number of players being raised to 12Vs12, so as to not feel cramped or spread too thin. If the number of players were raised again, the maps would follow suit. To give the Dev's some credit, recently we have had 2 maps significantly enlarged (River City and Forrest Colony), and the dev's are working on other map reworks too.

Destructable content is also comming. Up until recently, we had no destructible trees. The dev's have said that all maps that have trees will be getting the new destructible variety in time. As far as blowing up bridges, I would like to see this too, but the dev's have made no mention of it. It sure would be a welcome tactical addition, especially if the destroyed bridge would block that path, making that Atlas have to walk all the way around..

As far as map balancing is concerned, yes, many maps need to be "decentralized". The problem with this is that its quite impossible to avoid, cose' its either "rush to center" or "nascar around". Its the players who need to fight differently, and choose strategies that use other areas of the maps. I do hope new maps don't have these "centralised nascar inducing features"

Deep water would be nice to see, and it has been requested often before. As of yet, no underwater combat mechanics have ever been officially mentioned.

As far as the whole "melee warfare" thing.. In the beginning, mechs could be toppled on collision. People abused this to such an extent that the game turned into a "UFC with robots". It was deemed that it was not in the spirit of the game, and abandoned. The dev's have said that somewhere down the line, they might consider melee combat, but so far, its not even on the back burner..

The 3025 idea is interesting, but I don't think the Dev's would be up for that. They've done "no clans exist warfare", and they have always stated that the game will progress at a linear pace, day for day.. Also, they are having enough trouble balancing a single instance of the game. Multiple instances would require a lot more people involved, and considering PGI is a small gaming company, I don't think they have the resources to do this.

Rear-firing weapons have been requested before, and denied. We don't even have a rear-view mirror, so I don't see using such weapons any time soon..

NARC will become more usefull when ECM range is reduced. I'm not that familiar with TT values, but so far, I've seen so few people fielding NARC that I'm not sure changing it would be worth the Dev-hours.

Well there you go.. those are my opinions..

Keep up making suggestions, but make sure they are lore-based, immersive and not in an arena-COD-WOW-E-Sport mindset..

Those don't fly well with us BT buffs.. :P

Edited by Vellron2005, 30 November 2015 - 04:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users