Veteran Game Hate

85 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:39 AM

What's with the cave dwelling ancients the hiss whenever a change a change is suggested or when "Simplicity" is kept?

I'm talking about the veterans that play with premade teams with extreme meta builds and yet whine and piss how bad the game is and give it bad reviews on steam and downvote positive reviews without commentating.

It's like a fastfood restaurant that's been in business for years keeping a simple menu and slowing adding things has a grand-reopening which brings in potentially new customers and a new demographic, whilst some half-naked old customer is pissing on the building yelling at everyone new trying to enter.

So explain to me, because I don't really understand what's so fractured about the game that the old vets as a community would smear feces on it to keep new players away?

Edited by ComradeHavoc, 16 December 2015 - 06:39 AM.

#2 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image

Haters gonna hate.

On a more serious note there are many flaws (some still in the game, yes I'm looking at you ghost heat) which flat out could have been avoided. And balance while getting better is still a mess, hard to balance with all the layers piled on.

Bitter pills take longer to swallow for some.

But as you say 2016 is a new year and the last half of 2015 has been pretty good.

Edited by Amsro, 16 December 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#3 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

We're called bittervets for a reason. A big reason for the vitriol is how IGP/PGI handled the game and treated the community for several years. The sacking of Garth, Niko's reign of terror, disagreements with gameplay decisions, ghost heat.

There is a lot to be angry about but PGI is seemingly getting better appears.

#4 redlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

GHOST HEAT.

#5 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM

Founders were sold on mechwarrior online being a specific kind of game. And for a while, it was while in closed beta. Today, it's a very different game. And for many people, it's quite disappointing.

MWO is what it is. A mech-based twitch shooter that has far more in common with games like Hawken than most of us founders are comfortable with. In my opinion, it's still a good game. But I can understand why some vets are disappointed in how it's turned out.

"Thinking man's shooter". Yeah. Right.

#6 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostAmsro, on 16 December 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

#7 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 16 December 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah, it wasn't very insightful. But it was a 2012-2015 I've raged and I'm over it.

Some are addicted to the rage and mwo though.

View PostTexAce, on 15 December 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

Most bad-reviews-still-playing-vets see it as a drug. A heroin addict does not recommened heroin to anyone but can not stop using it.

Still a heroin addict though.

#8 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostSkoll, on 16 December 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

We're called bittervets for a reason. A big reason for the vitriol is how IGP/PGI handled the game and treated the community for several years. The sacking of Garth, Niko's reign of terror, disagreements with gameplay decisions, ghost heat.

But why fling poo on steam? I can understand that loyal players can be frustrated but what good comes out of scaring away new players/customers as well as a new potential demographics?

I haven't played MWO nearly as long as some of the players here and to me it seems pretty solid. I didn't even know that ghost heat was a thing until today.

I guess I'm trying to make a useless point so that some players can take a step back and attempt to suggest and fix issues about MWO (once again) instead of scaring away new players.

I'm surprised that there's isn't a central suggestion list or a google doc or something considering all the community videos and weekly updates.

#9 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

There are almost as many opinions on how MWo should be played as there are players playing.

So everyone has their own vision of how it should be or what would be ideal. When that fails to materialize for years upon years some players become bitter.

Take their words with a grain a salt and understand where they come from. They had a vision of MWo that they feel PGI failed to live up to. Not everyone can adiquatley explain how they feel many just complain without an easy to decern adjenda or purpose.

#10 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

View PostLykaon, on 16 December 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

There are almost as many opinions on how MWo should be played as there are players playing.

So everyone has their own vision of how it should be or what would be ideal. When that fails to materialize for years upon years some players become bitter.

Take their words with a grain a salt and understand where they come from. They had a vision of MWo that they feel PGI failed to live up to. Not everyone can adiquatley explain how they feel many just complain without an easy to decern adjenda or purpose.

If only there was a way to organize all this latent butthurt to list out bugs, suggestions, and general fixes. As well as having community pools, and recording all this information on google docs.

#11 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

A mech-based twitch shooter that has far more in common with games like Hawken than most of us founders are comfortable with.

