Hacks Vs Skills

158 replies to this topic

#1 Metrocubo

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:44 AM

Hi pilots, it's close a month I play MWO and I saw some players crying about hacks used by other players.
The say they "ghost" themselves to come behind other players and free kill em.
I always answer that, in my opinion, no hack is used: cos first of all playing on Steam, I guess there is an anti-hack system and second... maybe I am naive, but I think players don't have fun if they have a free victory.
Oh and there is a camouflage too. I don't know what it does, but the name makes me think that is something to hide the mech to enemies.
Pls, i wish U could tell me that I am right, that the team with better skill and better teamplay wins and not the one less fair...

Always Steiner,
Zeta

#2 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:49 AM

View PostZetaNicco, on 22 December 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

Hi pilots, it's close a month I play MWO and I saw some players crying about hacks used by other players.
I always answer that, in my opinion, no hack is used: cos first of all playing on Steam, I guess there is an anti-hack system and second... maybe I am naive, but I think players don't have fun if they have a free victory.
Oh and there is a camouflage too. I don't know what it does, but the name makes me think that is something to hide the mech to enemies.
Pls, i wish U could tell me that I am right, that the team with better skill and better teamplay wins and not the one less fair...

Always Steiner,
Zeta

Probably new players who don't know what ECM is think its a hack.

#3 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 22 December 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

Probably new players who don't know what ECM is think its a hack.

And those who aren't aware that contacts only appear on minimap if they are within line-of-sight/targeted by someone else.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

Although there have been hacks used (and mass bans by PGI because of it), I have never heard of a "ghost" hack.

It is possible that new players are not familiar with ECM mechs and an ECM mech's ability to be difficult to spot on sensors and target. This mechanic might be causing the confusion. ECM does make it easier to sneak around and get behind an enemy mech undetected.

ECM can be countered though. Other teammate ECM mechs can counter an enemy ECM signature. Also things like UAVs can spot enemy ECM mechs as well. Other items such as BAP, TAG, NARC, and even PPC/ERPPCs can target ECM mechs and/or disrupt ECM signals.

This is just my guess about why players may think enemy mechs are cheating (ghosting), when really they are flanking under the cover of ECM.

#5 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

Its just lights outmaneuvering assaults, shooting the back of the assault and the assault pilot not recognizing for 15 sec that he is shot from the back. Experienced the same thing when I was a newbie pilot. It happens to everybody.
Just because you dont understand how somebody killed you doesnt mean he used hacks.

Edited by Antares102, 22 December 2015 - 04:57 AM.

#6 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

Since the server authoriative it's unlikely any hax can do anything beyond displaying information read from mem and packets, eg xray and vis wallhack, and player input, eg aimbots.

Collision is handled serverside, and so is dmg etc, even if you manipulate packets to have 1000dmg lasers or to teleport through walls the server would just basically override any of that. unless you can manipulate or hack the server..

#7 Metrocubo

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

THX guyz !!!
I was suspecting that some players just lame when hard kicked Posted Image
So, to win I have to practice more with training ground. Good, let's go to be more confident with aim system Posted Image

#8 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:15 AM

Always Steiner,
Zeta

Hack and hacking is a blanket excuse used by those unwilling to accept that they were killed by a better pilot or just killed at all.

#9 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 22 December 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Hack and hacking is a blanket excuse used by those unwilling to accept that they were killed by a better pilot or just killed at all.

You just had to go there didn't you.

Fact is unlike many other games there are few hackers/cheats in this game.

Another fact is hacks/cheats are worth a lot less in this game.

Also there are hacks and cheats and they do get banned. Aim botters are perma banned.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 December 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#10 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostZetaNicco, on 22 December 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

THX guyz !!!
I was suspecting that some players just lame when hard kicked Posted Image
So, to win I have to practice more with training ground. Good, let's go to be more confident with aim system Posted Image

Little tip for you: If you suspect ECM, take a glance at your HUD. Is it flickering and "out of focus?" there is an enemy ECM 'Mech VERY close by. The only way through it will be either if you equip a BAP and he's not inside the minimum range, or you have your own ECM set to Counter.

If you're able to get up to someone and STILL don't see the flickering, then it to wonder what's happening. Chances are there is always an explanation. As some have said already, the game is Server Authoritative, hax of that nature are VERY hard if not impossible.

#11 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

the most new Players have no idea from the Line of Sight System in MWO, and easy to kill from behind ...No Marker of the Minimap =no Mech behind

#12 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

Lower tier players tend not to have a good idea where other mechs are or how the game works. You can just walk up behind them and kill them many times.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

A really experienced pilot may do very well and may not be cheating and may just have started a new account.

In this case report anyway. Just click on the name on the tab/team screen. Just to be sure. :)

This is a true story. The first time I seen someone match my score on the galaxy/faction wars, he was on my team. I thought he may have been hacking so I remembered his name. He got 13 kills in a single match. He was later perma banned for hacking. I have since not bothered to remember any names and let the ban system take care of it.

