Gameplay Social

57 replies to this topic

#1 Amary

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

I came across this post and was wondering if the general community agrees or believes differently.

This list doesn't belong to me and is quoted from another site, I am after the an unbias answer on the the units as it would be interesting to see what units are feared when there tag shows up on the opposite side of the board.

How the Ranking System is scaled:

F-Tier

Basically (Steam) Pugs. This is where most people are at when they play Mechwarrior for the first time ever. And it makes sense because this game is difficult to grasp as there is a lot of stuff to keep track of in an FPS-Mech Sim. This isn't to say that players are objectively bad at the game, it's just they haven't fully learned all the mechanics and intricacies.

D-Tier

Now if you are stuck here, then there might be problems. People in D-Tier can be of multiple types. There are Mechwarrior veterans that good in previous games but failed to accommodate Mechwarrior Online. There are people that refuse to understand the meta and aren't skilled enough to break it. Or the people simply don't care and have fun with the game. Regardless, D-Tier teams aren't that scary on the battlefield in any sense of the word and should be very easy to beat.

C-Tier

These are where the average players of the game stay at. Most of these players have a good grasp of the meta and off-meta styles but lack the sharp skill that the above tier players have. Not only that, but C-Tier teams play the game much slower and have worse overall map awareness. However, that doesn't mean you must disrespect these teams when you see them in Pug matches. Their still going to fry you silly if you give them an easy shot. As long as you play smarter and faster than they do, you should be fine.

B-Tier

Now this where the good teams start to show up. These teams have good coordination and map awareness where they can run over most teams with ease. Also, their individual skill is enough where a single B-tier player can semi-carry Public Matches with relative ease. Due to their above-average strength, this is a great breeding ground for up-and-coming talent to rise above their own average unit class. B-Tier is where most teams should strive for to be relevant in the overall game.

A-Tier

These monster teams are highly competitive in nature and seek only the best of the best. These players can easily carry a Public Match all on their own. Their sharpness in skill can destroy most Mechs in the most optimal way possible. These teams can play a variety of styles at near maximum levels, while also maintaining good map control and team movement. If you see one of these teams on the other side, you better get your try-hard pants on.

S-Tier

The scariest teams in the game reside in S-Tier. A single S-Tier team player has the ability to carry an entire Community Warfare Match. Think of these players as Greek Gods that annihilate everything in their path when they take the game seriously. Not only are these teams super aggressive, while living and breathing MWO, they also function as a singular Hive Mind like the Zerg. Their silence is only broken when yappy enemy players try to trash talk them, but are met with severe prejudicial pain. These teams are meant to look up to as well as worship.

POWER RANKINGS

D-Tier Units

-BP- (Blood Pearls): D-
Notable Players: Hampton, Vettie, Genghis Prawn. Smagaman

It hurts to put these guys in the lowest tier in the game, but every match against them has been met with extreme disappointment. Most of these guys are good buddies from the NBT-Sunder server in MW4:Mercs, and the they used to be really solid. But their transition into MWO has been tough for a lot of them. They mostly play this game for fun, which isn't a burn against them, but it does make them very weak as a whole.

DHB (Death's Hand Brigade): D
Notable Players: None

Back in Closed Beta, this was largest unit in the entire game. Shows how much has changed, right? These guys are nearly non-existent and are hardly a match for even green SWOL members. I haven't seen a single game where a DHB player has done relatively well. And that's disappointing because I used to be a part of them.

AWOL (Absent Without Leave) D+

All kidding aside, these guys are horrendously awful. I don't think there has been a single AWOL game where a player did anything substantial at all. And I see these guys decently often. These players lack focus. That's pretty much it. The only reason they nearly break C-Tier is because they actually the game.

C-Tier Units

HHoD (HeadHunters of Davion): C-
Notable Players: SInthrow, Alyward

We've met up with these guys a couple of times and they have definitely been on the lower echelon of "a good game". There's maybe three players in that entire unit that could be a semi-threat, but that is doubtful. For a loyalist unit, they do a poor job of team coordination and focusing targets down. They lack a significant amount of battle discipline and that's what holding them back. If their leadership structure improves, they could easily find themselves in C+ or even B-.

69MG (69th Mercenary Guild): C-

These guys are flat out not good. Not in any sense of the imagination. I played with them and it was just, ugh.[/color]

RRB (Robinson Ranger Brigade): C
Notable Players: LeakyWalnut

Remember the legendary Hellebore Springs game? That was RRB we fought on that map. These guys are fairly decent actually. Some of their players are pretty good shots and can give us decent fights sometimes. However, their skill levels are all over the place. RjBass is no slouch though. If you see him, give your well deserved respect.

2DG (Twelfth Dongeal Guards: C

I have no idea where to put these guys. So I put them at C rank because our matches with them are decent-ish but lack individual talent.

TCAF (Tikonov Commonality Armed Forces): C

Everyone I've talked to says that TCAF is really good. I disagree with them 100%. I've never seen a game where TCAF has shown any sort of real talent in teamwork or individual players. Honestly, their probably the most average unit in this entire game. Think of TCAF as Denny's. All you have to do is order a Grand Slam right into the Victory Screen.

