75 replies to this topic

#1 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

Ok, regardless of our love/hate or the urbie I do think that the starter mech would be a 20 tonner. but which one. If we go by the date of 3049 we have a slim selection to choose from. The order of mechs are irrelevant, its just a listing. Unseen are not included so the list becomes a bit slimmer.

1. Flea [2501]
2. Thorn [24th century]
3. Mercury [2742 Stinger Replacement]

I would personally like to see the Mercury [I've piloted a Flea to death...] but the Thorn have more flexible armament by using a missile launcher as well.

#2 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

I'm pretty sure you pick from any mech in the game, and that is your starter mech.

You pick based on what role you want to fill.

Edit: Having to pick a light mech at the start might get people thinking that because they start with light, heavier is better. And god knows we've had enough of that around here as it is!

Edited by Vechs, 11 July 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#3 speeddemon11L

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostVechs, on 11 July 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure you pick from any mech in the game, and that is your starter mech.

This is the correct answer. You beat me to it!

#4 DarkendMoon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMy Japanese garden being zenlike

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

The flea is probably a good starter mech. The hardest weapons in game to use will probably be missiles. (I didn't get a beta key so I don't know) but it has worked that way in the previous games. You start off with a few lasers and machine guns in the base variant outside of game so I imagine it would be the same in game. It is fast so you would have at least some survivability even though it doesn't have a lot of armor.

As a side note it would be hilarious to see two teams of nothing but fleas running around blasting each other. The match would take forever with the horrible aim of nubs in the mix ><.

That is my take on the whole thing but I do believe you get to pick based on roll.

Edited by DarkendMoon, 11 July 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#5 TheOneGunslinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationaustralia

dont think it is any mech guessing it will give you the option of 4 (one for each class) most likely the founder mechs (with out the founder skin or c-bill booster)

#6 Teirdome

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationColorado

View PostVechs, on 11 July 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Edit: Having to pick a light mech at the start might get people thinking that because they start with light, heavier is better. And god knows we've had enough of that around here as it is!

This is the rumor I've always heard too, I've just never seen it stated by PGI.

#7 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

What makes you think you'd need to grind through a 20ton starter mech to get access to other mechs in MW:O?
From the information available it seems you get a big pile of c-bills and than just buy the prime variant of whatever Mech you want.

Now speaking theoreticaly, for startermech i'd go with something designed for that, and not with a light that needs extensive training to be used for full effect. Something like the CLN-7V Chameleon.

fakedit: 2 new posts... i'm too late. :)

#8 Cebi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

World of Mechs?

It seems you may be confused about how this game works! All mechs are balanced directly against each other; no power tiers.

#9 DarkendMoon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMy Japanese garden being zenlike

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostTheOneGunslinger, on 11 July 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

dont think it is any mech guessing it will give you the option of 4 (one for each class) most likely the founder mechs (with out the founder skin or c-bill booster)

They said something in the Q&A about the founder mechs giving you the advantage of not having to research that high in the tree so I don't think that will be the case as far as being able to pick them at the start.

#10 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

The obvious starter mech would be the Atlas...

I can just imagine loads of new players running (walking) around screaming "ATLAS SMASH PUNY SCOUT!!!ONE-ONE-ELEVEN"

Edit... fixed a typo :)

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 11 July 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#11 Moffmalthus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

I think you will be able to pick from the weight catigories but start with less desierable mechs in each class. Then you work your way up through to the better mechs. Just my guess though...

#12 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

View PostDarkendMoon, on 11 July 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

As a side note it would be hilarious to see two teams of nothing but fleas running around blasting each other. The match would take forever with the horrible aim of nubs in the mix ><.

I have the opposite view of the urbanmech. Imagine 24 urbies in a match one-shotting each other with AC20's :)

#13 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Hopefully they'll let you choose from the entire list, or at least give you a decent starting wallet that you can choose from most of what is available. It would be nice for newer players for their to be a recommended set of mechs/roles though.

I don't like forcing new players into one or two options, but having them get a little nudge towards something like the centurion (which does a little bit of everything with a very diverse weapons package) instead of something like the Jagermech or Cicada (which are very firmly rooted in a specific role/playstyle) or the Atlas (since bigger is different, not better) would probably be a good idea.

#14 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 July 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

I can just imagine loads of new players running (walking) around screaming "ATLAS SMASH PUNY SCOUT!!!ONE-ONE-ELEVEN"

LOL i'm not a new to MW and I would be doing that.

#15 MogCarns

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

"Atlas Smash!!!" was kind of my preferred role choice...

#16 MC Hammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 185 posts
  • LocationTN/GA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

the starter mechs will be Jenner-Huchback-Catapult-Atlas. If i read correctly those will be the starter for each class. I could be wrong, usualy am.

#17 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

The founders all got to choose from one mech of each class (and all of them for some of us). I'm pretty sure they're going to launch the same way.

Jenner (scout), Hunchback (hk \ fire support), Catapult (missile support), Atlas (Tank \ direct fire)

#18 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

Does nobody read anything?

The tweetchat specifically said there will be 4 starter mechs to choose from, one from each class.

The Devs have specifically given reasons why they want people to have the opportunity to start in an Assault mech.

You do not have to start in a light, you can start in any size class you want (but you cannot start in any mech you want)

The actual mechs have not been confirmed, but dollars to donuts says the starter mechs will be the same four as in the Founder pack (Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult,Atlas).

#19 Eskorakas

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

you will be able to pick one mech out of the four classes, not sure if this is restricted to the founder type mechs but don't see why it has to be.

There really is no such thing as a weak mech in each class, they will all have different advantages and its up to you to find which mech fits your play style. There is no super mech for each class that outdoes all the rest. All mechs in a class have to deal with same heat generation, same damage generation same armor and speed limitations, per tonnage.

Advantage to purchasing legendary is getting a C-Bill booster mech in each class from the get go, so you will be able to make the monies and advance your tech tree for each class soon as it releases. You wont have to sit there and earn 3 more mechs just to get into that tree. You will be able to play any class at any time you like from the start and have a little booster for it.

#20 Co Starring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGreatest small country in the world

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 July 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

Haha....hmmmm...ehm.
I thought it would be funny, but it isn't.
I mean, they play 2-3 matches, run out of c-bills = end MWO "career"???

(P.S. I dunno anything about earning or costs for repair/ammo. From what I read was that if you fail with an assault mech, you will get an epic repair/resupply bill)

Edited by Co Starring, 11 July 2012 - 04:28 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users