Save Mwo. The Best Game Ever Made.

280 replies to this topic

#41 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

I kind of hope they go clan to start with as the mechs in clan are easier to manage in mechlab. Building an IS mech properly takes more refinement in my opinion.

#42 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

Thats the video of game play in full size etc. Had a tech issue on quality tho. Sigh.

I pilot at about 30% in this due to a huge head ache. I mean, when it comes to technical piloting... but the results the same.

#43 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 01 December 2015 - 11:25 PM, said:

How do you mean you tried it and it failed. There hasn't ever been a re-release before has there? With gamers from different back grounds I mean.

Closed Beta > Open Beta > "Released" > Steam

#44 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:17 AM

OP, you remind me why I hated it in tier 4. This battle is as bad as tier 4 can go. People running around doing strange things with no thought or concern for any teamplay or positioning. The enemy had advantage and suddenly decided to go at you one at a time for no apparent reason... It's just painful to watch. Coming to think of it, it's bad even for tier 4.

Hopefully, the initial boost will work well enough to not stuck new, but quick to learn players below their actual skill level.

Don't have sound on this PC as well, so only one notion for now: I noticed that overall match quality on tiers 1 and 2 (mine is 2) depends a lot on the amount of people currently playing. Outside of peak hours I usually easily do large amounts of damage and have many kills, overall - got a feeling I'm good at this game. On the other had, while within EU peak time, the overall quality of players I get dropped with raise significantly. I suddenly becoming pretty average, often get my rear center torso handed to me and I hardly ever manage to get an outstanding score. The difference is night and day, even though it's the same tier.

#45 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:55 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 01 December 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

This can go one of two ways. Your choice.

https://youtu.be/7fhuL7G5MGM

The full might of lowtax tried to and failed...

You are welcome to try.

Me? I like it just the way it is... irrelevant robit arena shooter...

#46 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:02 AM

this game had to potential to be the best..but in no way is even close to being the best of anything..and untill they stop catering the the crybabies it never will be

#47 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 02 December 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

Thats the video of game play in full size etc. Had a tech issue on quality tho. Sigh.

I pilot at about 30% in this due to a huge head ache. I mean, when it comes to technical piloting... but the results the same.

Posted Image

Dude, I can tell just by the way you position, how the enemy team moves, and the fact that you somehow survived at 1:32s, that this game isn't even remotely close to the higher tiers. Like seriously, you gave 3 enemy mechs a perfect shot at your back and you walked away with yellow armor? I've seen some bad players in higher level games, but none that are THAT forgiving.

Honestly, and I mean this will no malice or ill intent, but you really don't have any clue if you're talking new steam players overcoming veterans and finding success without learning the meta. I have no doubts some very good twitch shooters will soon have their names known in this game in relatively short time, but even a maxed out T1 player doesn't really have a clue either.

Here's generally how the order in MWO works:
T5: Underhive/New
T4: Below Average/New
T3: Average
T2: Above Average
T1: Good

I list T1 as, "Good," because it doesn't stop there. Not even close.

T1 (Comp Tier 4/Div D )
T1 (Comp Tier 3/Div C )
T1 (Comp Tier 2/Div B )
T1 (Comp Tier 1/Div A )

Getting into competitive play was a real eye opening experience for me. It's so much different than the solo and even group queue, it may as well be an entirely new game.

For example, a 12man of "insert average unit here" gets stomped by a 6man of SJR in the group queue. Average team thinks, "Man, those guys are good," or (if they're a complainer) they go, "Stupid tryhards!"

But that's the thing though. They "aren't" trying hard. They didn't stomp average team because they used superior coordination and/or strategy. In fact, there probably wasn't any strategy or seriousness at all. They probably weren't even calling out targets, instead likely just chatting casually over TS.

Nobody truly knows anything about the competitive side of this game until they've stepped foot into the league environment. My very first match in RHoD was against SJR. Now I "knew" SJR was a very good team, and have been stomped by them multiple times in the group queue up until that point, but the SJR I saw in that match was like SJR on steroids. This was the "real" SJR, and they were the stuff of nightmares. Hell, by the third and final match I was literally nervous and really, really, really not wanting to do another game. The level of coordination was nothing like I had ever seen. Their scouting was PERFECT. Their positioning was PERFECT. The way they pressed and herded my team was PERFECT, to the point that what we "thought" were good moves for my team, ended up just playing right into what they wanted.

