More Things That Piss Me Off - (Rant)

41 replies to this topic

#1 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

(The whole point of a rant is text vomit, but here, for the English teachers.)

1. Voting. This whole idea is annoying. I don't like Conquest and Assault. I don't want to have those game modes forced upon me. I am not happy playing them, so it seriously baffles me why people think I should be forced into playing them. Arguments about these modes requiring tactics, in my opinion are BS, but more so miss the point. Why would you willingly team up with someone who does not want to play this particular gamemode. I am sure many people don't like skirmish as well. Under the old system I could opt out of non-skirmish games, and other people could pick their favored game modes. Why is this so bad?
As far as maps go, now i find overwhelmingly I am limited to playing on four or five maps. Why have any others? Who votes for mordor as anything but a joke? I know Mordor sucks, but it sucks for everyone. Same thing with Viridian Bog. My point is random map selection might have been lame, but mostly that was due to the weighting give to new maps. If voting tells PGI what maps aren't working, then maybe its useful, but right now I keep playing the same maps over an over.

2. New maps. River city I hate, but then I hated River city before, so It does not anger me (and before you say I can't play it, I will disclose that statistically its my best map). The new Forest Colony has too much cover, and really plays like river city in the trees. The complexity of the old map was the contrast between good cover and the open shooting lanes which made moving from cover to cover something to think about. Now there is too much cover, and too many places to get stuck. The New Caustic Valley pisses me off even more because it completely changes the map -it now plays just like River ****** or Forest Colony. The old map was an open range death trap that rewarded Long range weaponry. Yes it allowed for NASCARING, but that failure of a tactic was fault of the players, not the map.

3 Nascaring.

4 Players who scatter all over the place in Conquest looking to win by CAP - You can't win if everyone on the team gets killed because you did not stay together and they did,

5. Assault. For two reasons. The first is the removal of turrets. Turrets prevented that lovely situation where we can sit and watch the bases get captured without ever having a chance to fire a shot. Alternatively, there are players who go for the capture without regard to what the rest of the team is doing, which creates a lopsided situation when 12 enemy mechs hit eight mechs not capturing. Oh and then the enemy, having disopsed of the main body goes and kills the capping mechs. To top this off, the players who scatter about willy-nilly then come on line and botch about unfair games or lurmageddon or laservomit.

6. PGI constantly trying to balance the weapons. Don't. Leave the weapons alone, and and let the players sort out the balance. You won't ever Balance 3052 IS tech with clan tech. So give the sphere more tons, or better give them Clan tech too.

7. Tier. Nothing pisses me off more than players insulting each other by asking "what tier are you" to Suggest that one player is worse than another. (Or saying "this is a tier 3 Post"). The point of tier was not to give higher tier players some reason to make lower tier players feel bad. I am tier three, I kill tier one players and tier five players.
It doesn't really matter because a persons ability in any given game is very much based on team, and tier is overwhelmingly about winning and losing the game. Its a stupid Idea that will only drive players away. If it is truly useful, then it should be hidden from players
8. The [redacted] player who wanted to instruct me about LRMS when I was in a game on terra therma. That player informed me that LRMS don't work at close range, asked me what tier I am, and then said I needed to die. If you read this, Clan LRMS work at close range, not well, but 45 clan lrms at 130 meters still hits at least as well as a medium laser. I am tier 3 and I have been tier 2, but I am grinding a bunch of Battlemasters and I suck at them. However I got to tier 2 by playing LRM boats, So assume I have some Idea of how to play them decently. Oh and at the end of the game I had more damage, more kills, more assists and a higher match score than you did. Its all fine and dandy to think you are the ****, but you better be able to back it up.

9. Steam. The injecting of steam noobs may well indeed help the game in the long run, but now it means the pug matches are dominated by people on the low end of the learning curve. Its frustrating, especially when they don't learn the game and tell older players how to play the game. Like the[surat] above. So if you are new, welcome, but stick together, don't nascar and for godsake don't try to cap the enemy base in assault (or in conquest) all on your own. And stay out of the middle in Mordor (I know this is counter intuitive for some, but the center is where PUGS go to die).

