65 replies to this topic

#1 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:34 AM

That one day heavy and assault pilots will learn where to go and position themselves. Instead of just chasing the tails of their own lights everywhere then whining about nascar.

#2 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

I have a dream, too...
That one day, people would learn to use usefull titles...

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

Basically a full lance of assaults and heavies start together. They could easily stay together and go from there.

The OP has it right. Lights always run off to use their speed and varied load outs. Chasing them is a mistake.

The problem is compounded by the amazing speed of some heavies however.

Edited by Johnny Z, 29 November 2015 - 06:55 AM.

#4 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:56 AM

I have dreams.
Of Lights who do not venture off on their own getting wiped while the team goes elsewhere leaving the team to be harrassed by enemy Lights.
Of players who do not Nascar leaving Assaults behind to get wiped thus giving the opposition a firepower advantage that wipes the rest of the non-Assaults.

#5 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 29 November 2015 - 06:56 AM, said:

I have dreams.
Of Lights who do not venture off on their own getting wiped while the team goes elsewhere leaving the team to be harrassed by enemy Lights.
Of players who do not Nascar leaving Assaults behind to get wiped thus giving the opposition a firepower advantage that wipes the rest of the non-Assaults.

From my experience it's the heavies and assaults that start the nascar. I've seen them many times charging into the nascar even when the lights have the furthest spawn and haven't started the flank yet. You need to learn that lights are supposed to work the flanks and get on backs, As assaults and heavies you are not supposed to just follow them everywhere.

#6 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

I have a dream that one day the playerbase will actually learn to use tactics as well.

#7 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

Sometimes I tell folks my w key is broken and I can't stop--they better follow my assault or I'm done for. :)

#8 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

This is why when i'm in a light and decide to move away from the blob early, i keep an eye on the minimap, and if i see freindly heavies or assaults following i type or say "don't follow me, i'm a light!"
It almost always works.

#9 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

This should be in the daily whine section not general

Just Saying ;)

#10 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 29 November 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

This is why when i'm in a light and decide to move away from the blob early, i keep an eye on the minimap, and if i see freindly heavies or assaults following i type or say "don't follow me, i'm a light!"
It almost always works.

Used to do that years ago, gave up when people didn't stop it.

#11 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 29 November 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

Used to do that years ago, gave up when people didn't stop it.

What can i say, i'm very stubborn! ;)

#12 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 29 November 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

I have a dream that one day the playerbase will actually learn to use tactics as well.

That'll never happen as long as folks are playing lemmings.

#13 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

I have a dream that one day light pilots will actually scout rather than nascaring and chasing the enemy's tail, leaving their team blind and then whining when they lose too many games.

#14 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostWinterburn, on 29 November 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

I have a dream that one day light pilots will actually scout rather than nascaring and chasing the enemy's tail, leaving their team blind and then whining when they lose too many games.

Don't blame lights for the fact that scouting means **** in this game.

#15 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:18 AM

View Postadamts01, on 29 November 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Don't blame lights for the fact that scouting means **** in this game.

Of course. Assaults have 360-degree vision and can instantly react to a threat from any direction with their ectremely fast positioning abilities. We know that because flanking is not and has never been a thing. Them arctic cheaters and sniper ravens are way better off sprinting off into the horison and roaming the wilderness free. Because teamwork, apperently, means **** in this game too.

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostWinterburn, on 29 November 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Of course. Assaults have 360-degree vision and can instantly react to a threat from any direction with their ectremely fast positioning abilities. We know that because flanking is not and has never been a thing. Them arctic cheaters and sniper ravens are way better off sprinting off into the horison and roaming the wilderness free. Because teamwork, apperently, means **** in this game too.

I think you're taking your anger towards something else out on me.

It doesn't sound like you play lights very often. Would you suggest we babysit assaults and not contribute to the killing?

Good lights can distract the enemy by hitting the flanks, kill their out of place mechs just as you mentioned being killed, rack up a **** ton of damage by poking from flanks all while keeping eyes on the team to return if needed.

Sitting around, waiting for enemy lights IF harass the team, is a huge waist of resources. Plus, mediums are far better for that role anyway.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 29 November 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

That one day heavy and assault pilots will learn where to go and position themselves. Instead of just chasing the tails of their own lights everywhere then whining about nascar.

I like this Dream. In my Dream, most of the Lights and MEdiums realize that wherever we are going, the Fatties need support, and so aside from a couple fast Light Mechs that go to actually SCOUT, they support their team.

And yeah, in my dream Light mechs actually provide scouting info on the enemy. Crazy, right?

Almost as crazy as the one time I had a dream that I got a team that didn't just hunker down and play hide and peek around whatever large terrain feature was at the middle of a map, but actually grew a spine, took the initiative and pushed into the opfor, instead of waiting to be picked off, one by one.

But I'm pretty sure that dream was from the anti.psychotics they gave me at the asylum.

#18 Rush Maguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRight behind you...

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

Go ahead and have your dream. I have a big, juicy, freshly cooked double decker cheeseburger, well done, with two layers of cheese, all the trimmings, and hot fresh fries, with a tall, cold orange soda for fire support. Nothing else matters. ^_^

#19 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 November 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

I like this Dream. In my Dream, most of the Lights and MEdiums realize that wherever we are going, the Fatties need support, and so aside from a couple fast Light Mechs that go to actually SCOUT, they support their team.

And yeah, in my dream Light mechs actually provide scouting info on the enemy. Crazy, right?

Almost as crazy as the one time I had a dream that I got a team that didn't just hunker down and play hide and peek around whatever large terrain feature was at the middle of a map, but actually grew a spine, took the initiative and pushed into the opfor, instead of waiting to be picked off, one by one.

But I'm pretty sure that dream was from the anti.psychotics they gave me at the asylum.

Haha would be nice but most of the time i go back to support assaults, the heavies just continue running away and you're left with a fools errand.

Also had plenty of the hiding teams today as well. Had one team where 3 assaults were hiding behind a rock. 2 Zeuses + a Dire. A single srm locust pokes the corner and they all turn around and start running away. I was just left scratching my head.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 29 November 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#20 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

View Postadamts01, on 29 November 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

I think you're taking your anger towards something else out on me.

It doesn't sound like you play lights very often. Would you suggest we babysit assaults and not contribute to the killing?

Good lights can distract the enemy by hitting the flanks, kill their out of place mechs just as you mentioned being killed, rack up a **** ton of damage by poking from flanks all while keeping eyes on the team to return if needed.

Sitting around, waiting for enemy lights IF harass the team, is a huge waist of resources. Plus, mediums are far better for that role anyway.

Well, there is nothing wrong with your logic, except:

1) There is not anger in me. I am simply incredulous that some people can nascar away to their heart's content and then blame the loss on someone else.

2) Scouting ≠ babysitting. I really want to make a comment along the lines of "how can you be Tier 1 and not understand this simple fact", but I would hate to sound condescending.

3) I have mastered Jenner and Mist Lynx and I know that you can do damage from any position. But flanking and scoring in a light when the enemy is engaged with your assault lance is way more efficient that nascaring and hoping one of the enemy mechs will be separated from the herd, so you can score a kill.

4) Sitting around with heavies can be surprisingly useful if you are piloting, say, a Mist Lynx, because they can't go at 150 kmph and use crazy hitboxes to run around under enemy fire. Your ECM and fire support, on the other hand, can save heavies a lot of trouble.

Other than that I see only rationalizing an objectively bad tactic and blaming losses on someone else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users