87 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

Almost every match today was lost because half my team sat behind cover and DID NOT SHOOT the enemy until surrounded.

Your team CANNOT win if YOU are NOT SHOOTING. The enemy WILL NOT kill themselves. YOU have to HELP KILL THEM.

When you hide, you give the enemy an opportunity to concentrate their fire and score easy kills on the few of us who ARE trying to FIGHT.

And for what? When the enemy has finished the rest of us off, then they go looking for YOU and kill you through their by-now far superior numbers. And then YOU lose, and the WHOLE TEAM LOSES, including those of us who were actually fighting while you sat pointlessly behind a rock achieving nothing.

And this will happen EVERY SINGLE TIME until you actually ENGAGE IN THE FIGHT and STOP HIDING.

This post would have been far more cathartic if I'd been able to use swear words.

Edited by Appogee, 28 December 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

i read somewhere that 90% of modern gamers cant beat the first level of super mario brothers. these are the kind of people who become sit around do nothing mechwarriors.

#3 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 December 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

i read somewhere that 90% of modern gamers cant beat the first level of super mario brothers. these are the kind of people who become sit around do nothing mechwarriors.

And MWO requires even less reflexes and timing than the first level of Super Mario Brothers.

#4 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

It's more of a mentality that comes over from other shooters I think. Most other shooters, if you run a round a corner into an enemy, a couple of shots you're dead. Mechs can sustain a LOT of damage in comparison. It's not that they're "scared" it's that I think a lot of newer players don't understand how durable their mechs are.

On the flipside of that, you "vets" out there that like to sit and clump up hidden together behind one hill, yea, you really are doing it wrong. Stop being timid, stop worrying about your personal KDR (I promise nobody else cares about it), get out there and shoot. If you're in an assault and you're over 90% and hiding behind a corner midway through the fight, I do my best to redirect the enemy force to your location by having them chase me into your general area.

I'm not going to sacrifice my mech just so you can have a better KDR. I won't break any rules and give away positions (unless your'e shut down and not participating or some such), but I can dam sure park right next to you and attract a lot of attention :)

#5 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

People want to win without taking any damage.

I have no explanation for this.

#6 MouseNo4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 630 posts
  • LocationVictoria Australia

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Try staying with the group OP. You will live longer.

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 28 December 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

People want to win without taking any damage.

Close. They want to do the most damage possible in order to reap the biggest c-bill rewards they can per match. Typically in this game it means not exposing yourself and taking pot-shots throughout the course of the match and retreating as soon as any fire is concentrated upon you (RE: Every 2ERLL Raven pilot ever). This game has thoroughly ingrained upon us the nature of its attrition-based gameplay, and exposing yourself for any kind of aggression goes against that nature. Even if it spells defeat.

Add into the mix the fact that defeat carries no real penalty, and the problem gets even worse.

There's a reason most meta builds sport ER larges. Brawler builds - and thereby, aggressive play-styles - are a much rarer breed.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostAppogee, on 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Almost every match today was lost because half my team sat behind cover and DID NOT SHOOT the enemy until surrounded.

Your team CANNOT win if YOU are NOT SHOOTING. The enemy WILL NOT kill themselves. YOU have to HELP KILL THEM.

When you hide, you give the enemy an opportunity to concentrate their fire and score easy kills on the few of us who ARE trying to FIGHT.

And for what? When the enemy has finished the rest of us off, then they go looking for YOU and kill you through their by-now far superior numbers. And then YOU lose, and the WHOLE TEAM LOSES, including those of us who were actually fighting while you sat pointlessly behind a rock achieving nothing.

And this will happen EVERY SINGLE TIME until you actually ENGAGE IN THE FIGHT and STOP HIDING.

This post would have been far more cathartic if I'd been able to use swear words.