1FWG (?): C

The Marik verison of TCAF. These guys are pretty active as I see them all over the place in Solo Queue. However, their performance is pretty average overall.

-AW- (Aces Wild): C
Notable players: None

We played them in MRBC and I was not impressed. Their individual talent is pretty average but their battle coordination is severely lacking. However, if you see a singular -AW- guy in a pug match, I'd watch out.

BWC (Black Widow Company): C+
Notable players: None

I see these guys quite often all over the place. Individual talent is around average but their leadership is quite good. They know how to coordinate their members well and getting into decent firing positions. But their lack of raw skill keep them down in C+.

CWI (Clan Wolf International): C+[
Notable players: Executor

SWOL's ginger cousin. These guys are solid, but I haven't really felt the individual talent from them to put them higher on the list. Leadership is good though.

B-Tier Units

SWOL (Star Wolves): B-

This is with all members accounted for. SWOL's massive unit size pushes us down much lower than what we could be. But that's fine, because our motto is to train people up and get people in drops and stuff. Because of our wide skill range, it's extremely tough for the entire community to place us in a spot for relative battle strength. What we lack in entirety is aggressiveness. Even though we know how to nail our targets, we're too passive at times and fail to push advantages when they open up. And those slight errors are the main reason why we lose to the better teams on this list. However, the senior members in SWOL are surprisingly really good at the game and can easily go toe to toe with even S-Tier teams/players.

SRoT (Skye Rangers of Terra): B-

The Steiner Loyalist version of SWOL. They literally have the exact same problems we do except their ceiling skill talent is much lower than ours. Our games with SRoT have generally been pretty good, but we are typically on the winning end of them.

-PL- (Praetorian Legion): B

These guys are pretty good. So far I've seen us go 50/50 with them on multiple occasions and scenarios. Not much else to say other than the fact that I haven't seen them around too much at the time of writing this.

DERP (DERP): B+
Notable Players: oOHoldFireOo

A solid group of guys. My games against them always have been fun. Nothing about that is especially striking other than the fact that they are decent in all categories a team can place in.

-MS- (Merc Star): B+
Notable Players: UnleashThePwniez, Antonius Rex

Tony over there is going to be pissed when he finds out I put him this low on the list. It feels like they did a bunch of recruiting recently so their overall strength has gotten weaker as of late. Usually seeing -MS- on the other team meant instant death, but now they have fallen way far from grace. Or maybe SWOL got better as of late. Who knows. They are also a pretty big unit just like us, so it's tough to put a finger where they stand as a whole. Maybe if you put only their Senior Members in a company they could be higher, but I don't know who those players are.

-SO- (Son's of Odin): B+

I played with these guys on the Rasalhague Teamspeak Server and they are a solid bunch of guys. They have great team cohesion and aggression and are a pleasure to work with.

A-Tier Units

DSx (Clan Diamond Shark): A-
These guys tend to drop together in both Group queue and CW Drops. And in both scenarios they are hard as diamonds (hahaha) to take down.

228 (228th As a whole): A-

These guys also used to be extremely good but they have also fallen a little bit. That doesn't mean squat to 80% of the MWO population because these guys are razor tough to fight against. I might have to do more scouting to figure out where these guys actually stand.

SWOL (Star Wolves - Omega Wolves Only): A
Notable Players: CentsOfFate, ExplosiveChild, ChoboNoob, KingUber, Blueduck

Now if you only consider our Omega Wolves players, I would put us at A-Tier. Literally all of our top players can easily hit 2k damage every CW Drop, usually approach 3k and one certain somebody, if the conditions are right, can hit 4k. All of our piloting, targeting and killing are really sharp and can easily carry Public Matches. The only thing holding us back is that we don't run as Senior Group all that often. If we dropped together more often, we would give most of these teams a run for their money.

-NS- (Night's Scorn) A
Notable Players: None[

Damn these guys are good. That's all I have to say because that's all that needs to be said. Read the above A-Tier definition and these guys show that through and through.[
-BO- (?): A
Notable Players: None[

These guys are probably higher on the ranking system, but I haven't played with them enough to get a good read on them. The games we have played against them have been utter annihilation....against us.

MJ12 (Majestic 12): A+
Notable Players: DJPush, Voltron, Faernix

Majestic 12 is probably my favorite unit in the entire game. This small bunch play really tight and running with them is a huge treat. All of their players are real hotshots in their own right too.

BMMU (Battle Magic Mercenary Unit) A+
Notable Players: BattleBunny

One of the most active units in the game, SWOL has gotten smashed by these guys over and over and over again. These guys are heavily aggressive as their style of play. The only thing keeping them back from S-Tier is that they have only a couple godlike players in their roster. If they collected other really strong players, they could easily spar for one of the best units in the game.

ISEN (Isengrim): A+

One of the smallest groups in the game, but all of their players are hardcore to the brim of a peaky blinder hat.

