Are Clan Assaults Worth The Money

8 replies to this topic

#1 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:56 AM

Since the buff to IS and the nerf to Clan mechs are Clan Assaults worth the c bills anymore. The up front cost of 3 king crabs ~30 million and the upfront costs of 3 direwolves is ~ 51 million. Ok to get the king crabs to frontline condition will cost more the direwolf but not 20 million over 3 mechs. If Clan and IS mech are closer in performance they should be closer in cost

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

Give it 2 weeks and then check.

Let the comps figure that stuff out of you dont have a preference for a 'fun' assault.

If you drop Solo, i would say Warhawk but you have to have good positioning skills.

If you drop Group or CW, ask your Unit.

#3 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

I thought I'd go with Direwolves for my first Clan assaults - I have the usual IS Assaults - AS7-D-DC, AS7-S, STK-4N, all the KGCs and even an AWS-9M.

I just couldn't get on with the Direwolf at all - slow, nearly immobile and always a focused target - dying in no time - ended up selling it for a huge loss. I mostly PUG just lately and I expect the DWF is not an ideal pugging machine. Needs considerate friends

Edited by DaveRatters, 07 December 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

DWFs are still good. WHKs are slightly less good because of the gauss+laser nerf. EXE are now better I think because the MASC actually makes a huge difference now compared to before. But the GAR is still pretty bad.

#5 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

To be selective with my responses, I'd say yes and no. It depends on the Chassis and how you play. I do agree that the DW is a huge fire magnet and needs to be supported always to be effective killing machine it is.

I heartily recommend the Warhawk. Its a very refined and agile assault mech. Only issue is the stupidly low weapon placements, including the missile launcher slot. I believe Gargoyles are rare for a reason and from what I've heard from a friend and seen Executioner is a good platform.

#6 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

Direwolfs are easily my best assualt mech, from Dual Gauss & 2ERLL or 5MPL or triple UAC10, 5xUAC5 are still king of the battlefield IMO (just dont get into punching distance of a 100% healthy Atlas or high Alpha builds). Fit with JJ for manouverabilty and for a guy who doesn't like piloting Assaults much this thing just breaks mechs infront of it into tiny pieces, but still play smart, getting focused will still kill you quick enough, plus reds don't like Dires.

#7 nimdabew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:50 AM

Warhawks are better in almost every way. Get those first. They go nearly 70kph after speed tweak.

#8 Veerwing

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

Hey AB,

I hate to say it, but the trick is to buy the Clan Mechs when they are on- sale... We'll be switching contracts soon so that everyone can get some free Mech bays. Just remeber you want to have 3 of the same chassis (variant). Just message me in game if you need anything else.

P.S. Welcome aboard to Jade Cry!

#9 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

Ive had absolutely no problem with the clan Assault mechs (OK, the DWF was before the speed nerf). Each mech has its strengths and weaknesses and should be played accordingly.

GAR- Play like you are sitting in a well armoured Medium mech. These beasts are fast but have a comparetively low weapon loadout and/or high heat. Wait till the opponent is in a fight. Move in fast, take out critical components/targets and retreat out to lower your heat. Rinse and repeat.
EXE - Play like you are sitting in a more mobile heavy but with a lower normal speed. Use MASC only when in a fight and you need to corner, decelerate or accelerate fast. Never use MASC just to move faster as the leg damage is not worth it. Other than that you can play similarly to the GAR.
WHK - Play like an IS STK but with more mobility. You are big, you have big weapons but you are vulnerable to being flanked due to the unflexible arms. Anything infornt of you is fair sport.
DWF - Like the WHK, you are big, bad and can deliver absolutely devastating destruction to anything infornt of you. You can carry more weapons and equipment than a Hunchback weighs even after your armour is completely maxed out. The downside is that you are just about the slowest thing on the battlefield (bar a stock Urbie) and need to plan well in advance where your teammates and the opponents will be in a minute into the future. You really need to know the maps by heart and the standard tactics played on each of these to be even remotely effective. The DWF is not a mech I would ever suggest to a new player who does not know these things. The low speed and large size mean you are a prime target if you are found running alone behind your teammates.
In effect, you are a very mobile turret (compared to a fixed turret that is) that can shoot targets infornt of it, but is in trouble when left alone or being flanked.

The most important thing to remember (This holds true to any slow mech, not just Clan assualts); If you are being circled by a smaller faster mech, never move forwards chasing them. Stop and put your mech into full reverse while using your torso twist to its fullest to be able to better follow the circling mech. Reverse does not mean backing away from your team. You can still move in reverse while still moving towards your team if you first make a 180° turn.

The reason for this is that your torso twist may not change no matter what speed you are moving at, but your mech turning radius is much, much larger when moving faster. The circling mech will however be forced to run an eliptical orbit around you with more time infront of your mech and thus more time for you to shoot it. The opposite holds true if you are moving forwards, that eliptical orbit means more time behind you and thus more time to chew away at your weaker rear armour.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 04 February 2016 - 02:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users