• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

View Postfat4eyes, on 29 December 2015 - 01:56 AM, said:

Staying defensive never works if you are facing enemies who have even the most basic idea of strategy.

FTFY ;)

I think it's a combo of different things. Partially new players being timid, partially dbags wanting to hide out in the rear and only "come out" when it's "safe"

You can't sit in a static position. Next time you're "in cover" look around, if any of the following apply to you then move
More than one other mech with you in an area only wide enough to support 2 mechs with cover
More than half the team huddle up standing on top of one another blocking shots and just taking fire instead
Not a single solitary teammate is in your grid position
A UAV shows more than 2 enemy mechs under 200 meters to you
You're in a choke point
You're on a ramp with no intention to push over
You're standing directly behind a friendly mech. There's absolutely no reason your firing line should include shooting over, around, or through a teammate. Period

Those are some good rules of thumb. If any of those apply to your mini map and situation, it's a safe bet you're camping and doing more harm than good for your team.

#82 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:53 AM

'defense' is an effective strategy, but it requires much more discipline than just pushing in a ball (this is why tournament skirmish games have a tendency to end 1-0 or 0-0.)

nascar/deathball or whatever the term of art is these days isn't necessarily the best strategy all the time, but it's the easiest all the time and that matters in pubs. It's much better to do the wrong thing decisively and as a group than to take a year figuring out the right thing.

#83 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:16 AM

...River Assault-two Lances leave us , and going to the Upper Town ,to hunt three Lights
I´m with (driving a Bounty Hunter) my three Teammates trying to stop two Heavy/Assault Lances to cap the Base ,by the Citadel we cry for Help ...nothing ,the two Lances going slow over the Airfield to the under City ..my Lance dead ,the two Enemy lances very heavy damaged...two Minutes later the two lances destroyed the Enemys in a Rush (A Dire ended the Game with 85-90% Armor and 5 Kills)

sorry for my bad english Posted Image is not my Mother Language ,im hope ,you can read it ?

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 29 December 2015 - 03:18 AM.

#84 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Close. They want to do the most damage possible in order to reap the biggest c-bill rewards they can per match. Typically in this game it means not exposing yourself and taking pot-shots throughout the course of the match and retreating as soon as any fire is concentrated upon you (RE: Every 2ERLL Raven pilot ever). This game has thoroughly ingrained upon us the nature of its attrition-based gameplay, and exposing yourself for any kind of aggression goes against that nature. Even if it spells defeat.

Add into the mix the fact that defeat carries no real penalty, and the problem gets even worse.

There's a reason most meta builds sport ER larges. Brawler builds - and thereby, aggressive play-styles - are a much rarer breed.

You are quite correct, but in light of that I will never not brawl if my mech is capable of doing it. Only mech I think I own that isn't prepared to brawl is my HBK-4J lol. Brawler for life, yo.

#85 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Do you know how often i run through 10 tons of ammo in a match before anyone on my team seriously engages? I have to tell my team "I just burnt through 10 tons of ammo, sorry guys, I can't carry you any further." That sometimes helps to spur them on.

I had a match last week on frozen city where both sides just dug in and sat there poking. I was piloting a MAD-BH2 with an AC20 and medium lasers so I want some face time not hidey pokey.

So I turn all the way around and go all the way through the ice cave all the way into the back of the enemy lines and one shot a Hunchback missile boat through the rear right torso.it was very satifying so I continued to disassemble the enemy from behind their lines and managed to land 6 kills and over 1k damage.at this point I am out of AC20 ammo the whole time I am on comms practically begging my team to advance because EVERY enemy mech left had turned to engage my ammo depleted but.

So the enemy team 5 v 1 s me into the dirt and then goes on to destroy the rest of my team.

Yes they lost even after I landed them a 4 kill lead. The entirety of the rest of my team managed to kill one Jenner IIc.

7 kills on the board 6 were mine of those 2 were solo kills.My personal damage numbers were over three times the next highest on my team. I fed 4 tons of AC20 ammo into the backs of the enemy mechs and my "team" still lost due to not wanting to break cover and collect a victory I had served up to them on a silver platter.

This is why I never expect results from the solo queue.

Edited by Lykaon, 29 December 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#86 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

So, my thread about how to win matches is considered "off topic" and got jettisoned because ... telling people how to stop losing matches over and over and over is considered a bad thing?

Really...?

Edited by Appogee, 29 December 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#87 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

I just had a most amazing match where everyone hid. I got pissed off, charged in, made 300 something damage, and still out damaged 8 mechs that out lasted me.

#88 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

Am I allowed to keep posting in this thread?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users