- - - - -

Thinking Ahead Of Cw...newb Needs Help

13 replies to this topic

#1 Badgerny

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hello,
With all the help that I received before, I started dropping and its been amazing fun. So far I have been running my shadowhawk, cicada and a raven. I am thinking in the future to pick up the firestarter and enforcer. The enforcer I tried the trial version and I really enjoyed and the firestarter seems to be way to go for the lights for CW, What I am curious about is in the future, when I decide to do CW, what type of heavy or assault should I be looking into? Or maybe should I pick up some other mediums? What do you guys recommend to kind of round out my deck drop? I know this if far in the future, but I kind of like to research stuff ahead of time.
Thank you again so much for your time, you guys are really the best

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

For IS side, I think Thunderbolt is a decent one, tried it in the past dropped with 3 of them and one filler, not bad. As for the assault I tried Highlander for defensive, or Awesome (if you up for the challenge :D) for the offensive. Though I'm guessing most people will say Banshee/Mauler/Stalker?

#3 Artemis Ellis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

I played CW using the clan mechs for a couple of games and the IS team we faced rolled heavy on the first wave. I remember a Banshee 3E rolling in and kicking people down followed by a Thunderbolt. I own two Banshees...95 tons of brutal. I also like the Thunderbolt and will probably buy one when I buy a heavy.

Maybe they would be good choices for uou.

#4 MrOp

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

Thunderbolts have been one of my favorite mechs for years, can't go wrong with them.

#5 Badgerny

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thank you guys, any specific type of thunderbolt or banshee?

#6 D0rsai

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:59 PM

9S for ER PPC goodness, 9SE for Large Wubs, 5SS for Medium Pulses galore.

#7 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostD0r541, on 29 November 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

9S for ER PPC goodness, 9SE for Large Wubs, 5SS for Medium Pulses galore.

Any of those, well, essentially you want 3 for the skill tree. My setup since last year 9S ERPPC Bolt, 9SE Wub Bolt, and 5SS Pulse Bolt never changed. Why the loadout? well quirks. (although I'm curious about the quirk change in the future)

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 29 November 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#8 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

So, not a fan of the thunderbolt myself, alotta other folk seem to like it. Well, actually, the TDR-9S, Ballistics-bolt has served me well.

However, something I'm seeing right now is with three Shadowhawks an a raven you have exactly 200 tonnes used. Might I suggest a decent 95 tonner to fill that last slot? oh say, a BNC? I'll admit, swap the raven for an FS9 and that's my IS drop load half the time.

~Leone.

#9 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:17 AM

https://docs.google....9accf3b35_134_0

check this out

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:25 AM

please understand, the Thunderbolts received great quirks, but the quirks all change with tomorrows patch and the great re-ballance,
assuming I am not misreading the quirks list the Thunderbolts are having there quirks toned down, which will make them less powerful than they are now.

Firestarters are not reliant on quirks so I would suggest possibly getting the FS9 now and wait a few weeks to get your heavy, then check where things are at that point.

#11 Badgerny

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:21 AM

Ok awesome thank you so I am definitely going to pick up the fs9 and guess wait for the rebalance and then get a heavy or assault and would dropping with 3 shadow hawks would be ok in the beginning or should I get more variety before I drop in Cw?

#12 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:03 AM

For a new player drop deck you may also want to consider a Cataphract. The 0XP can run a variety of builds, but the presence of ECM is always helpful to your team. Occasionally I will run 2 (with different builds) in my drop deck. As far as the other variants: the IM is a great mech for a dedicated AC5 or AC10 build as well. The D plays like the 0XP but with jump jets and no ECM. Ballistic builds are always a plus on hot maps where the T-bolt might not be as ideal (though I admit I almost always have a T-bolt in my CW deck as well).

#13 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts
  • LocationProbably stuck at work

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostBadgerny, on 30 November 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Ok awesome thank you so I am definitely going to pick up the fs9 and guess wait for the rebalance and then get a heavy or assault and would dropping with 3 shadow hawks would be ok in the beginning or should I get more variety before I drop in Cw?

You're almost certainly going to want more variety, and more tonnage. You've got 250 tons to work with so try to use as much as possible. Currently I run Misery, 2x Thunderbolts, and a Raven 3L in my deck. That's going to change tomorrow with the Marauder drop because I'm not a huge fan of the T-bolt, it's not a bad mech it's just not a good mech for me.

What I've learned the hard way is that if you're not comfortable in the mech even a Tier 1 isn't going to perform well. CW is great fun, but spending time in the solo queue to get comfortable in the chassis will go a long way to making your play better and your teammates happier. The events get me into CW, but I'm not at all happy with my performance and a lot of that is running T-bolts that I haven't spent enough time in

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostBadgerny, on 30 November 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostFamous, on 30 November 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

You're almost certainly going to want more variety, and more tonnage. You've got 250 tons to work with so try to use as much as possible.

while I do not completely disagree, 3 Shadow Hawks is not a bad place to start if you do not have heavier Mechs, despite what others say there is no point trying to use up all your tonnage if that means taking Trial Mechs or Mechs you do not have properly set up.

it is far better to take your best Mechs if you are comfortable with them, I am hardly the best player at MWO but I rairly take the full tonnage, and have had great success with dropdecks below 200 tonnes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users