Is It Just Me Or Were Killing Clanners Easier Before The Patch?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

Is it just me or were killing Clanners easier before the patch?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Everything but Ebon Jags. They seem a bit softer. On the opposite end: Crows though...damn, but they seem nigh indestructible.

#3 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

It's just you.

Or rather, whoever thinks clanners are actually harder to kill now is wrong.

#4 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

Not really having any problem killing them after the patch either myself.

#5 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:27 AM

They are considerably harder to get kills from... The damn things are smoking wrecks way too often before I get them on my sights. Posted Image

#6 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:48 AM

They kill us as much as we kill them, hard to tell what the balance is like as it depends on player skill a lot too.

I see good Clan players wrecking but i also see good IS players wrecking their enemies.

#7 EldenLance

• PipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:08 AM

They've buffed two of my favorite chassis with structure. Now what I see is that clanners are having hard time killing me, and not vice versa. And I've found a nice replacement for the 1n. I'm fine with the patch.

#8 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostAlec Braca, on 05 December 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

Is it just me or were killing Clanners easier before the patch?

It is hard to kill well organized 12 men pre-mades...

#9 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

I wouldn't say it easier to kill Clams but it taken longer to kill you guys, but more points for clans Posted Image

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

After more play my experience is thus (FYI, I am totally unaware of any buffs or nerfs of clan mechs before or after the last set of patches so this is really just what I am seeing in game before and after the patches):

Tougher:
Stormcrows, which were always tough seem much more so. Warhawks seem to have a bit more toughness. Adders too seem to take a lot more punishment as well.

Weaker:
Ebon Jags torsos seem A LOT softer...I've never killed so many of these things and I rarely get kills in the first place (I suppose my observation here could simply be a result of clan teams just bringing more of these than normal?).

Timbers, Hell Bringers and Cheetahs feel about the same.

I've only seen 1 Dire this whole event and maybe 2 Executioners (which seems odd) so can't making any judgement there.
The rest of the clan mechs have been MIA in CW so no observations there.

#11 Taxi Hayate

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

I don't think that clan mechs are harder to kill after the patch. But imo the IS mechs are easier to kill now and there is a reason for that. Many IS chassis have buffs in "endurance" quirks. PGI took the points of armor and structure quirks an made one quirk for structure. In many cases they raised the points for structure over the old values. On the first view that looks very good but the thing is, if you want to have firepower like a clan chassis you need an XL engine. But if you have the points only on structure you are vulnerable on critical hits. This means in the case of an XL your death. So torso twisting is much more important than before.

#12 Ventarles

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Well for sure it's a lot harder to win a pug vs IS for us now. 5 CW today 5 loses... and all of them pug vs pug. And i have felling that some IS mechs can take twice the dmg that they could before patch.... Ughhh those blackjacks... suriving 148dmg (12x small pulse lasers) from 150m... And still killing you in Gargorgyle... an Assault mech almost fresh. WTF moment for me today.

Edited by Ventarles, 06 December 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#13 old man odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

There's no balance reason for that to be the case. It's quite possible that more strong teams are active in the Clans for the CW event than usual but that's the only reasonable explanation for what you're experiencing.

View PostBud Crue, on 06 December 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

After more play my experience is thus (FYI, I am totally unaware of any buffs or nerfs of clan mechs before or after the last set of patches so this is really just what I am seeing in game before and after the patches):

There were across the board nerfs this patch and specific mech quirk removals. Only a handful of under performing chassis got small buffs. The clans also got hit hardest by the skill tree changes as they weren't given any of the mobility quirks many IS mechs got. XLs, lasers and heatsink capacity were all lessened in the rebalancing. The Adder is one of the few that got buffs worth talking about (energy heat gen quirk) and it's still an Adder.

IS almost universally got buffed, with the exception of some of the really large weapon quirk mechs. If you were relying on things like the DRG-1N, TDR-5SS or HBK-GI you'll need to switch things up. Black Jacks were the big winners and pretty much every Heavy other than the TDRs and DRGs got buffed. SRM brawlers have also made a comeback, though not particularly relevant to CW. IS DHS capacity were buffed.

You may also have been affected by the Gauss nerfs, which apply to both IS and Clan.

As far as mechs you specifically mention:
  • Timber Wolves, Ebon Jaguar, Hellbringers, Executioners, Stormcrows, Dire Wolves and Warhawks all got hit by the large generic nerfs but no specific ones. They're straight worse than they were before.
  • Arctic Cheetahs got hit by specific nerfs, removing the leg structure. They're noticeably easier to leg.
  • Adders got some energy quirks but no HP buffs as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Odins Steed, 06 December 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#14 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

We've been fighting against IS mechs since the patch - getting used to killing mechs that are now much harder to kill.

Yesterday we went up Clans vrs Clans, and the Clan mechs just melted like butter before us - we simply annihilated them.

We go on an IS contract in one hour:)

#15 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

If anything, you should find it easier to kill Clan mechs now.