S-Tier Units

SJR (Clan Steel Jaguar): S-
Notable Players: Gman

The Classic Elite Unit in Mechwarrior Online. Most known for the famous MetaMechs.com website that keeps up on all the meta. One of the requirements for this unit is that you must have at least a 2.0 KDA in Solo/Group queue to join in and play this game along with scrims quite often. Because of these requirements, all of these players have this game down to a literal science.[

KCOM (Kell's Commandos): S
In the recent Tukayyid Part 2 CW Tournament, these guys had the highest win rate of something like 98.7%. These guys are mad good. Their coordination and aggressiveness is through the roof.

EmP (Empyreal): S
Notable Players: Prtnspz

If you see anybody with an EmP tag, stay FAR FAR away.

228 (228th Independent Battlemech Regiment): S

Their top players in their unit are listed as IBR. Imagine hairy burly men with lightning hammers and gargantuan shields.

Lord (?)S+
Notable Players: psichih0lic, wuckTEC

By far the best unit in the entire game with the best players. Any players on that list are in the top 10 in anybody's list. These guys are so insanely good it's staggering.

Edited by Amary, 04 January 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

So I noticed you left OLD of your list - we consistently have one of the highest win %'s in FRR when we gather.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

This list as serious as SWOL.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

its a good reference for the different units out there

but the rankings are completely wrong. a couple of the higher ranked units on this are in actuality barely better than pugs lol.

#5 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

I'd like to see an ACTUAL ranking system like they had in the mechwarrior sourcebooks.

Not one made by SWOL

View Postsycocys, on 04 January 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

So I noticed you left OLD of your list - we consistently have one of the highest win %'s in FRR when we gather.

the list was made by SWOL. You can tell since theyre mentioned like 6 times

#6 Amary

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

Like I said this is not created by me and yes it was made by SWOL, I am interested in what other believe as IMO this is highly bias for SWOL themselves. If you are not on here what do you believe you rank and explain.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 January 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

This list as serious as SWOL.

My best estimate is that SWOL has around 6 really great players, 18 fairly above average and whatever the rest 300 or so mundane level pilots. Didn't even notice that he ranked his own unit so high considering the way he talked down about other units that can only field 1 or 2 solid teams at the most.

#8 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Posted Image

Sorry couldn't resist

Edited by FirestormClone218, 04 January 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

View Postsycocys, on 04 January 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

My best estimate is that SWOL has around 6 really great players, 18 fairly above average and whatever the rest 300 or so mundane level pilots. Didn't even notice that he ranked his own unit so high considering the way he talked down about other units that can only field 1 or 2 solid teams at the most.

Well, we're waiting for their batchall to commence.

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 January 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Well, we're waiting for their batchall to commence.

I'm sure it will be enlightening.

#11 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

How can you even have the audacity to rank units when you list only 1 notable player from teams like SJR & EmP, and no one from 228th?

These unit's entire A teams are basically nothing but notable players.

Do they even play this game outside of CW?

This is like ranking what you think is the best food in the world, but you were born and raised inside a Denny's and never left.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 04 January 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostAmary, on 04 January 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

ISEN (Isengrim): A+

One of the smallest groups in the game, but all of their players are hardcore to the brim of a peaky blinder hat.

This is a lie.

Source: I'm with Isengrim. I'm about as hardcore as this guy.

Posted Image

#13 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

I, for one, am greatly impressed.

I did not think it was possible to type with your own e-peen in your mouth.

#14 Amary

• Pip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 04 January 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

How can you even have the audacity to rank units when you list only 1 notable player from teams like SJR & EmP, and no one from 228th?

These unit's entire A teams are basically nothing but notable players.

Please note as some one has already stated this is a post from SWOL and not mine I am after other views as I believe it is incorrect and bias.

#15 Depressing-Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNew Tasmania, Kikuyu

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

What Hotthedd said.

#16 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

FYI, you can easily refer to this for CW Unit's performance stats. There's a rank, avg match score and W/L rate for you to reference.

The SWOL list is just a **** post :)

#17 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

Some of the big units are hard to rank as they have a wide range of varying players from high-grade comp players to casual pug warriors. 228, -MS-, AS, etc. are a few examples. Even my unit (-42-) has a pretty wide spread of skill levels between our players.

Take 228 for example - if you just take their Black Watch players, they'd be right up there amongst the cream of the crop. However, if you go off an average of all its members, they'd be fairly middle of the road.

#18 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 January 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

This is a lie.

Source: I'm with Isengrim. I'm about as hardcore as this guy.

Posted Image

You also almost never play with the rest of us. =P

(come play with usss!!!!!! Posted Image)

View PostOnimusha shin, on 04 January 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

FYI, you can easily refer to this for CW Unit's performance stats. There's a rank, avg match score and W/L rate for you to reference.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 04 January 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#19 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostTarogato, on 04 January 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

You also almost never play with the rest of us. =P

(come play with usss!!!!!! Posted Image)

Well, when are you guys going to start taking Norwegian prime time into consideration? C'mon now.

Anyway, someone has to represent ISEN in the Pug queue.

#20 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

Also, you can check the MRBC ladder at mrbcleague.com to get a vague idea of where various units stand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users