- - - - -

Newbie Questions

13 replies to this topic

#1 Artyrockoll

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

I'm sure tons of people are going to be like, great newbie. Yuck. So right off the bad I'll apologize for being a newb. (Kinda.) I won't ask the basics like: What's the difference between balistic and lasers.

So I wanted to ask, what can you gain if use real money? (I've read stuff like you need real money to buy a mech bay, (I'm guessing that's a hanger). But can you buy something like that with in game money?)
What are hero mechs?
Is there some kind of daily bonus log in reward? Some games give a small amount of real money for logging in over the course of a week. (Like smite gives you 40 gems a week. I'm hilariously patient and cheap.)
I know the game is almost always a deathmatch kind of situation where if you die, you stay dead. But is there a game mode that let's you play till the time is up, and revives you after a period of time. (I've read that there's conquest, but I'm sure that's not all.)
How long is the longest game? I don't want to be stuck in a game for possibly five hours XD

And also where is Daishi?! Don't tell me there's a situation where he was sold only for a period of time and I missed it, or he wasn't invented yet!? (Sorry I forgot lots of the storyline and history of mechwarrior.)

Edited by Artyrockoll, 28 November 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

Mechbays can be earned via Community Warfare, or with MC earned through events or again, via Community Warfare. Real money can buy MC, and Mech packs. And MC can be used for hero mechs, mechbays, colours, patterns, and more.

Closest you'll get to a daily bonus is the x2 XP daily.

Daishi is known via it's Clanner Name, the Direwolf.

As for extended gameplay, closest you'll find'll be Community warfare, where everyone gets to drop in four mechs over a maximum of a half an hour.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 November 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

To expand on Leone´s answer (from one newbie to another :) )

The 2x XP bonus is something you get for the first victory with every mech you play, so if you have, for example 3 mechs, you can get that bonus once for each of those three mechs every day.
XP are used to "skill up" your mechs (yes, that is a darn stupid phrase)

Games last for a maximum of 15 minutes in solo- and group play. Since I don´t feel ready for CW (Community Warfare), I don´t have any experience there, but Leone already covered that (30 minutes)

Once you die in a match, you can either spectate (i.e. watching other members of your team fight - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a newbie, I leaned an awful lot watching other people play) or quite the match and grab a different mech to start another match (the mech you just died in will be locked until the match you died in is finished)

Game Modes:

Skirmish:
Your run off the mill deathmatch

Assault:
Capture the enemy base (basically, capture the flag)

Conquest:
Capture resource points (mines or something, that generate resources). The side that reaches 750 resource points first wins.

All those modes can also be finished by killing the entire enemy team off.
On time-out, win goes to the team with the most kills (skirmish and assault) or the most resources (conquest)

Note: I have some 200+ matches finished and I don´t think I have seen a time-out even once :)

Yes, all Clan mechs are called by their Clan names (bloody annoying for an Inner Sphere guy like me - Timber Wolf? What the hell is a Timber Wolf? Oh, you mean a MAD CAT! :) )

#4 Kryton77

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Mechbays can be earned during events that take place on some weekends.

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

What Leone said.

For the most part, real money gets you "stuff" faster, and customisation items.

Ignoring in-game events (which have varying rewards), the things that are available ONLY by spending actual real-world money are:
  • "Special" mechs. There are hero mechs, which are unique configurations of a particular chassis, usually with a special hero-specific camo pattern, that also give you 30% extra CBill earnings when you pilot them. Also, if you buy a mech pack from the website (not a mastery pack from the ingame store -- think the resistance packs, or Clan Wave X packs) then one variant of each chassis (the Prime for clan, a selected variant for IS) will also have a 30% earnings bonus. Finally there are "champion" mechs, which are a regular chassis that (typically) has had its configuration modified and, in the case of IS mechs, things like double heat sinks and endo already applied. These have an XP-earning bonus, which is nice, but perhaps useful for a limited time only
  • Paints. Aside from ?5? "basic" colours which can be bought with Cbills, all of the others are bought with MC (i.e. real money)
  • Camo patterns.
  • Cockpit items (warhorns etc).
  • Premium time. Premium time is an across the board 50% boost to your per-match CBill and XP earnings for its duration. Once it's activated, it runs continuously whether you're playing or not. Pre-ordering mech packs often gives you chunks of premium time as a bonus.
  • Mechbays. You get four to start. It's never enough ;)
In-game events (which happen at least once per month) often give some of these items as rewards. The most recent event, which is still running, includes premium time, paint colours (this is unusual), cockpit items, and MC (money!) as rewards, in addition to consumable packs, GXP and Cbills. You can, as Leone said, also earn mechbays and a few other items in CW by earning loyalty points for your faction.

Ultimately there's a Cbill-purchasable version of everything that affects how the game *plays* except the hero mechs; none of these are *currently* considered 'pay-to-win', as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Ano, 28 November 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

The developers have done a good job of staying away from Pay to Win for MWO. Paying money gets you things faster or earlier (which sometimes are not balanced the best out the gate and edge on P2W at first) but there is no gold ammo, or mechs that are inherently better. And buying a Timberwolf doesn't get you anywhere if you aren't experienced enough to use it effectively.

#7 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

Also also.

While I'm not saying "Don't do CW as a new player", it doesn't have a skill-based matchmaker so particularly as a solo player, you'll come up against organised enemy teams of experienced players. Particularly if you play with trial mechs and aren't doing well, it's possible members of your own team might be a bit irritable.

#8 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

Welcome to MWO! Here is a playlist of tutorials I've created for new players.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

looks like everything else has been dealt with so this is all I have to add.

