Hacks Vs Skills

158 replies to this topic

#141 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

I remember an aimbot trying to shoot my torso way across from the gate to the platform in Boreal using quirked ER lasers.

How do I know its an aimbot? It was trying to do it for at least a minute, but failing. Why? There was a screen block between me and the laser. You see these screens near the platform. I can clearly see the laser heading straight to my torso, and the screen blocks it. I relocate myself slightly, and the laser follows me exactly where my torso is. If that is a human using an advanced zoom, he would have clearly seen I was behind a screen. Instead, the laser just kept shooting and shooting in vain. It was like an press, autoaim for the torso, autoshoot thing.

#142 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostAnjian, on 23 December 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I remember an aimbot trying to shoot my torso way across from the gate to the platform in Boreal using quirked ER lasers.

How do I know its an aimbot? It was trying to do it for at least a minute, but failing. Why? There was a screen block between me and the laser. You see these screens near the platform. I can clearly see the laser heading straight to my torso, and the screen blocks it. I relocate myself slightly, and the laser follows me exactly where my torso is. If that is a human using an advanced zoom, he would have clearly seen I was behind a screen. Instead, the laser just kept shooting and shooting in vain. It was like an press, autoaim for the torso, autoshoot thing.

Actually, those screens don't render at that long of a distance (go check in the training grounds yourself), so he was able to see straight through it. When he sees you move, he thinks maybe you're not behind the screen, so he tries again.

#143 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

For over a minute?

#144 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostAnjian, on 23 December 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

For over a minute?

Certainly. Some people would rather just set back and use ERLL at max range all day, whether they're getting good damage or not... they don't know any better. I know that back in the pre-nerf TDR-9S days at the beginning of CW I used to sit back outside the gates and just pelt people with ERPPCs at 1300m. Just whacking the building that they're hiding behind is usually enough to pin them, making them afraid to poke out and contribute to the fight. It doesn't really work any more, the way people play the map nowadays, but some people still do it regardless.

#145 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostAnjian, on 23 December 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

Actually, those screens don't render at that long of a distance (go check in the training grounds yourself), so he was able to see straight through it. When he sees you move, he thinks maybe you're not behind the screen, so he tries again.

The real question is, How smooth was the mech's aim? If the mech tracked you smoothly instead of jumping around it was most likely an aimbot.

Personally I can't say I've ever seen an aimbot. I mean I can't say; "A player named AIMBOT100 was using a bot". I can say I've seen some suspicious things but nothing conclusive.

#146 Sizzles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

What if I'm a really skilled hacker?

#147 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Certainly. Some people would rather just set back and use ERLL at max range all day, whether they're getting good damage or not... they don't know any better. I know that back in the pre-nerf TDR-9S days at the beginning of CW I used to sit back outside the gates and just pelt people with ERPPCs at 1300m. Just whacking the building that they're hiding behind is usually enough to pin them, making them afraid to poke out and contribute to the fight. It doesn't really work any more, the way people play the map nowadays, but some people still do it regardless.

The thing is, the blocks that the screens are attached to would still render properly, and anyone who has played this map long enough (the one I suspected firing is from an IS loyalist squad, I won't mention more at this point) should certainly know better the layout of the map.

View PostHexenhammer, on 23 December 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

The real question is, How smooth was the mech's aim? If the mech tracked you smoothly instead of jumping around it was most likely an aimbot.

Personally I can't say I've ever seen an aimbot. I mean I can't say; "A player named AIMBOT100 was using a bot". I can say I've seen some suspicious things but nothing conclusive.

It was pretty smooth, not to mention, always follows my torso dead center.

#148 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostAnjian, on 23 December 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

The thing is, the blocks that the screens are attached to would still render properly, and anyone who has played this map long enough (the one I suspected firing is from an IS loyalist squad, I won't mention more at this point) should certainly know better the layout of the map.

