Considering A New Loyalist Frr Unit

12 replies to this topic

#1 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

hai everyone, Wind here. I wanted to talk to you all about the steam launch and stuff Posted Image As you all know, the RKA will help train new trainees, but I considered making a sub unit of the RKA, called the JRKA. Why? because I believe that there may be some new players that are also going to be younger. (so Junior Royal KungsArme) A unit of people of the same age may help the game be a bit less intimidating. I have played this game for a long time now myself, and I figured i could help train some of the new players, and in slightly less intimidating environment Posted Image

I may even try and get some of my friends that have steam to join as well Posted Image
tell me your thoughts!
-wind

#2 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:12 PM

If there is an interest in such a thing, I see no reason why it could not work. Good Luck!

#3 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

Anything that helps the game and new players is a good thing imo.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

Windscape,

I think it is a grand idea with the caveat being that I think it is unnecessary. I think younger players might need help with some aspects of the game but not the game itself. Their game skills and ability to learn the nuances of new game play tend to be superior to those of us old folks (judging from my own kids ages 5-13). I see three issues that some younger players might need help with, but frankly I have encountered many older players who have issues with these as well:

First, I think some younger players (I'm just going to use the word "kids" here as a collective term referring to any one of early teens on down ok?) might need help with the lore, not of necessity but to have an idea of the games "setting" and to better understand why the mechs are the way they are and the theoretical understanding of the factions, the clans, and why they fight, etc.

Second, I think some kids, particularly the really young ones, might need some help with their first few builds. Just understanding the cost/benefit of each weapon, etc. might be challenging for some, but certainly not all.

Lastly, etiquette might be something that some kids need help with especially on teamspeak.

But as I mention above, even these three aspects are often issues that the older players need help with too.

So I don't see a special Jr. unit being of any particular benefit. I think any kid who is capable of playing the game and getting through the tutorials and academy will do just fine. In the FRR, I think units like SO and 1stH and many others are really open minded and are willing to play with anyone or any age. Moreover I think a lot of us older folks are going to be shocked at how quickly some of the new Steam kids will be schooling us.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

I understand your point, but I am aware that this game is 90% adult male, 9% adult female, and 1% 17 and under. We don't need to have a whole new unit I guess, it was just a thought that came into my mind.
During the summer, I played minecraft on my PS3 and got so see things myself (I'm used to the clam, adult filled frrhub by now, so Teamspeak etiquette is important). I wouldn't know about how to get them to read the lore, heck, I think the reason I read the lore was to read about the history of my beloved JagerMechs, and got hooked since then :D
In the end though, I'd say at least half Of the MWO fanbase was their since the 1980's and a majority have played MW2-MW4. My father played MW2 before I was born, and I played some of it too (I like retro games :) ) So there probably wouldn't be that many younger people playing, unless they really like stompy robots :)
Thanks for your feedback!
Looking forward to moar!
bai

one more thought. I started playing this game since I was 9 years old, and back then I thought the controls were so complicated I made my dad drive and I shot things! but this was one of my 1st PC games, I played console games back then more.

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

after giving this some thought (and a conversation with Uglee) I'd like to say that at this point in time there will be no particular need for a JRKA. The reason why I say at this point in time, is because Id like to see for myself how many younger people download the game. At This point, there would only be a JRKA if a fairly large influx of players joined the game (maybe about 20+ players) But for now (considering there are only two people in the RKA) the normal RKA will suffice. I would like to talk about the future of the RKA in the next Jarlsmoot. (if you'll let meh MtD Posted Image)
You can talk to me about this in TS at any time, or message me on the forums, or leave a post down below

bai and good hunting
-Wind

#7 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:00 AM

Yeah - wait and see what steam does for the FRR population - there might be a lot of new players coming to the teamspeak in the near future. Once we know what it looks like, we will be in a better position to address the training needs.

#8 Redd

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

Windy,

Whether there is a need for a JRKA or not, it doesnt stop you working with new, younger players and setting a good example to them as to the etiquette that is expected of an FRR warrior in Victory or Defeat (come to think of it man, you could set an example to some of us old guys too). A little more slack can be cut for a younger player but there is still a standard to be attained.

you are a particularly well spoken and level guy for a kid of your age and a pleasure to drop with. Many units have an 16+/18+/21+ policy because not all of your peers are the same (although lets be honest, an asshatt is an asshatt regardless of age Posted Image )

So, keep doing what you are doing, make friends young and old and if you find someone who is FRR calibre then invite them on board.

Laters

Redd

#9 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

I think it's an excellent idea, and there would be no person more suited to lead it.

The only question is if there are enough younger players around? But of course you don't need many since you can just hang out on the FRR hub and join groups there until you get enough.

One advantage of such a unit would be that seeing the JRKA tag would make you aware that you have a young player in your group, so you can remember to make them feel welcome.

#10 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

there is now that many young players around atm, but the steam release might bring some around. If such a thing does happen, i would be honored to lead under the JRKA tag. At this point though, (steam should be on around now, right?) We can wait and see actually how many players that are young actually join the FRR. I myself only vaguely know 2 other squeakers that play the game :P I'm just going to sit back and see what happens.

bai
-Windscape

#11 Lord Creston

• PipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

If you actually want your own unit and are targeting new mwo players who are younger then now is the time to make one. Making a unit successful is a fair bit of work, but if you have the time and are excited about it I would say GO FOR IT. Why not man. It not like your getting a mortgage or proposing. If it doesn't work just dissolve it and rejoin another unit.

Well send you any new young (pre 18) players we run in to if you do. Good luck

Edited by Lord Creston, 10 December 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#12 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

Hi Windscape, unit of under 18 digital natives, sounds OP to me. You should do it. Takes a minute to put a good set up together and if it became well known we had an under 18 team stomping, it might help draw more younger players.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 10 December 2015 - 04:09 PM.

#13 Ulfgar Snorrison

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStanding stoically at the longship's prow.

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

Umm, young vikings in training. And there are many important skills that must be mastered. Like which end of the horn to drink from (age appropriate beverages of course) and how to pose so that your cloak flaps heroically in the wind. Young Windscape you are a battle proven warrior of our Republic and you will do as you wish. Good fortune on your endeavor and if perchance you have need of advice or aid just shout out. You have a faction of shieldbrothers and shiledmaids who will back you up.

{Oh by the way, in real life drinking from a horn DOES take a little practice. When you lift the horn to drain it the contents tend to pick up speed as they come around the bend. Very funny watch first timers getting a face full of their drinks}

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users