11 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

After trying a number of mechs to see if I could really "feel" the quirk changes I had to turn off the new cockpit light show. The reason? Depending on the mech it made seeing my weapons panel, damage indicator, or other more essential items near impossible to see clearly.

While the new cockpit "light show" is pretty, and is sure to really impress new Steam users (NOT!), its overall layout and what other info they may cover up needs further inspection.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:21 AM

It adds Immersion though i like the IS Screens more for their choice of colours which is more military like - on the other hand do i hate the Clans anyway - to bad voting is still there.

#3 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

I agree with the immersion aspect. But in some of the mechs they were making the grasp of more important battle data very difficult. Instead of glancing at the info you have to stop and study what is under the pretty light show causing you to remove your attention from the battle longer than is needed. PGI doesn't need to redo all of the mechs, but they do need to consider moving the displays on those that interfere with the efficient gathering of battle data.

#4 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

View PostChaosity, on 02 December 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

...PGI doesn't need to redo all of the mechs, but they do need to consider moving the displays on those that interfere with the efficient gathering of battle data.

OR put that battle data ON those monitors and getting rid of the HUD except for the crosshair and compass, THAT would be good for immersion. Flickering pointless disco lights in my face do nothing to make the illusion of mechcombat more real.

#5 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

I like the check box to turn the infernal things off.

#6 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I like the new displays.. full stop. I understand the current graphics are placeholders for future graphics that display more game relevant data. Sounds good. They are a step in the right direction and should be expanded. Love them.

Things you can also are:
Reactor core graphic that shows tremors, fluxuations, damage, etc
Environmental info such as temp, radiation, atmospheric composition / vacuum.
Heat sink cooling efficiency related to temp, direct splash from heat sources, direct sunlight in a space environment, immersion in liquids etc..
PIP if possible (even simple, low res)
View from UAV, satellite link imagery
View looking directly behind or below, missile eye view (always fun)
Mission objectives and update: essentially reprints of who killed whom from chat, who has possession of which conquest base
Warning notifications: Being pinged by radar (instead of flashing light in cockpit). Damage warnings, heat warnings - text versions of what betty is saying
Have the displays able to be affected by damage, static from EMP/PPC

#7 Brian Windover

Lead Programmer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

We do have ideas for the cockpit screens which we will get to tell at a later date. Of course we will be adding more functional information, then just the what you see now. The process was to make the cockpit screens do something rather then nothing and build on it.

Cheers

#8 Dark Bard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostBrian Windover, on 03 December 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

We do have ideas for the cockpit screens which we will get to tell at a later date. Of course we will be adding more functional information, then just the what you see now. The process was to make the cockpit screens do something rather then nothing and build on it.

Cheers

Brian, in last patch hud performance became better(as im know, now hud drawing less often), but on my system its all the same, when fps ~80 and i switch off hud fps grows up to ~95. What's wrong with hud? In other games usually hud not taking so much resources. Maybe you can take out hud drawing in other thread or something else? May be its possible, for example, to make mobile applications for map and stats drawing and give options to not draw that?

Sorry for offtop and thanks)

#9 Brian Windover

Lead Programmer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

Some of it comes down to using Action Script 2 and it blocking when we send data from our C++ side to Action Script 2 side. Another part of it is we are using an older version of Scaleform which doesn't do batch rendering very well. We are going to continue to be making optimizations to the HUD, also some other plans coming for the HUD that I can't talk about right now :).

Cheers

#10 Dark Bard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostBrian Windover, on 03 December 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Some of it comes down to using Action Script 2 and it blocking when we send data from our C++ side to Action Script 2 side. Another part of it is we are using an older version of Scaleform which doesn't do batch rendering very well. We are going to continue to be making optimizations to the HUD, also some other plans coming for the HUD that I can't talk about right now Posted Image.

Cheers

Thanks for answer)

#11 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

Holy cow

After years of blank screens we finally get stuff on them and now we get to see people complain about what's on them.

I can't wait for PGI to finally give us decals so we can finally see some stupid complaints about those too!

While I myself would prefer to have the majority of the hud transferred to these screens, I'm just thankful we have something now.

Edited by Destructicus, 03 December 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#12 Varvar86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 441 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:40 AM

New screens are not bad, but they can be annoying from mech to mech. For example - ebon jaguar have only few screens on your field of view and they are not distract your attention. But on Enforcer there is 6 monitors around the main window and all that flickering bright lights can be very annoying.
Anyway this is Good start. In first steps of improvement it might be a little tone-down for the colors saturation and adjustable brightness connected to existing “L” control button to tone down all cockpit lights and monitors.
Second steps – useful live feedback information like hitskins left, ammo available, heat level, damage done, speedometers etc. All live refreshing info will give players more feel of the functioning, huge and complicated war machine they are piloting.
And final - mech damage visual feedback for cockpit. Flickering monitors after taking hit, monitors went off to “no signal” or crack when less than 50% health, broken parts and hanging sparking wires when less than 30% health. Etc.
Cockpit is what players see all the time. Good live feedback of all mech systems will be great. Of Corse this is not main work to do, balance and new content is more important.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users