Petition To Save Alpine! = Verdict: It Stays

154 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Alpine Peaks remain in rotation? (611 member(s) have cast votes)

With some tweaks to Alpine Peaks geometry, should it stay in rotation?

1. Yes. (521 votes [85.27%])

Percentage of vote: 85.27%

2. No. Explain why. (90 votes [14.73%])

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:05 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...to-save-alpine/

UPDATE

View PostBig Tin Man, on 04 January 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

w00t!!!

Russ Bullockruss_bullock 7m7 minutes ago

I will try to update the Road map when I can but I was wrong - Alpine was always going to stay in rotation, I had old information. It stays

https://twitter.com/...098971225096192

#SavedAlpine

Plain and simple. Read the link. Place your votes.
I actually like this map. I agree with reworking it from the ground up... but the original map still has a use, unlike the original first colony *barf*
Out selection of maps is limited. Nuke that mountain and revise the spawn points and -BAM- another map alongside the new one

#SAVEALPINE

January roadmap here
http://mwomercs.com/...nuary-road-map/

Edited by Team Chevy86, 04 January 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

I voted yes

#3 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

Yes, it's definitely a lot of resources invested into it that can be salvaged and put to good use. Since the new map got a new name there is nothing stopping pgi from putting a revamped version back in rotation at any time.

#4 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:27 AM

Such a waste.

#5 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:31 AM

I hope it goes, its massively barren, only fun if you're a sniper build etc, as we cannot change mechs on the fly.. You are royally screwed if you go in with a mid to close range mech.. I wont miss it.

BUT

I hope they add more maps to fill its void as this game is lacking content for a years old game, seriously lacking.. And i've only just joined MWO after years, not much has been added..

#6 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

I have no problems with Alpine which wouldn't be fixed by making the short, steep slope easier to climb and relocating the conquest cap points to stop the massive bun fight in the centre of the map (actually to my mind ALL the central cap points should be moved).

Yes, it's an unfair and unbalanced map as it stands but as you have a random chance to spawn on either side that's fine by me.

Oh and happy New Year! :)

#7 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:52 AM

We have very few maps as it is. I rather have a few bad apples in a decent supply and variety of maps. Keep it.

While on the topic, bring back old caustic into rotation as well. Alongside the new one. (I dont like the new one, i loved the old one)

MORE MAPS!

#8 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

No. Becouse that will make precedence and they will need to add all of the old map taken out of rotation which by me were good maps.

Edited by Kotev, 01 January 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

I vote Yes, keep it in.

My arguments for PGI:

- You have put a lot of work into this map, and IMO it's servicable with only some tweaks. Look into making the H10 mountain less prominent, and tweaking the spawn points to encourage more of the map to be used. Maybe a quick touch-up to make it look better visually, if you have ideas for that.

- It's already a really well-playing map in Conquest.

- It's a very popular map whenever it's available for vote. IMO this should weigh a lot in your decision.

Bring in the new map -- it sounds interesting, and we can always use more maps for variety -- but in this case, please keep the old one in.

#10 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:26 AM

Mount Tryhard is the problem with Alpine Peaks. And the lack of cover that encourages cowardly ultra-long range gauss rifle and ER Large Laser sniping. It is maps like this one that got PPCs nerfed into in usability without quirks.

I voted "yes," though, because the map can be saved. The military base behind Mount Tryhard can be a lot of fun to fight in. I've had cool brawls on top of the mountain too. I've also been one-shotted in the back by Dire Wolf gauss cowards shooting at me under ECM from 1000 meters away and that's no fun.

Let's be real. Most people into mech combat want to do what they do in the books...or in good anime...and get it on up close and personal with big stompy robots. So in my experience, the majority of folks I've run with in the PuG queues and in unit drops enjoy a good brawl much more than hill-hump sniping at three pixels or squinting through Advanced Zoom with a Level 7 targeting computer, or hiding head-down behind handy rocks and LRMing each other to death in indirect fire modes. I know, I know. "But, Chados! That takes meh skillz!" What-ever (cue rolling eyes...yes, I get that your girlfriend does the "whatever" with the eye-roll too. We *all* do it. Even when we get old.). It's stupendously BORING and frustrating, which is why Russ calls Alpine "unfair," as it it encourages that kind of gameplay. And yes, I like my LRMs too but I prefer them in medium range 3-400 meter brawls where they are not my main weapon, but a backup to autocannon with Artemis direct-fire locks that also can shoot indirectly for a shot or three when my target tries to disappear over a handy ridge.

#11 Ennkidu

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

I like Alpine they way it is.

#12 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:42 AM

They shoukd bring back all old classic maps as well.

Old caustic, old forest colony (snow) etc.

#13 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:57 AM

Alpine Peaks is one of my favorite maps - has been since I started this game in 2013. And with the new map-voting system... well, I'm not going to lie, I do my best to stack the deck so I can pretty much ensure I drop on Alpine when it shows up.

While I am fine with the map as-is, I can see why people dislike it so I think with a handful of minor tweaks (as others have mentioned), I think those that dislike it will come around.

#14 Nothar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 123 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

I voted yes, can't we add frozen city buildings and sky scrapers, lots of destructible and large non-destructible frozen trees to it and call it a day? please don't remove it permanently from rotation!(although not clear on the details). Just bombard it with cover and site obscuring eye candy?

#15 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

No, until it is reworked.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

I vote no in its current form. If they're willing to make changes to the map, then by all means keep it in. But its the biggest map in the game, and yet fighting always takes place on the exact same areas. No fighting ever goes on south of the J-line, ever.

Maybe it could work for 4v4, depending on the game mode. But I don't enjoy Skirmish or Assault matches on Alpine, because pugs always take the same positions. Conquest is better, but the bases are still fairly tightly concentrated.

#17 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostSamial, on 01 January 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

I hope it goes, its massively barren, only fun if you're a sniper build etc, as we cannot change mechs on the fly.. You are royally screwed if you go in with a mid to close range mech.. I wont miss it.

BUT

I hope they add more maps to fill its void as this game is lacking content for a years old game, seriously lacking.. And i've only just joined MWO after years, not much has been added..

Except I regularly do very well with short range builds. Even short range Atlas builds.

#18 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

-we already have too few maps..but endless supply of mechs.
-we already have very few maps with good visibility, everything else is rocks and trees and fog and whatnot
-we already have only 2 ice maps.

Don't delete it, if anything bring the old maps back - bring back old caustic and river and forest. they werent bad maps, only needed minor tweaks. Same is with alpine. Just negate the singular platform on the middle mountain in some form - make it fully inaccessible or make it larger and with access from more points than now or delete that mountain all over and make there an lake ...ffs there are enough ideas better than deletion.

#19 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

I don't see the need for its removal.

All it needs is some re-working. Here's whats needed:

1) the Spawn points are too far apart. <for both teams>

2) the Candy Mountain [As some are calling it] should be made impassable and redesigned to make it no longer a dominating feature on the map.

3) redistribute the Conquest points. Make them even and aligned with each other, with Theta Cap dead center in the map.

4) This goes to point #1, add another base to the map. In fact, make each base a spawn point for each team.

Hopefully this should solve some issues. Although, Polar Highlands will be a great addition to the game. Still we need more in rotation. So if possible, make some new ones and re-work the old ones

On another note, old caustic doesn't need to be brought back, and the new version just needs some reworking in and around the cauldron area of the mountain. It's hard to maneuver, I get it, but make it more maneuverable around the mountain top should make the map more enjoyable.

#20 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:34 AM

Alpine is terribly unbalanced. Better to start over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users