That's my rant, and now I feel better. Thanks for being you.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 15 December 2015 - 04:53 PM.
Language

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

View Postcrashlogic, on 13 December 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

6. PGI constantly trying to balance the weapons. Don't. Leave the weapons alone, and and let the players sort out the balance. You won't ever Balance 3052 IS tech with clan tech. So give the sphere more tons, or better give them Clan tech too.

I find your opinion disturbing and close minded.

Edited by Mcgral18, 13 December 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:58 PM

Before I even try to address any of the points, this wall of text really needs better formatting. The return key is your friend...

#4 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 13 December 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

I find your opinion disturbing and close minded.

I find his lack of paragraphs disturbing.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

More things that piss me off.....

formless walls of text......

eh, that'll do, for now, actually.

#6 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

What clan mech has quirks that allow you to fire LRMs at 1320m?

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

View Postsycocys, on 13 December 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

Not like LRMs are useful anywhere near that distance anyways...

#9 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

Clan LRMS work at close range, not well, but 45 clan lrms at 1320 meters still hits at least as well as a medium laser

Well technically what he said is true, CLRMs and Medium lasers at 1320 meters are both equally (in)effective.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

View Postcrashlogic, on 13 December 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

7. Tier. Nothing pisses me off more than players insuting each other by asking "what tier are you" to Suggest that one player is worse than another.

If anyone feels insulted when someone asks his tier, then that guy is probably not a good player anyway. And I only ask that question when the other guy makes a really questionable comment, while hiding his tier. Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 13 December 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 December 2015 - 09:22 PM, said:

Not like LRMs are useful anywhere near that distance anyways...

well, wall of text seems to indicate OP resides in underhive... it's amazing how denizens of that realm just stand out in the open slack jawed and watch LRMs coming at them... kid of like watching a turkey drown in the rain......

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

I occasionally ask for overall tiers at the start if I don't recognize names. It's good to know what level of match you are playing so you can determine what sort of tactics you can/can not get away with.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

I'll imagine that was a typo, as he refers to min range. I'll assume 130M or 120M, thereabouts.

#14 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Posted Image

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 13 December 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

I'll imagine that was a typo, as he refers to min range. I'll assume 130M or 120M, thereabouts.

Isn't it like .1 damage a missile under range like that? So even CLRM45 would be roughly half a point of damage?

I've honestly never paid attention because they don't seem like they do anything worthwhile other than annoy me and make me want to take a mech apart instead of just kill them.

#16 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

By all the ranting after the initial rant. (Kids it is a rant, if you don't wanna read, read other posts!) At least I like the opinion on point 2. New maps. I hate the new River City (stuckageddon) and the new Forest Colonie (treeageddon) even more. Caustic well it's okayish.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 13 December 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#17 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

View Postsycocys, on 13 December 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

Isn't it like .1 damage a missile under range like that? So even CLRM45 would be roughly half a point of damage?

I've honestly never paid attention because they don't seem like they do anything worthwhile other than annoy me and make me want to take a mech apart instead of just kill them.

There's an important reason to keep throwing the LRMs, if your heat can take it. The cockpit shake can throw pilots off their game, so why not (while I melt torsos with my glorious CERSLs...).

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostKuritaclan, on 13 December 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

By all the ranting after the initial rant. (Kids it is a rant, if you don't wanna read, read other posts!) At least I like the opinion on point 2. New maps. I hate the new River City (stuckageddon) and the new Forest Colonie (treeageddon) even more. Caustic well it's okayish.

New River City actually favors mobile and tactical play..not the maps fault that most people can't think outside the Citadel.

Not a fan of Endor or New Caustic, at all, though.

#19 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostLynx7725, on 13 December 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

There's an important reason to keep throwing the LRMs, if your heat can take it. The cockpit shake can throw pilots off their game, so why not (while I melt torsos with my glorious CERSLs...).

I'm not disagreeing with that aspect - his claim is that LRM45 under range was as effective as a ML. Damage wise from my experience its certainly not been the case.

#20 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

well the op proves my point about the "game mode vote"

not the map vote, THE GAME MODE VOTE.

even thought he and I see it completely different, it just proves that it dosnt work (OK PLZ KEEP YOUR ELITIST INSULTS to you very small selfs)

I dont want anything but to make the game better , those who hate anything but Skirmish will always ruin the match for those who dont .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users