Dual Cpu?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

I'm working on a dual E5620 workstation right now and it occurs to me that I have access to a number of these. The E5620 is a four core processor with the option to hyperthread each core...mean these workstations could operate on 16 cores.

I'm considering it for a number of other reasons, but I'm curious if there might be any benefit to the game?

Edited by Makenzie71, 27 November 2015 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

I don't think so, already has a hard time getting the most out of 4 cores.

Dual cpu setups usually have lower clocks too, doesn't help.

#3 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

well as far as clock speed it's the same processor I'm running now and it does okay. I was just curious if the "more = better" mentality would apply.

#4 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

CryEngine has 12 named threads, which can seemingly only be placed on cores 0 through 5.

The main render thread really seems to choke on cores slower then 4GHz, if the factory placements are used; Giving "ca_thread0Affinity" a core to itself currently involves
sys_physics_CPU = 2
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
as thread0Affinity actually can't be moved, so you send its' mates somewhere else.

Smokiejedi thought you could name cores higher then 5, but I haven't verified it; Teh 22DEC2014 patch, where all the AMD FX users saw a major improvement, seems to have involved PGI moving some threads around, but I can only tell you how moving the four threads, listed above, stopped the last core on my i7-990X, where "ca_thread0Affinity" resides, from derping; Prior to that
r_WaterUpdateThread = 2
sys_streaming_CPU = 4
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
was the set …

#5 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostGoose, on 27 November 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

CryEngine has 12 named threads, which can seemingly only be placed on cores 0 through 5.

The main render thread really seems to choke on cores slower then 4GHz, if the factory placements are used; Giving "ca_thread0Affinity" a core to itself currently involves
sys_physics_CPU = 2
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 0
as thread0Affinity actually can't be moved, so you send its' mates somewhere else.

Smokiejedi thought you could name cores higher then 5, but I haven't verified it; Teh 22DEC2014 patch, where all the AMD FX users saw a major improvement, seems to have involved PGI moving some threads around, but I can only tell you how moving the four threads, listed above, stopped the last core on my i7-990X, where "ca_thread0Affinity" resides, from derping; Prior to that
r_WaterUpdateThread = 2
sys_streaming_CPU = 4
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
was the set …

I wish I understood enough about this stuff to know what you're telling me.

#6 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

… It would go in your user.cfg file, found the in the games' install directory …

#7 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

hey Goose,
I have a frankenconfig spliced from posts you've made, I have a stock fx8350 and have this user.cfg. my vid card is an HD7750 oc. is this a mishmash? should i change the cores?
  • d3d11_TripleBuffering=1
    r_MultiThreaded=1
    r_MultiGPU = 0
    sys_physics_CPU=3
    r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0
    gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
    r_DepthOfField=0
    r_WaterUpdateThread = 2
    sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 0
    sys_streaming_CPU = 2
    sys_physics_CPU = 3
    sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 3

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

I don't have a handle on what or where to move threads on an FX, sorry: All you can do look up what Smokeyjedi had done, at about the same time 22DEC2014 came along, and test a lot in River City Training Grounds.

I don't see a
sys_MaxFPS = 42
sys_budget_videomeme = 1024
sys_budget_soundCPU = 5
e_GsmCache = 1
q_ShaderWater = 0
r_FogShadows = 0
r_fogShadowsWater = 0
r_GeomInstancing = 1
r_silhouettePOM = 0
r_stereodevice = 0
r_UsePOM = 0
and those tend to be pretty important. I hope I got the VRAM on your card right …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users