#41 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 28 December 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

But that makes you a fool, as your armor is a resource that allows you to take fire in order to deal yours, and since you do not use it, you seal your own losses, as the damage you would have taken kills off members of your team.

No I just prefer to save mine for when I really need it.

#42 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 28 December 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

No I just prefer to save mine for when I really need it.

But that doesn't work due to force multiplication: Your enemies end up having more guns than you, and your armor becomes irrelevant very quickly when they focus you. If you hide to save your armor, you have already lost it.

#43 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostSandpit, on 28 December 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

no
Now you're just trying to use a very specific, random, and mistake example to point out why you should huddle behind one hill and get rolled?

You gotta step out and take those shots. If you're in a big bad mech with lots of armor and you're letting those mediums and lurm boats lead the charge, you're doing it very wrong, period.

Actually, I'm a big LRM boat and on certain maps I tend to lead the charge due to terrain and other maps if I get a good drop site, I'll hunker because its defensible and I can hit any mech on the map. If you go to Frozen City, there is a little hill right behind the ramp up to the right of the dropship. It has an invisible wall there, its a good firing spot and I hunker like mad there. Meanwhile, on Mining Collective, there isn't really many great LRM points to hunker, so I tend to stay close with the group and end up leading.

That being said, unless you are a brawler and a charge is called, no you don't rush in. Most players are using high energy and AC mount points for a reason.

#44 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Almost every match today was lost because half my team sat behind cover and DID NOT SHOOT the enemy until surrounded.

Your team CANNOT win if YOU are NOT SHOOTING. The enemy WILL NOT kill themselves. YOU have to HELP KILL THEM.

When you hide, you give the enemy an opportunity to concentrate their fire and score easy kills on the few of us who ARE trying to FIGHT.

And for what? When the enemy has finished the rest of us off, then they go looking for YOU and kill you through their by-now far superior numbers. And then YOU lose, and the WHOLE TEAM LOSES, including those of us who were actually fighting while you sat pointlessly behind a rock achieving nothing.

And this will happen EVERY SINGLE TIME until you actually ENGAGE IN THE FIGHT and STOP HIDING.

This post would have been far more cathartic if I'd been able to use swear words.

It's funny. People think that you can hide the enemy to death and then complain about noobs and morons. When that absolutely fresh Direwhale is finally ready to fight, we are down to one or two left and the complaint is "What happened to all you idiots?"

Played a few games in my Atlas the other night. I'm generally not great in Assaults, so I'm learning as I go. The "team lead" said "PUSH PUSH PUSH!!!" on voice comms. He and I pushed. Two or three steps. He noticed everyone else hiding even further and wisely chose to back up. Right behind me. I didn't last long. His comment was "You can't snipe everyone all the time." My comment was , "You make a helluva door!" LOL

Frustrating, to say the least.

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 December 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

pu$$y lol

This is pretty much why I don't watch you stream. You believe testosterone is the plural of intellect.

#45 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

lots of players don't understand the necessity of trading their armor

at full strength both teams have a certain amount of dps; the team that spreads the enemies' damage across more of it's armor is most of the time going to win, because their mechs will live longer.

when half the team engages and the other half doesn't, it's basically a guaranteed loss (unless the other team was similarly cowardly.)

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 December 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

i read somewhere that 90% of modern gamers cant beat the first level of super mario brothers. these are the kind of people who become sit around do nothing mechwarriors.

Hey, I beat em all.... well...stopped playing after mario 64... aside from MarioKart because Mariokart is still the greatest video game of all time, and all real 1337s know this.

#47 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 December 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Hey, I beat em all.... well...stopped playing after mario 64... aside from MarioKart because Mariokart is still the greatest video game of all time, and all real 1337s know this.

It is known that Zelda is the greatest video game of all time. I mean when you beat the game and then the monsters get new abilities on a Nintendo, that was something very new indeed.

#48 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostRhent, on 28 December 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Actually, I'm a big LRM boat and on certain maps I tend to lead the charge due to terrain and other maps if I get a good drop site, I'll hunker because its defensible and I can hit any mech on the map. If you go to Frozen City, there is a little hill right behind the ramp up to the right of the dropship. It has an invisible wall there, its a good firing spot and I hunker like mad there. Meanwhile, on Mining Collective, there isn't really many great LRM points to hunker, so I tend to stay close with the group and end up leading.

That being said, unless you are a brawler and a charge is called, no you don't rush in. Most players are using high energy and AC mount points for a reason.

there's a difference in a coordinated push and going full rambo. Let's just assume that the ones discussing this have been here long enough to know the difference ;)
It's all about context.

I don't care what strategy, tactic, build, etc. you suggest there's ALWAYS a situation where it's not "good". MWO is very situational so you have to take everything in context.

Most of the stuff here, is generalized because we're not writing guides in GD. It's far too complex and deep to write full on strategies in every GD thread. ;)

#49 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

There"s a reason why 1700 infantry tactics went buh bye.
Consequently I should be leading a push in a lurm boat.

#50 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 December 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

I TK the fuq out of cowards. Everyone that has played with me knows this and by and large people have stopped being worthless hiders in my matches.

Sure you do. Sure you do. Such hyperbole.

#51 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

View PostRhent, on 28 December 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

It is known that Zelda is the greatest video game of all time. I mean when you beat the game and then the monsters get new abilities on a Nintendo, that was something very new indeed.

