I Don't Really Get This...

52 replies to this topic

#41 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostIrishtoker, on 03 January 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

I obviously have some reading to do...the books must be amazing.

Came here looking to see if there was a summary of the Inner Sphere and Clan aspects of the game. As someone essentially ignorant of the lore, and generally a newer player...I play quick play matches and see many player using clan weapons which seem to out preform their counterparts, and decimate standard builds.

I digress...

Are clans not just factions acting under a different title?

http://www.sarna.net...ne#15th_Century
start here, but the real stories are in the books

#42 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Postmultisoul, on 06 January 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...ne#15th_Century
start here, but the real stories are in the books

sarna.net said:

2017: First interplanetary transport, AS Altair, is launched,AS Procyon is sent to Mars.

That's still gonna happen, right?! Posted Image

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 08 January 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#43 Korrner

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostFlipOver, on 20 December 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Isn't it supposed for the IS houses to join forces and defend against the Clans?

Instead the IS houses battle each other leaving the Clans with an easier path to success.
It's like 4 people fighting for cake.
2 of those fight each other and forget the cake.
The other 2 join forces and split the cake between them.
2 end up battered and bruised.
The other 2 are now looking for something else to eat while they take a sip on their drink.

Edit - Not that this bothers me too much, knowing the CW map will be reset once again at the end of Beta Phase 3. But I'd like to understand the mentality behind this behavior.

I play in an exclusive IS merc unit. We move between factions, but always loyal to the Inner Sphere ... I don't mind who I'm fighting (even if I do like the lore in BT) as long as I get a good fight. I don't mind what the map looks like and the fact that Clans look bad on it right now doesn't really change anything.

#44 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

View Post100mile, on 30 December 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Yea i've looked at what you did to CSJ since there wasn't anyone there to defend and no it's not your fault....so I have to admit you guys are in the same boat as the rest of us you are stuck defending against the clans or attacking your neighbors...course if you really wanted good fights you would hit FRR or Steiner but you don't wanna mess with your -MS- /Clan buddies or any of the comp level units in FRR so you continue to pound on Davion Knowing we are being hit on 2 more sides and won't be able to organize much resistance.
So like I said in my previous post "Kurita attacks Davion because that faction attracts a certain type of player and it's just the way they are...They are basically a clan Faction in mentality and personality and I am sure you have noticed the Clan factions tend to attract people with a rather unpleasant attitude and perspective....Unfortunately this won't change either."

The opinions expressed here are the sole opinions of this Poster and should not be attributed to any other Unit with in the Davion house...unless they like it or post they agree...thank you...Posted Image

Frankly we largely go whever fights can be found. We went CJF for two weeks. Last I checked we got to attack into Steiner (and maybe FRR as well I don't recall). Soooo ... -MS- was in Steiner and 228th in FRR. So go check your privilege Golden Boy. Kurita largely will go after the clans first if the option is there but role play dictates we dislike Davions ... which you should expect. Davion has some decent units ... you just need to convince their better skilled players to play CW some more.

Edited by Crockdaddy, 14 January 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#45 Marcus Krenshaw

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

So I am new to faction play but we just got stomped by [RWR]. It was an all-clan unit, even though Rim World is IS? I don't get it. Furthermore, zero challenges were offered, again, wtf?

What is the real deal with faction play? I tried to look for info on the website but it is non existent.

#46 Bigshep

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

@ Marcus
RWR is a unit, now they may be calling themselves Rim World Rejects (sorry not sure what the unit name actually is ). As a unit they have two options for CW
1: be a house/clan loyalist unit. This has a permenant contract with a house or clan and only fights for them. At present this gives no bonuses, but in CW 3 it might.
2: be a merc unit pledging its services to a house or clan for a set period of time.

Now RWR, or any unit actually, may be a clan loyalist unit as the players who set it up decided that it represented who they wanted to be better than an IS house. Or they may be a Merc unit plying it's trade around various houses/clans getting the CW rewards for doing so (mechbay farming). There is nothing stopping me creating a unit named "48th sword of light" (Kurita inspired) setting itself up as merc and wandering all the houses and clans every two weeks to farm rewards.

By challenges do you mean individual combat between pilots. If so then some groups, who like the roleplay side of things, may do this if they have already won the match and some may not it really is subjective.

Basically faction play, or CW, is a mode for tailored drop decks and units to play longer games than in the group que. You may find the mechs tailored for CW actually do quite badly in normal games due to their set up. The longer games and multiple drops provide an added level of coordination and strategy to the tactical mech game. Units, or groups of players will be on team speak. They will have a dedicated drop commander who will call strategy before the drop and tactics during it. So he could say that he wants a lot of jump capable lights in wave 1, or brawlers, or snipers etc. During the match he will call what he wants dropped next, where to group up, what area to attack and possibly targets as well.

As a solo player it is best to go to your factions teamspeak server, which are listed, and group up into a 12 man drop with a commander. It makes it easier to play, you make friends to play with and gain an understanding of the game type.

hope that helps

#47 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Poor fedrats.....

#48 Bigshep

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

If Kurita were the first faction on the CW field .....

#49 Marcus Krenshaw

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Actually, I picked Davion on purpose. I have been playing since the game was called Battledroids. I have always liked Davion. Not like the sneaky Liao or slimy Kurita.

#50 Bigshep

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

Did you read my post? I would recommend you go to the Davion team speak server (team speak is free to download) and you will find groups forming all the time. That info is on the first sticky on the Davion sub forum. I would pop on and give you some pointers voice to voice, unfortunately I am just finishing a long night shift and can barely type let alone talk sense to anyone :)

Tarl's comment was a sort of running joke for the other houses that Davion gets all the new players as their icon is first on the roundel.

#51 James Eckelman

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

I would like to request for Sunday, 1-17-16 thru Saturday 1-23-16 some reinforcements in the FRR Faction region. Sorry, but it's hard when I play PUGs against Kcom, AW0L, DSx, and -MS-, and even with 228 and -LW- with us, seems very one sided for a clan win.

Read the topic. We're still holding back Clans as best we can for the IS Civil War, but at this rate, Terra will be Clan property before Beta 3.

Unless we see that the rumor's true with COM GUARD being active. :D

#52 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

Tarl's comment was a sort of running joke for the other houses that Davion gets all the new players as their icon is first on the roundel.

There is that and Davion being portrayed as knights/good guys in most BT novels and in the one of the MW games, so anyone who had ever played a MW game or touched any of the novels tend to flock to the Federated Suns/Davion. That is until they realize most of the action is on the clan borders, lore is lost to many of the players, and being Davion means no Clan attack lanes, all ya able to do is defend another faction's worlds.

View PostMarcus Krenshaw, on 16 January 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Actually, I picked Davion on purpose. I have been playing since the game was called Battledroids. I have always liked Davion. Not like the sneaky Liao or slimy Kurita.

Could be much worse, you could have gone and become a swiner and all of that bacon!!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 January 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#53 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostJames Eckelman, on 16 January 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

I would like to request for Sunday, 1-17-16 thru Saturday 1-23-16 some reinforcements in the FRR Faction region. Sorry, but it's hard when I play PUGs against Kcom, AW0L, DSx, and -MS-, and even with 228 and -LW- with us, seems very one sided for a clan win.

<o.

Kell's Commandos, responding to your Call to Arms. (Not, like, Officially, just, you know Cuz Timing.) Now that Clan Jade Falcon has broken the siege upon them, we'll be going FRR for a bit. Good Luck and Good Hunting Mechwarrior.

~Leone, of Kell's Commando's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users