I do see hackers/aim botters rarely, that I can be sure of. Only four times in the last few months. 2 times it was a health hack that may or may not have been intentional and both times it was vrs a clan premade team on the galaxy map.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 December 2015 - 05:45 AM.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

Sometimes you ask yourself where did that guy comes from especially when it’s a med or a heavy and it comes out of no were kills you and runs off

So stick together
Join up
Cover each other
Be responsive to your team mates
The gun you save (your team mate) can spell victory

#15 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

Iam here more than 3 years and only once i was 100% sure that someone cheated. ok saw many moments where i thought wtf???
but i was only once really sure that this guy was cheating. was 2 months after CB. We dropped in River City and some of us, including me, defended our Base where the Dropship stands. We was 4 or 5 Mechs as a Dualgauss K2 came up the ramp and moved directly between us and while turning from left to the right, he killed all of us in less then 4 seconds, all with headshots.this wasnt posible because of the gauss Cooldown time, he fired one salvo after another without any cooldown time between it. no other weapons than the 2 gauss. This player moved between us, stoped and was turnin on that place from left to right and killed all with headshots in less than 3-4 seconds. That was the only case where i was sure"yep clear case" since iam here. We all reported that guy and i never saw him again. I dont say theres no cheating in mwo, only say i saw it once where iam sure it was the case, since iam here. yep saw many strange things but cannot for 100% sure say that was cheating. I think there are other games with many more cheating then here

edit: typo

Edited by Mighty Spike, 22 December 2015 - 05:58 AM.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

View Postgh0s7m3rc, on 22 December 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Also, there's the Module "Seismic Sensor". Posted Image
I myself feel a bit like a hacker when "surprising" someone coming out of cover. Posted Image

http://mwo.gamepedia.../Seismic_Sensor

Hah... One match i snuck right up on a guy that had seismic. He was in a stalker, on the top level on crimson. I was in a light, and snuck up behind him on the ramp. I saw him move forward, but it was still forward even if slow, and when moving that module does not work..

I rolled up right on him and cored him from behind. Was pure gold when he called me an ANTI-seismic hacker. I did explain to him how i did it, but i don't think he believed me, as he continued to call me a hacker. I have never hacked, in any game ever.. I certainly wouldn't start on this one,. But i have gotten called it a few times in this game.. I take it as a compliment, and say, maybe i'm not as bad as i thought! Posted Image

A few weeks back at the last CW event, i did get head shotted 4 times in one match, all while moving, and twisting.. I had a feeling someone was using a trainer of some sort. I think i have been head shot once in my 2 1/2 years.. 4 times in one match?? That is not a fluke..

Edited by JC Daxion, 22 December 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#17 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 22 December 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

I do see hackers/aim botters rarely, that I can be sure of. Only four times in the last few months. 2 times it was a health hack that may or may not have been intentional and both times it was vrs a clan premade team on the galaxy map.

Please don't spout nonsense. There is no such thing as a 'health hack' - whatever that even is.

#18 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 22 December 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

Iam here more than 3 years and only once i was 100% sure that someone cheated. ok saw many moments where i thought wtf???
but i was only once really sure that this guy was cheating. was 2 months after CB. We dropped in River City and some of us, including me, defended our Base where the Dropship stands. We was 4 or 5 Mechs as a Dualgauss K2 came up the ramp and moved directly between us and while turning from left to the right, he killed all of us in less then 4 seconds, all with headshots.this wasnt posible because of the gauss Cooldown time. no other weapons than the 2 gauss. This player moved between us, stoped and was turnin on that place from left to right and killed all with headshots in less than 3-4 seconds. That was the only thing where i was sure"yep clear case" since iam here. We all reported that guy and i never saw him again. I dont say theres no cheating in mwo, only say i saw it once where iam sure it was the case, since iam here. yep saw many strange things but cannot for 100% sure say that was cheating. I think there are other games with many more cheating then here

Yep that is similar to the very first time I was sure there was an aim bot. First two shots of the match were head shot kills. On moving mechs. Have not seen anything like that since and it was 2 years ago.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

Always Steiner,
Zeta

MWO afaik doen'T use VAC, and even then VAC does a bad job at finding hacks, at least premium hacks that people have to pay for. However Hacks do exist, as they do for nearly any game, yet since MWO as f2p isn't an easy reroll and continue hacking game, due to the way how you need to quire emchs it's probably not very popular amongts cheaters to play it. Unlike FPS and TPS f2p's where rerolling grants you kinda full access to maximum performance. I also cnanot deny that the steam release may bring in some cheaters, since chetaers are an own culture nowdays, and seeign a nw game appear on steam thats f2p is quite some nice "welcome to test" for them. So clearly PGI should set a mark as early as possible to scare them off, because once a game is marked as "cheater friendly", these people stream in like hell.

Newbies, which now mostly consist of steam players are just too inexperienced with the entire MWO mechanics to know what happens to them. They speak of "getting one shotted in a KGC" Which just isn't possible unless someone truly alpahs into your head, which i superhard. I ded 3x to headshots in my over 1.5k games I have. It's juts them running inot a situation where they get shot simultaneously by multiple mechs.

there is narc, tag, UAV's, seismic, and your teammates locking targets with R, they all can easily reveal the position of an opponent even if you don't see them. It's not hard to sneak up form behind if you know the map and the general flow the opponents are heading to.

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 December 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#20 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 22 December 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

Please don't spout nonsense. There is no such thing as a 'health hack' - whatever that even is.

See you starting a fight. On purpose. Knowing your wrong. I have two words for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users