It was pretty smooth, not to mention, always follows my torso dead center.

there is still tons of palyers just doing nonsense and bad thing people shoot 4x their ML at you 800m away, just for whatever reason without realising its past their possibility to hit.

it is always a matter of perception, if people just see "hacks" as the first idea behind these action thats because they seek for hacks without considering just a noob within the cockpit doing something irrational.

#149 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

MLs won't touch you at 800 meters, these are quirked ER large lasers, you can tell from the color and thickness of the beams. How smooth and precise they could follow you is what set my red flags off.

Edited by Anjian, 24 December 2015 - 03:09 AM.

#150 Psycho Icon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 23 December 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

lulz @ "very important 1v1 tourny." It was a community run event with no developer oversight. -

Most of them do and did to an extent. I just got a hero mech for our mrbc season from pgi. Thanks. All competitive tourneys are ran by the community. Learn something

Edited by Psycho Icon, 24 December 2015 - 04:16 AM.

#151 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Which is funny, because IS has more ECM options yet nobody even uses them for CW, despite the LRM spam from Clan pugs. It's almost like... ECM isn't as important has having a good build. =P

That probably has more to do with IS ECM variants being trash (except for the RVN-3L, which still isn't particularly good) while clans have at least 1 very solid ECM heavy chassis, and either way that doesn't dispute that ECM is broken. Additionally, I notice that you left out IS mechs using LRMs against clans.

Lastly, if IS pilots don't have ECM (likely because they don't want to use a trash variant) and they also don't bring AMS against clan LRMs, then getting rained on is their problem due to being bad.

#152 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostAntares102, on 22 December 2015 - 04:57 AM, said:

Its just lights outmaneuvering assaults, shooting the back of the assault and the assault pilot not recognizing for 15 sec that he is shot from the back. Experienced the same thing when I was a newbie pilot. It happens to everybody.
Just because you dont understand how somebody killed you doesnt mean he used hacks.

many times have I in a Spider, Firestarter, Jenner or Cicada snuck up behind an unsuspecting assault Mech and it has been dead within at most 10 seconds, only the SDR-5V would take 15

View PostInkarnus, on 23 December 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

well i find it naiv in todays world to say a game is cheater free. There are 3 kinds of people that do this:
1. very naive people that believe in the good of everybody
2. people that know there friends are cheat and want to sweep it under the rug
3. people that cheat.

in that case I am pretty sure the vast majority of MWO players fall into group 1, but if the vast majority of players believe in the good of there fellow players that means they are not naive

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Which is funny, because IS has more ECM options yet nobody even uses them for CW, despite the LRM spam from Clan pugs. It's almost like... ECM isn't as important has having a good build. =P

IS does not have more ECM capable varients, but does have more chassis of which a single variant can take ECM than Clans, IS has 8 Mech variants, of 8 chassis which can take ECM, Clan has 20 Mech variants of 5 chassis able to take ECM

#153 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Are we playing the same game? The first mech I bought in the game was an ECM mech. Cicada. Now with the money you get from the Tutorial and extra earnings boost overall, you can buy a Hellbringer after about 5 matches played just starting in the game. Maybe only 4.

Lucky that newbie will also have Radar Derp and Seismic, ha? And that Mastery too, is a deal breaker for me.

As a Light pilot, the make or break moment is getting my Speed Boost mastery. Before that, veterans who already have theirs can chase me down in their Heavies (or at least keep pace for a long enough time that I will die before I get away). It is only when I get my mastery that I am finally more agile than them to the point where I can stay alive.

#154 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostXoco, on 24 December 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

Lucky that newbie will also have Radar Derp and Seismic, ha? And that Mastery too, is a deal breaker for me.

As a Light pilot, the make or break moment is getting my Speed Boost mastery. Before that, veterans who already have theirs can chase me down in their Heavies (or at least keep pace for a long enough time that I will die before I get away). It is only when I get my mastery that I am finally more agile than them to the point where I can stay alive.