You mentioned Hawken... I was curious when people were posting MW:O's Steam stats. Hawken has less than a 300 player average and peaks under 600.

Maybe giant robots should be slower paced, methodical combat rather than twitch shooters. Haven't kept up with it so I don't know if there was another reason for Hawken's demise. I do recall a lot of threads back in the day about how Hawken would destroy MW:O. Maybe they are the ones keeping Hawken on life support.

Back to the topic:

Some of the hissing is because players want what players want. Can't please everyone.

A lot of it comes from seemingly nonsensical ideas that have been implemented in the past, and though less frequently, still show up more recently.

And there is still mistrust from the community/PGI/IGP interactions a while back. Some players have been slow to board boats back to the mainland from the island.

I think the game is moving in a good direction for the most part. If PGI keeps improving 2016 will be pretty nice for MW:O.

Edited by Divine Retribution, 16 December 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#12 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 16 December 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

You mentioned Hawken... I was curious when people were posting MW:O's Steam stats. Hawken has less than a 300 player average and peaks under 600

Hawken went bankrupt and was resold, and is only now getting its feet back under them. They went through a lot, and the fact that it's *still* running and money is still being pumped into it should say something. In any case, my point went more along the lines of twitch-versus-strategy, and MWO in its current incarnation leans way more towards one side than it used to.

#13 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 16 December 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

But why fling poo on steam? I can understand that loyal players can be frustrated but what good comes out of scaring away new players/customers as well as a new potential demographics?

I haven't played MWO nearly as long as some of the players here and to me it seems pretty solid. I didn't even know that ghost heat was a thing until today.

I guess I'm trying to make a useless point so that some players can take a step back and attempt to suggest and fix issues about MWO (once again) instead of scaring away new players.

I'm surprised that there's isn't a central suggestion list or a google doc or something considering all the community videos and weekly updates.

Because people are bitter and vindictive. That's literally it. For the longest time I felt cheated out of my Founders and Phoenix money as well.

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostSkoll, on 16 December 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

View Postredlance, on 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

GHOST HEAT.

3 4-mech lances in a Clan company. Posted Image

#15 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

A lot of it comes from seemingly nonsensical ideas that have been implemented in the past, and though less frequently, still show up more recently.

For example, we have fillers that have become "main" features.

#16 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

That above, is part of the problem.

Weird mechanics that are difficult to understand or poorly explained. There have been many, MANY good suggestions from the community over the years, yet those seem to go ignored and some "out of the blue" poorly considered solution appears.

Thats part of what has created a hostile relationship with many in the community. Not saying it's the majority, but it does consist of a lot of long term Battletech fans.

#17 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 16 December 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

MWO is what it is. A mech-based twitch shooter...

Yeah... You might want to try the game because it's not even close to being a twitch shooter.

#18 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

I agree Steam should be kept clean. I'm all about leaving bad reviews if called for, but the "we were promised a different game so I'm going to talk trash about this one" comments are uncalled for.

The forums and MWOMERCS is where those changes are discussed, but not listened to in the least.

View PostLykaon, on 16 December 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

It's about what was specifically promised to the founders and what was given.

Some of the hissing is because players want what players want. Can't please everyone.

It's about what was specifically promised to the founders and what was given.

#19 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

Some players have become heavily, and I mean heavily invested in this game(monetarily). When you have a bunch of money tied up in something and the game takes a nose dive, it's hard to let go. This heroin example, like some have acquitted it to, doesn't really apply. Money is the defining characteristic here.

When someone invests and feels like they have been burned, they have a few choices. The extreme of which is to try and make their 'once beloved' burn.

Another is to judge the game harshly with the idea that the game will improve over time.

And, another is to develop a psuedo-stockholm syndrome and pray that the nay-sayers will not burn your beloved and these are the ones that tend to become over protective of the game.

Many people that have been here for a long time know that PGI does nothing unless you have a loud voice, attack their wallet or brown nose over twitter.

Edited by Ronyn, 16 December 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#20 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

The Salt must flow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users