Missile Boat Teams

88 replies to this topic

#1 Senpai Stalker 1

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Personally I believe they are a sad excuse of exploiting the game. When a team does nothing but volley at a distance and kill half the enemy team in a matter of minutes, it's no fun. My friend says that they won't do anything and I'm not expecting them to because they don't care (they have our money) but we the players should be better than this. We should play the game the way it was meant to be played, not some cheap easy mode/ lazy way. I just wanted to say my opinion and I'm sure others before me already posted similar stuff. GLHF Mechwarriors!

#2 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

#3 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

It's a support weapon, meant to keep your head down, slow you down and force you into cover.

Go for cover, or close the gap.

#4 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

My mechs that have AMS don't get beat up too bad. That being said I do share some of your sentiments, but only when the LRM boating is way over done. Stay by ECM, use AMS and always remember players with missiles are out there. Aside from the fact that I try to stay in cover because of the opposing team shooting anything at me, I always have it in the back of my mind that if someone is targeting me, someone with missiles likely is as well.

I also don't see LRM boats getting a lot of kills. The damage is always so spread out it seems and if you can flank well enough they're sitting ducks.

#5 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

I've been forced into LRMs recently, really not finding it leads to high scoring games for me, but then I'm not really a lurm guy so... grain of salt.

#6 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

So were you too scared to post this under your real name? Or are you actually new?

#7 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

lol wot? LRMs are bad and you should feel bad for making this thread.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hmm, is this a smurf account or a new player?

Also, I thought LRMs were terrible weapons. I am confused. Posted Image

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

If a reasonably high tier team in group queue is winning with LRMs that is the polar opposite of exploiting, it's actually one of the hardest weapon systems to beat other good players with.

Now if you are a new player who hasn't learned how to play against LRMs yet, then well it gets better. LRMs are not a very strong weapon system and LRMs are not a particularly strong strategy in group play.

They are less terrible since the dec1 patch though, but still pretty weak.

Edited by Sjorpha, 04 January 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#10 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Last night was ridiculous in the Pug queue in my games. So many damn LRM's that I switched to playing lights just to be able to escape them more easily.

#11 stocky0904

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

Maybe hes one of those "highly skilled" laservomiters Posted Image. ...and has problems to cope with LRMs, the weapon with the most counters in this game.

Maybe he fears that everybody laughs about him would he post under his real name.

If he is new he has to learn to avoid LRMs. We all had to.Posted Image

btw: I really like this easy/lazy mode blablablub... play LRMs as they should be played and you will see that it is much more difficult as to pull a trigger LOS with a 60 dmg alpha. you will almost never find me far behind the lines and getting killed by one or two lights. The best range for LRMs is 200-400m.

Edited by stocky0904, 04 January 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#12 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Dang it I guess you didn't receive memo about the new meta!

Before it was laser vomit. Now its laser vomit, lurms and clan streaks combo!

#13 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

Oh another I hate LURMS because I can't stand out in the open using my leet skills meme thread. rather than learn to duck

Next..

Edited by Cathy, 04 January 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#14 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

180 meters minimum range.

And then, you collect their tears and their blood.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 04 January 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

To counter 12 man LRM boat team: use 12 man Kitfox with ECM+3xAMS team.

Literally drown in their tears.

EDIT: for extra pain, use LRMs as your own weapon on the kitfoxes with the AMS and ECM so that your team is immune to LRM rain while raining LRMs.

Edited by Dakota1000, 04 January 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#16 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

Although I don't care about LRM boat teams, I will say this:

All guided missiles are in a special state in MWO where the players demand that they should be chronically underpowered. The second LRMs become a viable option, the forums are flooded with tears! People are saying "Guided missiles require no skill". And as someone who plays LRM boats quite regularly (I have Griffins, Catapults and Awesomes with absurd amounts of LRMs) I have to say:

They're right.

Well, it's a bit of an exaggeration. It requires some skill in terms of awareness and positioning. But you basically remove aiming skills from the equation. Anyone with a healthy body can get missile locks in MWO. And if you pay for Target Decay and Artemis, it's just absurdly easy.

Untill PGI actually makes it somewhat challenging to get missile locks, the cycle will continue. We will have periods of useless missiles and we will have periods of copious QQ on the forum. LRMs and Streaks will never be considered a respectable, admirable way of winning the game, untill PGI makes it harder to get missile locks. So you actually have to have aiming skills.

I'm not ashamed to say, I'll often get 1000 dmg matches in my AWS-8R, setting up in a good position and lazily lobbing LRMs while I'm eating a taco with my left hand. It's really not that hard, if you just know where to set up shop.

TL;DR - The QQ rivers will flow untill PGI makes it harder to get missile locks and uses aiming skills to balance LRMs and Streaks, instead of only positioning. Guided missiles are the only weapons in MWO where aiming skills are irrelevant, and that's why people are so hostile towards LRM boats.

#17 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostMystere, on 04 January 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Also, I thought LRMs were terrible weapons. I am confused. Posted Image

Bads will be bad...

#18 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 January 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

And if you pay for Target Decay and Artemis, it's just absurdly easy.

If you're paying for Artemis, you're doing it wrong.

Check your own stats. Mine say that Artemis results in 0.5% extra missiles hitting. If I somehow manage to fire 1000 missiles during a match, and extra 5 will hit.

Artemis is basically garbage added to a bad weapon.

#19 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

I mainly use a mad dog with 4 med pulse and 2 x lrm 20. When my scouts light you up I'm locking and firing. I don't care about anyone's feelings. Duck and cover if you need to.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Shh...quiet now, here we can find the wild PUG in his natural habitat...the middle of the map, completely devoid of cover, and dying to the worst second third worst weapon in the game.

View PostRoadkill, on 04 January 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

If you're paying for Artemis, you're doing it wrong.

Check your own stats. Mine say that Artemis results in 0.5% extra missiles hitting. If I somehow manage to fire 1000 missiles during a match, and extra 5 will hit.

Artemis is basically garbage added to a bad weapon.

Half lock time, add TAG for 25%. It makes a difference if you ever want to actually hit something without staring...of course, I'll just take a laser that actually damages things in the first place and be more effective.

Edited by Mcgral18, 04 January 2016 - 02:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users