Pug Outreach

16 replies to this topic

#1 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

So was gone for 3 or 4 months and came back. Played a bunch of CW, pugging and in groups.

First, due props on the team drops. They were all solid, well called and coordinated, good strats and people brought good builds and followed orders.

We really need to work on our pugs. I know it's a struggle but it's hurting us overall. One thing I have seen that worked well was teams of 8 or so that were calling the drop in the games voip or chat to help the pugs wrap into the team strategy. This teaches them how to play in a dropped call. We've got a lot of pugs and some will never put in the effort to get good but we need to raise the average.

Not about recruiting people to units or anything but helping teach the pug population basic strategies and how to play in a called drop.

It's not the perfect fix but it's a start and we need to do something. The inability of out pug teams to put up even a moderate defense makes it nearly impossible for us to hold on to our gains. Obviously there is a lot involved but we've let our big population turn into a disadvantage. You can't make people come to Davion TS or join units but we still need to raise the average performance on our non-affiliated faction members.

#2 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

Agreed, most unaffiliated players we drop with are generally pretty open to our overall direction and a lot of the regular folks slot in flawlessly once they've started winning with us often.

Hug a Pug, you may be surprised.

#3 Lujke85

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

couple of observations...

moving around from faction to faction, it seems like Davion suffers the most from 12 man puggers... when dropping in Marik and Kurita, (Liao even), there's a fair number of partial groups who were happy to help guide puggers and smaller groups along. Davion seems to either go 12 man or not at all.

For the betterment of the faction, would the big boys want to split up and go on a pug education tour?

#4 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

View PostDevlinCognito, on 05 January 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hug a Pug, you may be surprised.

Ermmm........ wait until i've had a few single malts ;)

The idea of having "short" companies going out and providing a more solid core for the solo droppers is a good one.

#5 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

It would be nice. Seraphim keeps trying to train your pugs during the match but they won't listen to us.

#6 pudding man

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

For the new players a number of training units have been set up to help new player that want to try CW - the main goal is to help new player learn tactics and get help putting together a competitive drop deck- for more information Check out the reserve training unit RSRV on the Forums lead by Mercier. The RSRV are presently in Steiner but will be switching to new faction every few weeks. They are a Very helpful and fun group

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Just strikes me as a good idea. Would certainly benefit the faction. In the long run the goal is to make Davion a fun place to pug - that pugging for Davion will give you good drops and have fun. Best way to do that is to try to drop units with pugs and communicate with them in the match.

Biggest thing really is to just be cool about it I think. Show > tell. If they have a bad deck just show them what a good deck looks like instead of pointing out that their LBX/flamer build is a steaming pile of ****. Again, goal is to just make sure the pugs have fun and see the benefits of being part of a called drop vs playing in CW like it's just another pug game mode.

#8 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

It is a great idea, people really do learn from it-provided they have the will to listen.

#9 Kenneth Kell

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

Sounds Awesome and i have no problem following orders i prefer Organized play even in quick matches it's just more fun to me.

Edited by BloodMagik, 07 January 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#10 Whiskiz

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSTRAYA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:36 AM

As a random PUG myself having just come back to MWO and relatively new even then (only played a month or so) let me tell you that some teamplay and teaching in PUG would be greatly appreciated by some.

Itd basically be team play for the PUGS that dont know about units or who to go with where or when, or how 99% of the CW even works, but that would like a little more coordinated, competitive play still.

Thats the position im in anyway.

Step - 1 come here to faction forums to decide which faction to join i guess Posted Image

Edited by WhiskizIronscrotum, 12 January 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#11 Jerry Beard

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

Well can say this ..The 502nd will drop with anyone. Pugs/no pugs. We are always willing to help folks learn the game. Our unit days are Weds and Sun. So if you know pugs looking to learn send them our way. They never need to join the unit but are always free to drop with us...

#12 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Some PUGS will not listen for various reasons. Some may have the volume off, don't understand your language, not read or not understand what you're telling them. Online games have considerable jargon that you will find pretty much only in THAT GAME. I someone is like OMEGA!!! Well what the hell does that mean for the PUG? Better yet, what does he/she look for? I come from the military which has an unhealthy amount of abbreviations and jargon so I need to break things down into quick, simple terms so anyone can understand my meaning.

If you get PUGS that consistently DO NOT give a duck, then to hell with them. Tell them why you need them. Ex. We were on a counterattack with four PUGS and one of them CONSISTENTLY decided to go away from us. We were attacking and he was in a King Crab. We told him time and time again hey, we need you with us because xyz. He came with us three times after we told caught him trying to make a break for it alone. He went with us when we asked him but didn't say anything back. The fourth wave we just let him go on his own and died almost immediately once contact was made, without any gains. My ranting story is done. Do you have one of yours?

#13 A Bag Full of Puppies

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

Brought up in other threads elsewhere but would be really nice if VOIP was active before the match starts... would make that 10-15 minute so much more effective for explaining/discussing. Even if the map is not yet known, you could go into general details w/ the pugs...

Would also love a secondary lance-level channel on voip.

#14 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

View PostA Bag Full of Puppies, on 17 January 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Brought up in other threads elsewhere but would be really nice if VOIP was active before the match starts... would make that 10-15 minute so much more effective for explaining/discussing. Even if the map is not yet known, you could go into general details w/ the pugs...

Would also love a secondary lance-level channel on voip.

voice spamming will get you muted ;) i prefer short combat chat and no philosophy online

#15 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

View Postmultisoul, on 17 January 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

voice spamming will get you muted Posted Image i prefer short combat chat and no philosophy online

No philosophy online, I love it.

#16 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostAlec Braca, on 19 January 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

No philosophy online, I love it.

Posted Image

#17 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

DAVION PUGS, OUR LOYALIST UNITS NEED YOU!

Posted Image

TOG is a 25yrs+ gaming community based in the oceanic region. Our community has been active in MWO since the games inception and has seen some steady growth since then. Following the steam launch and recent improvements to the game our numbers have been bolstered to the extent we are now currently fielding at least a group of 12 each night.

So what is the go?

Well we welcome a range of players from competitive background to more casual players that prefer PUG matches. We offer players the freedom to play as they want while providing offerings for group play, solo drops and CW.

Recently we have been very active in group drops in preparation for the Battle Of Midway tournament and Season 7 of the MRBC. We are also eagerly awaiting the launch of CW phase 3 so we can focus more on achieving tangible outcomes in CW during and in-between competitions.

Tempted?

Head over to The Barracks to sign up as a TOG member and access all the benefits - you are not just joining the MWO community but our global community that extends over some of the most popular games out there from WOW to EVE, Starcraft, Battlefield, COD and many many more!

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 04 February 2016 - 03:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users