I started playing serious with SiG as we played in MLMW, which started early 2015. Now, after nearly a full year of participating in MRBC and attending dedicated practice 2-3 times a week, I finally am starting to understand this "competitive" thing, despite the fact my individual skills have remained mostly the same for much longer.

TLDR: It doesn't take just getting proficient at shooting and piloting in this game, nor does it matter if you run the meta loadouts, low graphics, etc. It doesn't matter if you're T1 max and routinely being the MVP of the solo queue. There's a whole new world out there in league play, and it's extremely humbling. You can't truly say you understand this game until you've seen that side of it first hand.

Edited by Aresye Kerensky, 02 December 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#48 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Reading, but in the mean time. I play to the skill level I'm in. And if you read the description of the video.., wait, I'm sure you didn't.

I gave my back to them to bait them on cool down. If you watch they all just spammed their shots into me for no gain. So I bait them around and then step away.

I don't play like this when I have any kind of actual threat.

#49 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:44 AM

And I agree with the tier stuff you are talking about. Maybe I should put together a tournament team? Does it need to be from the same unit, or can you enter as a 12 man regardless of affiliation?

When I was in competitive Btech 3025, the only people who understood the game were the top 5 players in the world. The next 5 kind of got it. When I was 10th, I thought "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!" BUT... then you face the number 1 in the world and you get WRECKED. Properly wrecked.

Then you do it again 100 times and you get wrecked every time. It wasn't til I was 3rd that I started to challenge the top player, to apply some pressure... still never DID beat him though. Not in a whole year of hunting for him. The guys brain just worked on a different level all together.

The thing that irritates me so much about this game, is that I don't even feel the need to try, because I can do 1K damage, 5 solo kills, and lose the game, and STILL get a pilot rank down, because the team did horribly. And they do it on purpose.

They don't care about winning, only about getting their cbills and xp. It's rather pathetic treadmilling. That's like... well just insert life wasting time consuming pointless ******** for the SAKE of it. At least in CS:Go which is likewise a waste of time, you get to COMPETE. There's no competitive drive here in the general game itself.

I've started to care less about the team in general, and just focused on shooting things, and the tier is moving up slowly. Which is fine. I just came in with a concept that people would want to play together, you know, in an online game.

So horribly misguided.

#50 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:53 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 01 December 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Mischief. Thanks for the comments. I'm working out what parts have value at the moment.

[color=#959595]Communication is poor because it has no reward. There isn't anything like an 'economy' in CS like there is in MW:O. The grind serves a different purpose. The cold, hard, poorly designed truth is that it's generally going to pay you better to not tell anyone and secure the kill yourself than it does to tell someone who gets the kill or, more likely, when 3 teammates all suicide-rush the target hoping to steal the kill first.[/color]

It makes me wonder how hard you guys have been "carrot on a stick'ed".....

CS:GO has no grind except to WIN. There is no economy, yet it is one of the most played games in the world AND it has a constant influx of new players.

Perhaps if everyone decides to stop chasing the carrot, so will this game...
???

The carrot *is* the game. All there is to do is chase the carrot.

CW is ****. A huge steaming pile of it. It isn't going to get better. That would, again, involve a depth of gameplay that ironically a core segment of the game would revolt against. Ergo there is not other carrot.

We tried an Elo style ranking system for a while. It failed. Know why? Because people would rather suicide and lose the match in order to get 1 extra kill or save themselves from dying rather than make the smart choices to win. Your cbill and XP earnings plus your KDR are the only carrot in this game. The behaviors you're talking about are discouraged both by the games design and your fellow players, specifically because they don't care any more than you should about the win. They care about their own stats.

Conversely it sounds like you've never really run into the top tier players here. They don't need to communicate much (save in really competitive league matches) because every match pretty much plays out the same. It's one of the ironies of the game. There's this huge amount of potential customization so it feels like the game SHOULD be full of variety.

In reality though because of PGIs approach (or refusal to approach) to game/weapon/tech balance there's always going to be a very limited group of mechs and builds that are significantly superior. It's the nature of quirks and significant IS/Clan tech imbalances. Also map design is mostly pretty bad; it's MOBA map design. A couple choke points, a couple superior positions, plus a bunch of other places nobody ever has a reason to go.

That's why everyone here is so salty. The game has stunning potential. It could offer things no other FPS game does, by a big stretch. That would however require some significant changes to game design and PGI has over the last few years made it clear they are unwilling/unable to make those changes, in part because a big part of the playerbase doesn't want them to. They want.... this. Exactly what you see. They want to shuffle the quirks a couple times a year and they want to pay $60 for a new mech a few times a year and pretend it's 'new'.