Do you know how often i run through 10 tons of ammo in a match before anyone on my team seriously engages? I have to tell my team "I just burnt through 10 tons of ammo, sorry guys, I can't carry you any further." That sometimes helps to spur them on.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 28 December 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#9 AbyssalTyrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostMouseNo4, on 28 December 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

But you will still lose. Who the **** cares about that? How about you actually try to contribute instead of waiting for someone to carry you?

Edited by AbyssalTyrant, 28 December 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#10 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostMouseNo4, on 28 December 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

The issue is not 'STAYING WITH THE TEAM'. It's that half the team is standing behind cover and not shooting at anything.

When half the team is hiding, and not fighting, then piling behind their rock just makes it even harder for the few people who are fighting to win.

The team needs first and foremost to actually engage with the enemy. And yes, bonus points and force multiplication for all if they're also smart enough to stick together and concentrate their fire.

But from what I've experienced today, half the playing population needs to understand that they need to actually be shooting at the enemy to have a chance of winning.

Edited by Appogee, 28 December 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#11 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

I TK the fuq out of cowards. Everyone that has played with me knows this and by and large people have stopped being worthless hiders in my matches.

#12 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

I read the OP as half the team is standing in the open getting shot while the other half has common since to use cover and not get shot.

#13 nephilimUK

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEssex, UK

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

Brawler builds - and thereby, aggressive play-styles - are a much rarer breed.

Indeed. I took the SRM's off my Atlas today and replaced them with LRM.

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

View Postclownwarlord, on 28 December 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

I read the OP as half the team is standing in the open getting shot while the other half has common since to use cover and not get shot.

I read it as, Half teh team trying to push and move out from behind the cover of one hill while the other half wants to stand on top of each other and just get surrounded and rolled.

#15 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

The longer you play the more you get a feel for what's going to happen. It's like Mech Sense or something. It starts tingling when you see your team wondering around aimlessly and it goes off like an air raid siren when they stop moving and wait for the other team to do something.

This game is like chess. You win by applying constant relentless pressure on the opponent and force them to react to your moves. The second this stops they get the chance to apply pressure and now you have to react to their actions. It's about control and standing around waiting for the enemy to do something is a recipe for failure.

#16 Jae Hyun Nakamura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 288 posts
  • LocationMarburg

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 December 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

I TK the fuq out of cowards. Everyone that has played with me knows this and by and large people have stopped being worthless hiders in my matches.

And with the new reporting system you are still here?

I played with you today and you yelled at your teammates something like: "ty for FF you little children/kiddies...rage...more rage...silence"

I thought to myself: man...let it go (ok, had some frozen pictures on my mind) it's still just pixels

#17 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

View PostSandpit, on 28 December 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

I read it as, Half teh team trying to push and move out from behind the cover of one hill while the other half wants to stand on top of each other and just get surrounded and rolled.

This is the objective reality.

#18 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

But what about the other team? Sounds like they were not hiding. Sounds like people are only hiding when they are on your team which sounds really odd. Odd like randomly using caps loc.

#19 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostJae Hyun Nakamura, on 28 December 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

And with the new reporting system you are still here?

I played with you today and you yelled at your teammates something like: "ty for FF you little children/kiddies...rage...more rage...silence"

I thought to myself: man...let it go (ok, had some frozen pictures on my mind) it's still just pixels

Talk to me when you engage 2v1 on a light mech to pin the enemy down so your team can roll in on the isolated mechs, then have half your mech blown out from under you by friendly fire. Mentally handicapped person.

Edited by Kristian Radoulov, 28 December 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#20 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 December 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

Talk to me when you engage 2v1 on a light mech to pin the enemy down so your team can roll in on the isolated mechs, then have half your mech blown out from under you by friendly fire. Mentally handicapped person.

Didn't you know light mechs are OP :P

View PostSandpit, on 28 December 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

I guess you could read it as that but I am kinda lazy and like to keep the enemy at 400 to 600 meters so I do full damage while I watch their medium lasers do dittly :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users