Mastery doesn't change how your mech handles at all. You're thinking of Elites and Double Basics, which in my experience are mostly placebo. I find that most of my mechs performed just as well before zero skills as they did after full Elites (I've tested this systematically) - the fact that they feel a little more sluggish doesn't really affect performance except for particularly hot builds that need every bit of cooling.

And you're vastly over estimating the effect of Speed Tweak. It's only 7.5%, which is 10kph for a light mech. An ACH with zero skills still goes 130 kph. The unskilled trial Cicada can go faster than that. The difference isn't really great enough to be live or death in an engagement against a heavy. Methinks you need to improve your positioning if you think 10kph is that important.

#155 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostTarogato, on 24 December 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

Mastery doesn't change how your mech handles at all. You're thinking of Elites and Double Basics, which in my experience are mostly placebo. I find that most of my mechs performed just as well before zero skills as they did after full Elites (I've tested this systematically) - the fact that they feel a little more sluggish doesn't really affect performance except for particularly hot builds that need every bit of cooling.

And you're vastly over estimating the effect of Speed Tweak. It's only 7.5%, which is 10kph for a light mech. An ACH with zero skills still goes 130 kph. The unskilled trial Cicada can go faster than that. The difference isn't really great enough to be live or death in an engagement against a heavy. Methinks you need to improve your positioning if you think 10kph is that important.

10 kph doesn't matter much when you are in the ACH with JJ. Especially since you're ACH.
10 kph in a Locust is a matter of life or death. That 10 kph will move you from being just as fast as Hunter-Killer class Lights to actually being faster. It moves you from being fast enough to get away from fast Mediums with significant damage to actually being able to get away with slight damage.
When you are running around with 10 armor on the front of your CT, then that 10 kph makes all the difference.
Same goes for my Jenner IIC. They're not incredibly tough. Still a fair bit tougher than the Locust, but still similar enough on the scale of things. That little margin makes all the difference for fast lights.

#156 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostXoco, on 25 December 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

10 kph doesn't matter much when you are in the ACH with JJ. Especially since you're ACH.
10 kph in a Locust is a matter of life or death. That 10 kph will move you from being just as fast as Hunter-Killer class Lights to actually being faster. It moves you from being fast enough to get away from fast Mediums with significant damage to actually being able to get away with slight damage.
When you are running around with 10 armor on the front of your CT, then that 10 kph makes all the difference.
Same goes for my Jenner IIC. They're not incredibly tough. Still a fair bit tougher than the Locust, but still similar enough on the scale of things. That little margin makes all the difference for fast lights.

this there is just a break even point for speed where a small delta is a huge benefit or small benefit anymore. and this differs from mech to mech.

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 January 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#157 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 22 December 2015 - 04:52 AM, said:

Although there have been hacks used (and mass bans by PGI because of it), I have never heard of a "ghost" hack.

It is possible that new players are not familiar with ECM mechs and an ECM mech's ability to be difficult to spot on sensors and target. This mechanic might be causing the confusion. ECM does make it easier to sneak around and get behind an enemy mech undetected.

ECM can be countered though. Other teammate ECM mechs can counter an enemy ECM signature. Also things like UAVs can spot enemy ECM mechs as well. Other items such as BAP, TAG, NARC, and even PPC/ERPPCs can target ECM mechs and/or disrupt ECM signals.

This is just my guess about why players may think enemy mechs are cheating (ghosting), when really they are flanking under the cover of ECM.

Mass bans? 64 people aren't a mass ban.

Thats a mass ban, of a game that yet has less palyers than MWO on daily base just by steam charts.

The sad naming and shaming of 200+ players

Today as we formally move out of “stealth mode” to ensure a fair APB game going forward we are also publicly listing a sampling of 212 people whom were detected cheating sometime in the last few weeks or months. The list of names can be found here. It’s not comprehensive (the total number of bans are several times this list)

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 January 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#158 Yozaa

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

The skill iz knowing when to uz ur hackz.

Edit: Just replace s with z

Edited by Yozaa, 05 January 2016 - 10:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users