Glad you're all peppy. Good luck with that. The shine will ware off, you'll see why there is a 'meta' and you'll see why it'll never change and you'll either stay and be bitter or move on. Generally a mix of both.

#51 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:57 AM

So it's PGI's FAULT that the player base chase a carrot. Should they remove cbills and **** completely? Because it's YOUR choice to chase it. Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to.

#52 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 01 December 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

Ezekeel666. reported.

Jokes. kind of like your gene pool.

What kind of person reports someone insulting them and then insults them in the same breath.

Oh man Envisage, give it up.

Three+ days of this garbage. No one cares, the CS community won't touch this game because, and brace yourself for this:

They are playing CS.

#53 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:01 AM

Going by what you say Envisage, i will be expecting you to be a top tier player in the next couple of months, time for you to start displaying your tier, and putting yer money where yer mouth is.
Talk is cheap! as they say.

#54 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

Maybe PGI should give rewards on nothing OTHER than Win Loss. Perhaps THAT is the solution. Maybe THEN people will communicate. Maybe THEN, will the use of support mechs become common place, instead of 1 v 1 monsters. MAYBE THEN people will stop complaining so much about balance?

LRM's might do crap piercing damage across a spread of 10 games (even though they do great in the occasional) but man are they good for tactical fire. But you don't see any AMS, Narc or TAG... because they take cohesion and strategy to use properly.

If there was no solo rewards... maybe there would be less solo mindedness?

And people talk about CS:GO players like solo rambos lol.

Pika, I can only assume English is not your first language so I will explain what you mis-read.

I didn't report him. I said "Jokes". As in, no, just kidding. I was joking. You didn't get reported. I was not serious. ETC ETC ETC.

THEN I insulted him.

KHETTI, Tier 1 in 3 months is doable? It seems like quite a grind but I know some people I can group que with that would get me out of ELO hell. (or tier matching hell in this game).|

You can always invite me to drop to see if I know how to hold my own in the high tiers. Talk is cheap after all.

#55 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 02 December 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

Maybe PGI should give rewards on nothing OTHER than Win Loss. Perhaps THAT is the solution. Maybe THEN people will communicate. Maybe THEN, will the use of support mechs become common place, instead of 1 v 1 monsters. MAYBE THEN people will stop complaining so much about balance?

LRM's might do crap piercing damage across a spread of 10 games (even though they do great in the occasional) but man are they good for tactical fire. But you don't see any AMS, Narc or TAG... because they take cohesion and strategy to use properly.

If there was no solo rewards... maybe there would be less solo mindedness?

And people talk about CS:GO players like solo rambos lol.

Pika, I can only assume English is not your first language so I will explain what you mis-read.

I didn't report him. I said "Jokes". As in, no, just kidding. I was joking. You didn't get reported. I was not serious. ETC ETC ETC.

THEN I insulted him.

No English is indeed my first language, I just know how it flows and how a keyboard works as well as the difference between spoken and written.

But hey, you know, avoid the topic and carry on your 'trolling' and chest thumping. :D

#56 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

You know what though. When I do drop with tier 1 guys, it's just a murder ball farm spree. It takes advantage of the 12 drop hitting disorganised players and absolutely smashes them with speed and aggression.

I think I need to actually put together a tournament team. It appears to be the only place where strategy matters.

Pika, what are you on about? Just re-clarify because I really don't know what you're on about mate. Do you actually think I reported him or not...

Edited by Envisage, 02 December 2015 - 03:07 AM.

#57 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 02 December 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

I should put together a tournament team? Does it need to be from the same unit, or can you enter as a 12 man regardless of affiliation?

yes put a team together and don't even bother signing up for a tourney first... just play skrims to get a feeling of what the comp scene is all about...

#58 RunWithRandoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

Play with me Mycrus!

#59 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostEnvisage, on 01 December 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

your TL:DR is amusing. Thank you.

Would you like me to do a Welcome to the NEW MWO video, angled at you vets? I have time today... but it would be at least 15 minutes long of talking. I can't get THROUGH to you guys in 5 minutes unfortunately.

give it a shot.

#60 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

As an Over The Hill Mechwarior who has been into online gaming since the eighties and settled into MWO permanently unfortunately who.

Who is CS: Go?

Just curious is all. I assume its a guild.of some sort

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users