14 replies to this topic

#1 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

After last nights stompings, please start bringing more AMS/ECM to matches. I seemed to be the only one with AMS that I saw (using alt Clan account).

An IS "Rainbow" team brought a lot of missiles and hammered us on Boreal.

Drop decks seemed to be half Assault LRM/ECM lights and the other half laser brawlers/spotters. Any attempt to engage the brawlers resulted in 500+ incoming missiles until dead.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

Right? Someone in one of my drops was complaining about how there was no counter to LRMs and that they were a cheap weapon to use.

While I don't really use LRMs, I have AMS on every mech I can stuff it on. And come on: Radar Derp, AMS, ECM, ...COVER? There's plenty of counters to LRMs, it just so happens that "standing in the open, sobbing" isn't one of them.

#3 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

The one problem with AMS is it does give away your position when you have it on, even in cases where you wouldn't be hit by the missiles. So if you do bring it, you should have and know the keybind to toggle it off. Personally my answer for LRMS is usually ECM, Radar Deprivation, and cover, but AMS can help not only you but your buddies as well.

One of my goals at one time was to be able to pop in an ECM mech for any weight class. Eventually I will have that together in the event we anticipate the need. ECM/radar dep aren't just for LRMs, just as targeting isn't either. The former deprives the enemy of information about your location just as the latter provides it to your team. Information is ammunition!

#4 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

LRM's are noob simple to counter and it all starts with communication when forming a drop. AMS on everything and at least 1 ECM per lance if possible. Not to mention natural cover provided on maps

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Not at Computer so can't verify but:
Atlas, 'Phract, Spider and cicada or griffin for and all-ecm drop deck... I think with the right mechs it hits 265 tons on the nose...

Note that the Atlas and Griffin are both LRM capable as welll. I would always advise only bringing lrms when you know there will be spotters.

The atlas is intriguing since it can be an lrm45 pretty easily meaning it could hold back for one wave and lurms opponents and then tank lots of damage as it runs out and moves to the front line.

Edited by MovinTarget, 05 January 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#6 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

I get targeted by LRM's like everyone else but take very little damage from them. I don't put AMS on my mechs either. And I don't have many mechs with ECM. ECM is great but lots of the mechs I like to play don't have it.

I use radar deprivation modules on nearly every mech and plan all my moves around cover. If I could hide behind either a low building or a high one, I choose the high one, because it will block missles in addition to line of sight. When I move into a firing position I have already planned how to get out and under cover fast. I often point my legs toward the nearest cover and may even back out to fire from a lateral cover and move forward to hid again. It is better to jump down from a position and take a little leg damage than to sit there and get pounded by LRM's. I try to avoid open ground unless I have ecm or a mech with ecm to follow. If you learn to use the terrain and cover well, enemy LRM's will still be an irritation, but they won't be much more than that. Instead of buying your next mech maybe you should invest in the radar deprivation module and make your current mechs much better. That module plus using cover will make a big difference in your LRM defense.

#7 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

I need a gif of "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a lurm!!!"

Edited by Ironically Ironclad Irony, 05 January 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#8 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 05 January 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

Not at Computer so can't verify but:
Atlas, 'Phract, Spider and cicada or griffin for and all-ecm drop deck... I think with the right mechs it hits 265 tons on the nose...

Note that the Atlas and Griffin are both LRM capable as welll. I would always advise only bringing lrms when you know there will be spotters.

The atlas is intriguing since it can be an lrm45 pretty easily meaning it could hold back for one wave and lurms opponents and then tank lots of damage as it runs out and moves to the front line.

As7-ddc 100 tons
Ctf-oxp 70 tons
Grf-2n 55 tons
Raven 3l 35 tons
Puts you at 260 tons

#9 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

View Postmikerso, on 05 January 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

As7-ddc 100 tons
Ctf-oxp 70 tons
Grf-2n 55 tons
Raven 3l 35 tons
Puts you at 260 tons

Ah that's right so swap the raven out for a cicada for max tonnage...

#10 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

Also if tonnage limits are the same when tempest is released.

Ddc 100 tons
Tempest 70 tons
Ctf-oxp 70 tons
Pirates bane 25 tons

Comes to 265

View PostMovinTarget, on 05 January 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Ah that's right so swap the raven out for a cicada for max tonnage...

Not sure if the cicada is an upgrade though. You can put 2 large pulse in a cicada, but I feel like the 3m is a glass cannon.

#11 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

3m with 2 ERLL and 2 ML is still a dang fine mech

#12 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 05 January 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

3m with 2 ERLL and 2 ML is still a dang fine mech

I'll give it a run as soon as I can earn the c-bills to buy it again.

#13 Tronword Furey

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostLowridah, on 05 January 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

LRM's are noob simple to counter and it all starts with communication when forming a drop. AMS on everything and at least 1 ECM per lance if possible. Not to mention natural cover provided on maps

Clearly, the game the complainers wish to play is not MW: Online, I believe it is some type of hugbox where the reality of missiles do not exist.

#14 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

So much fear over a weapon people claim are bad. Let's change our loadouts into inefficient Mechs so the big bad lrms don't get us.

#15 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostIronically Ironclad Irony, on 05 January 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

I need a gif of "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a lurm!!!"

If you can dodge a grandma with a walker you can dodge an LRM. It takes a pretty serious kind of special to die to LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users