Yes, it is a known fact that your favorite game is objectively the best game ever and to disagree is like saying water isn't wet.

#52 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostMouseNo4, on 28 December 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Try staying with the group OP. You will live longer.

I've got news for you. Some don't care about dying as long as their death contributed to the win.

Vanguards and suicide bombers are supposed to die and die gloriously. Posted Image

#53 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 December 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

pu$$y lol

You are like, the second worst kind of internet person.

#54 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 December 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

The issue is not 'STAYING WITH THE TEAM'. It's that half the team is standing behind cover and not shooting at anything.

When half the team is hiding, and not fighting, then piling behind their rock just makes it even harder for the few people who are fighting to win.

The team needs first and foremost to actually engage with the enemy. And yes, bonus points and force multiplication for all if they're also smart enough to stick together and concentrate their fire.

But from what I've experienced today, half the playing population needs to understand that they need to actually be shooting at the enemy to have a chance of winning.

This and the ones who run away from the enemy as fast as they can leaving a couple of guys to fight piss me off. I have no qualms about shooting deserters.

Maybe the only thing worse is when they shoot me in the back trying to shoot around me, using me as a meat shield. I made a thread about that one having to apologize for TKing them when i turned around and shot back with 6 mpl and a LPL.

#55 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Do you know how often i run through 10 tons of ammo in a match before anyone on my team seriously engages? I have to tell my team "I just burnt through 10 tons of ammo, sorry guys, I can't carry you any further." That sometimes helps to spur them on.

What? You don't charge into the heart of the enemy after running out of ammo?

#56 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Almost every match today was lost because half my team sat behind cover and DID NOT SHOOT the enemy until surrounded.

Your team CANNOT win if YOU are NOT SHOOTING. The enemy WILL NOT kill themselves. YOU have to HELP KILL THEM.

When you hide, you give the enemy an opportunity to concentrate their fire and score easy kills on the few of us who ARE trying to FIGHT.

And for what? When the enemy has finished the rest of us off, then they go looking for YOU and kill you through their by-now far superior numbers. And then YOU lose, and the WHOLE TEAM LOSES, including those of us who were actually fighting while you sat pointlessly behind a rock achieving nothing.

And this will happen EVERY SINGLE TIME until you actually ENGAGE IN THE FIGHT and STOP HIDING.

This post would have been far more cathartic if I'd been able to use swear words.

Then be a LEADER. Attempt to organize. Lead the charge. Muster the troops. Or shut up and die. Be part of your own solution. We have all played in pug drops with ZERO comms and been stomped and done the stomping. But taking INITIATIVE, and using VOIP, and coordinating a few mechs can be all it takes. You wont always make the right choices, god knows Ive made HORRIBLE calls in a match, but no one else did any better. So step up and LEAD or just bend over and take it.

Edited by Lemming of the BDA, 28 December 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#57 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 28 December 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

I've got news for you. Some don't care about dying as long as their death contributed to the win.

Vanguards and suicide bombers are supposed to die and die gloriously. Posted Image

INDEED

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 December 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Gamecube MarioKart on the Wii, on the 120" multimedia projector. Almost not enough weed in Colo for this much fun.

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 28 December 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Then be a LEADER. Attempt to organize. Lead the charge. Muster the troops. Or shut up and die. Be part of your own solution. We have all played in pug drops with ZERO comms and been stomped and done the stomping. But taking INITIATIVE, and using VOIP, and coordinating a few mechs can be all it takes. You wont always make the right choices, god knows Ive made HORRIBLE calls in a match, but no one else did any better. So step up and LEAD or just bend over and take it.

Sorry but the type he is talking about aren't going to follow they are going to get out of the way.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 28 December 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#58 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 28 December 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Get out of here with that ableist BS, not everyone has the skillset, patience, or desire to try and talk a room full of strangers through tactical strategies, and not everyone should try. All you're doing is encouraging people with no idea what they're doing to tell people what to do(and probably get ignored). Those who are capable and willing to learn should try, but assuming that anyone can just armchair patton their way to victory, and blaming the problem on those who choose not to, makes you look like quite an enormous jerk.

#59 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

View PostSandpit, on 28 December 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

there's a difference in a coordinated push and going full rambo. Let's just assume that the ones discussing this have been here long enough to know the difference Posted Image
It's all about context.

I don't care what strategy, tactic, build, etc. you suggest there's ALWAYS a situation where it's not "good". MWO is very situational so you have to take everything in context.

Most of the stuff here, is generalized because we're not writing guides in GD. It's far too complex and deep to write full on strategies in every GD thread. Posted Image

The majority sentiment on this thread is don't hide, go out and fight. Which, takes away from the basics of the game. I get what you are saying, but I'm willing to bet a lot of the guys have no clue to even call a push and expect everyone to follow them or they get pissed off at the LRM boat turning themselves into a turret and not leaving a protected firing spot to charge with them, seen that plenty O times.

The worst case was an Aussie upset that I did 729 damage and killed the remaining two lights and won the match for him, because I was acting as a firing platform and not brawler with a LRM mech. Just saying, there is a lot of stupid in the game and you can't fix it. And at tim es you have to really state the basics in a thread for people to get it. There are a lot of black and white players who play likes its halo instead of chess with guns.

#60 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 28 December 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

General Patton - The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other ******* die for his.

Hmm. I think Patton was referring to lowly grunts, not armored vehicles. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users