#21 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

grind the C-bills, play them both, pick the one best suited to your play style, and work on mastering the Heavies at the same time.

#22 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 December 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

Imo, Hellbringer wins hands down. Decent hitboxes for spreading damage, good high hardpoints, high cockpit, and the ECM is invaluable. ECM allows you to win free trades when you poke because the enemy doesn't see a red dorito over your head.

The EBJ is a 65-ton Timberwolf, but it doesn't have ECM and it has a huge CT hitbox and rarely spreads damage, so it dies very easily. Also, the cockpit is low and the arms are wide, so the enemy can shoot you before you can shoot them no matter how you peek.

This!
I sold my EBJ because everytime I was in it, I asked myself why am I not in my TBR??

#23 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

Reviving such an old discussion is kind of strange, but it's a good one. ^^
Right now I am experimenting with good dropdecks and can't find anything better than this:
HBR - ECM, 3 LL, 4 SL
EBJ-B - 4 ML, 2 LPL
EBJ - 5 ML, UAC20
SCR - 3 MPL, UAC20

So for me both mechs work quite well in factionplay. Posted Image

View PostNatred, on 12 September 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

6 medium pulse lasers plus ecm and heat sinks is pretty fun on the hellbringer, actually very effective. 2 on the arms and 3 on the left torso and 1 on the CT. Have to be very mindful of heat. Also experimenting with a 3 large laser build for faction play.

A HBR with 3 LL is great in factionplay.
It is not as extreme as a 4 LL model, but you will need some short range support... so I came up with the one you can the above and play it as my first mech ever since. :)

Edited by J I N, 22 September 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#24 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

For 3LL i can simply bring a Shadowcat. More mobile, lower weight.

#25 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 21 September 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

For 3LL i can simply bring a Shadowcat. More mobile, lower weight.

True, but when I tried the 2 LPL Shadowcat it was even too hot to do decent damage in an ongoing firefight.
I would not expect to get good results from a 3 LL build, because such a build runs way too hot and does not want to engage enemys. Over all the DPS you are really producing in a match should be low, because of the defensiv playstyle and the risk of overheating most of the time.

The same weapon systems work totally different, if you are using them on different mechs! This is no way to analyze the strength of a build.

If you have some expirience playing such a Shadowcat build, feel free to share it. I'm always interested in new ways to handle a mech.
Do you use a HBR in factionplay? Maybe share your build, so we can compare it with mine. Posted Image

#26 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

I have had success with
Hellbringer 6 medium pulse lasers ecm
Hellbringer 3 large lasers ecm
Hellbringer 4 large lasers ecm
Shadow cat 2 large lasers 3 machine guns ecm
Some of these have targeting comp don't remember which ones.
I choose to be more of an long range fire support for my team. Mainly I deal with thoughs annoying grasshopper, maulers, hunchbacks, black nights that boat large lasers so I keep them honest. Instead of them getting free shots at my teamates they are forced to deal with me.

#27 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

No, i dont own HBR now. Once i had one, but sold em long ago. Will get another from the rewards.
In my mind the 3LL SHC runs cooler than the 2 LPls. I just want to say that you could use a 65t mech better than with just 3 Large Laser.
Gauss, Peps, something like this.
But also, cERLargeLaser are pretty meh^^

#28 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

I have not tried the ebon jaguar except the trial once or twice. I see good pilots put up really good damage with the ebon jaguar, better then my hellbringer numbers. Find which one supports your play style I suppose. I have put on great numbers with the two large pulse shadow cat but I feel it does not perform well in a contracted battle compared to the two large laser shadow cat in my opinion.

#29 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

I understand that this is an old topic now, but to anyone new finding this:

The Ebon Jaguar and Hellbringer are side grades to each other, neither one is truly better than the other. It more or less boils down to this:

"Do you want to be more selfish or more team oriented?"

If that doesn't make sense, well look at it this way, most Hellbringers will make use of the ECM pod, as it also offers 3 high mounted energy points. And while true ECM is no-longer as powerful as it once was, it still helps support coordinated group effort. On the Other hand the Ebon Jaguar brings 5t more weapons / ammo to the party, though not a huge difference, and likely to be spent on Heat Sinks on some of the higher heat builds, it does let you kill quicker than the Hellbringer, also helping a group. It all really comes down to personal choice, me I'd take the Hellbringer, because I'd rather make the group stronger over making myself stronger.

#30 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

there is one simple advantage to the EBJ... it can mount 2x UAC20 and plenty of ammo, meaning its one of the lightest fastest 80 damage alpha mechs around

if you aren't a fan of boxing with big guns, you can use this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b7f80b42de01fd4
or for longer range this (pretty nice since the ERLL and gaus can be in the same weapon group without messing up each others firing patterns)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8b44587ffd03022

extra pod space is very nice on the EBJ

also if you don't mount the "ears" of the EBJ the mech is really flat and small so its great for running around

Edited by maimaimi, 25 September 2016 - 08:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users