View PostArtyrockoll, on 28 November 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

I'm sure tons of people are going to be like, great newbie. Yuck. So right off the bad I'll apologize for being a newb. (Kinda.) I won't ask the basics like: What's the difference between balistic and lasers.

no need to apologize,
helping new players (or even experienced players) is what new player help is here for,
very occasionally we get an id10t make a few unhelpful posts in here but all the regulars and the vast majority of people who post here occasionally just want to help, it is highly unusual for any negative comments to appear in new player help.

#10 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

So I wanted to ask, what can you gain if use real money? (I've read stuff like you need real money to buy a mech bay, (I'm guessing that's a hanger). But can you buy something like that with in game money?)

Can't buy bays right now with c-bills, but Community Warfare (Faction Play) lets you rank up with various factions and you can get mech bays even at the low ranks. Some people faction skip after reaching rank 4 to get more bays. Also PGI has events that give MC (to buy bays with) and chances to win bays.

What are hero mechs?

Different mech variant that has a +30% c-bill boost. Quirks and Hardpoints are different but it's been awhile since anyone thought these were stronger than normal variants. PGI has been tight on making them too powerful to avoid a P2W scenario. There were a couple of goto hero mechs in the past (Dragonslayer/Ember) but they were toned down so as not to upset the F2P gods.

Is there some kind of daily bonus log in reward? Some games give a small amount of real money for logging in over the course of a week. (Like smite gives you 40 gems a week. I'm hilariously patient and cheap.)

Right now you can get 2x EXP on the first win on each mech you own (and it works for Trial mechs too). Nothing yet as far as a daily login/task system in place.

I know the game is almost always a deathmatch kind of situation where if you die, you stay dead. But is there a game mode that let's you play till the time is up, and revives you after a period of time. (I've read that there's conquest, but I'm sure that's not all.)

CW/Faction Play lets you bring up to 4 mechs. Still not unlimited respawn but you get 4 tries in a 30 minute game.

How long is the longest game? I don't want to be stuck in a game for possibly five hours XD

30 minutes for Community Warfare (not counting waiting for it to start) and most solo queue games last 8-12 minutes.

And also where is Daishi?! Don't tell me there's a situation where he was sold only for a period of time and I missed it, or he wasn't invented yet!? (Sorry I forgot lots of the storyline and history of mechwarrior.)

He's called Direwolf in the shop and Direwhale here in the forums.

Edited by Elizander, 28 November 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostArtyrockoll, on 28 November 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

What are hero mechs?

My response is a bit late:
You may get that response "Oh great, it's a newbie" in some matches but you won't get it in this forum.

Welcome to MWO.

Virtually every question listed has been answered, but I'll add a personal touch to them.

For literally every aspect of MWO (except in the case of mechbays), the use of real money is a shortcut to reduce time spent acquiring things.
  • "Premium time" (while useful for making private matches without the full 24 players) is mainly to give you 1.5x the normal earnings of cbills ( ) and both kinds of Experience (XP, GXP) (1.5x means 50% boost as in 1x being normal income).
  • MC only consumables are basically the "fully unlocked" consumables that you can get (eventually) with cbills .
  • Champion ( C ) mechs are MC -only copies of regular cbill mechs by the same designation with a (supposedly) popular set of upgrades (engine, weapon loadout, equipment) already installed. I heard something about a recent change to include a very minor cbill income increase when using them to try and increase customer interest in them (as their experience bonus isn't very useful when the experience is mainly locked on that mech and skill unlocks do cap out) but don't know the details.
  • Hero Mechs ( Fancy names ) are MC -only machines with tidbits of lore, a unique paintjob, 30% cbill increase (1.3x if 1x is normal; yes it stacks with premium for a 1.8x or 80% increase)...and finally the real reason people like them is that they usually either mix attributes of two mechs together (Pretty Baby is the Awesome 8V and Awesome 9M slapped together into one body. Illya Muromets is Cataphract 4X and 1X duct-taped together.) or it can use something that the chassis itself can't (like a ballistic on a chassis known for only energy/missiles).
  • Pre-orders or fancy bundles; using straight cash is handy for getting mechs before they release with bonuses (which helps fund their creation). Said mechs will eventually be available for cbills within 1 to X months of their release (to those who pre-ordered).
There has been (and think still is) a 2x bonus experience for the first win you have (for every mech you own, since I own almost 180....yeah, heh) on a daily allotment (resets at 3 or 4 AM Eastern.

The hardcore mode known as "Community Warfare" (faction tab in game) allows for the deployment of 4 mechs, where for each mech that dies you can inhabit the next one of your choice (auto chooses if not chosen within a 30 second window).

Normal match length is limited to 15 minutes. CW lasts up to 30 minutes max for the last time I played...this may or may not still be the case.

Daishi, better known in MWO by the Clan-proper name "Dire Wolf", is available in MWO in its Prime configuration for 17,785,963 , which sure as heck beats the Battletech price of 29,350,000 .

Edited by Koniving, 29 November 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#12 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostAno, on 28 November 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Also also.

While I'm not saying "Don't do CW as a new player", it doesn't have a skill-based matchmaker so particularly as a solo player, you'll come up against organised enemy teams of experienced players. Particularly if you play with trial mechs and aren't doing well, it's possible members of your own team might be a bit irritable.

At the same time, playing against opponents that are better than you is a great way to get better. You do have to deal with some of the "If you can't accomplish X, you shouldn't waste my time in a CW match; go back to PUGland" people but fortunately most players are a little more mature than that.

#13 Artyrockoll

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thank you guys for the answers and warm welcome. Hopefully today will be my new game >.>

#14 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostAntecursor Venatus, on 28 November 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Once you die in a match, you can either spectate (i.e. watching other members of your team fight - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for a newbie, I leaned an awful lot watching other people play) or quite the match and grab a different mech to start another match (the mech you just died in will be locked until the match you died in is finished)

One of the best things you can do as a new player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users