#16 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

After coming back for a few months' hiatus: Clanners are still pains in the ***, but the missile fixes make it much more enjoyable. And some of the quirk fixes helped.

Skillcrows are still ********.

Unless you're talking about CW. Which I refuse to touch.

#17 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Sigh. I'm going to say it, since no one else will. If a mech is harder to kill, then 9/10, you or your teammates are not aiming properly.
That being said, I enjoy Clan mechs, I have always enjoyed them. They're aesthetically pleasing over most IS mechs, and looks to me has usually won the day over practicality. However, since the patch on the 15th, I have found myself running more IS mediums and heavies than anything. Cents, Griffins, Crabs, Quickdraws, Black Knights and Marauders have been my favs, and I believe IS Mediums and Heavies can go toe to toe with all the Clans of the same weight.
I've asked around the stream community, mostly Lords or EMP, and the consensus is that Clans own Lights and Assaults, with the Cheetah, IIC Jenner, Dires, and Executioners. While, IS has a leg up on Mediums and Heavies with Griffins, Enforcers, Blackjacks, Black Knights, and Quickdraws. Not to mention the next three mech packs, which are all Mediums and Heavies, are all IS.
In conclusion, I believe there is a greater balance in IS vs Clan that most people would like to admit at the moment, and most "OP" posts or comments lean closer to skill at clicking buttons than in the mech that they're using. I know, how dare I imply people are not as good as they think they are at the game, but some times a little self reflection post game and some training grounds experience would stop many a "over-powered" posts.

#18 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

I'm going to have to disagree. There are absolutely mechs out there that benefit from wonky hitboxes. Maybe at the moment they're pretty balanced. I haven't noticed any outstanding issues other than the Arctic Cheetahs. There is absolutely something weird about their hitboxes that doesn't come into play with any other light mech. It reminds me of the lagshield Raven-3Ls had back in the day(Like, years ago.).

I'm not saying clans in general are OP anymore. The Mad Cat is still the (Objectively) superior mech in the game, and that's despite my zealous love for Dragons. However, there are absolutely some mechs that stand out amongst the crowd.

And the Skillcrow comment was pointed at the tards who stack Streak SRM6 and never have to aim.

Edited by Vhetra, 26 December 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#19 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

Not sure if you were responding to my post or not, but I'll reply anyways Posted Image @Vhetra

Timby's hold top tier spot only, and I repeat, only due to the fact they can have JJ's. As far as fitting goes, many top end players would say the HBR and EBJ are as deadly and effective. Timber's negative quirks and gauss nerf hurt them a lot.

As for as hitboxes are concerned, you're right. Some mechs have favorable hitboxes, some have bad ones. In the long run you have to have different mechs with different abilities or you would just nerf/buff "balance" it to where you would have "generic light mech" equipped with "generic laser/ballistic" and it would do set "generic damage" across the board.

I have yet to understand the issue people have with certain builds or weapons, as if running them requires less skill or have been deemed "noob". Those Streak-crows are super hot if built properly and get absolutely focused down once they're targeted. It's a high risk high reward build. Yeah you don't have to aim, but you have to get right up on someone or the enemy team to even use them, leaving yourself vulnerable to counter attack.

There's too much complaining about weapons and loadouts, and this mech is better than that mech. Look at any other game, ever, and you'll see how they all have things that were "broken" or "over-powered" and the higher end players always used them to have an advantage over everyone else. You can not nerf a persons intuition to take (weapon A)+(weapon B )+(Certain Mech)= Powerful Loadout. No matter what you nerf or balance this game and every other game ever made will have things that can be used advantageously to gain the upper hand.

Edited by Cillipuddi, 26 December 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#20 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostCillipuddi, on 26 December 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Not sure if you were responding to my post or not, but I'll reply anyways Posted Image @Vhetra

(Cut it down to avoid blocks of text)

I absolutely agree that skill can turn any terrible mech into a decent one, but you can't ignore the fact that, at least up until recently, Clan mechs in MOST weight classes dominated hardcore. Their XL engines and lighter weapons allow for MORE weapons be brought, MORE ammo, and the fact that you can do that without the fear of dying should you lose one side torso is absolutely an advantage. There's no two ways around that.

Do I think there are some terrible clan mechs, and cases in which IS mechs are preferable/superior? Absolutely.

Do I agree that a player's skill counter-acts some advantages/disadvantages? Absolutely.

But the bottom line is that there are simply some mechs that are BETTER than others. Right now, the majority of those are clan mechs.

So in reference to the topic of this thread? No. I disagree. I feel something closer to balance has been established.

As for your posts specifically, I'd go 50/50. Player skill will 99% of the time be the determining factor. That, and whether or not the matched drops have similar weight. We've had a game where we were dropped with 10 lights and 2 mediums against 5 Assaults, 3 Heavies, 2 mediums, and 2 lights. We won that day due to coordination and player skill. http://images.akamai...E4572097EA4D0A/

Edited by Vhetra, 30 December 2015 - 12:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users