67 replies to this topic

#61 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 11 January 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

New players HAVE NO BUSINESS IN CW!

Sure they do. I had two matches yesterday with almost all new players. We had a blast. Both drops were down to the wire 48-46 type matches. And yes, many many stupid things were done, but we had fun.

#62 PigsinBlankets

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

I'll preface this with acknowledging that I have not yet played CW having only taken up MWO in the last month, although I have been playing tabletop since 1986 or so after I first read Decision at Thunder Rift and have been playing Battletech Computer games since The Crescent Hawks Inception and the original Mechwarrior, played I think on an Amstrad 1640 PC with 5.25inch floppy drives.

That said, Why not link rewards to the relative PSR of the Players - or to number of games played, or an algorithm incorporating these stats, K/D Ratio and accuracy with weapons employed etc.
After all the Kell Hounds or the Fifth Syrtis Fusiliers would expect a smaller reward for going up against a local militia unit than they would for taking on the Genyosha or the Fifth Sword of Light. This is the sort of comparison we are talking about isn't it? Organised well equipped and led units against whoever could be drafted in to defend or assault?
Of course this could be arbed by a few experienced Players on the Team fighting on ALTS but that could be monitorable to a degree by PGI

#63 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

An interesting idea, Asrael, but without the ability to select your opponents, it would probably just feel randomly punishing to organized teams. Honestly, the effect which 4v4 (in CW3; we're in CW2) should have of bleeding some of the more casual players out of 12-man drops will likely have some ameliorating effect on how punishing CW is to solo players.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 11 January 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

And the same thread in different itterations pops up again and again and again. What do those ppl want ? Are they realy that resistant to learning or understanding ?

What they want is easy - validation. It's the same thing that the Islanders wanted when they mounted a disinformation campaign on the Steam forums days before the game was even released there. They've selected different starting points for their logic (not good ones; mostly they're using opinions formed in the past as axioms, but I digress,) so they're not going to get to the same destinations as other people. Thus, the same small group of people start the same disingenuous nonsense over and over again, trying by hook or by crook to convince enough people to agree with them so that they can feel like they're the majority - like the idiot I saw the other day who quoted from the Transverse press release under the title "Clans dead in the water," or somesuch. Don't expect them to respond to logical rebuttal; they can't, not because their thinking is irrational, but because they are extremely rational - like a psychotic sufferer whose ability to perceive reality has been crippled.

#64 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 12 January 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

Sure they do. I had two matches yesterday with almost all new players. We had a blast. Both drops were down to the wire 48-46 type matches. And yes, many many stupid things were done, but we had fun.

Bottom line, you can't keep new players out right now. Maybe they should be gated out, maybe not. Not my game to decide that with; not my livelihood on the line if I screw that up, anyhow.

So, one really GOOD thing that can come about of new players in CW? They sometimes get matched up with large groups of experienced players, and that can be a VERY cool/rewarding experience. I like dropping with my [QQ] teammates in 8-10 player groups, and picking up a couple of solo players. Sometimes, we get a player we know from elsewhere (even THIS forum), sometimes we get a brand-new, never-dropped-at-all-before player. In that latter case, we get to talk someone through the whole thing, and HELP him/her contribute right away. THAT is awesome!

Now, tossing twelve of them together and throwing them at anything even vaguely resembling an organized team? That's just f-ing sadistic...

#65 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

By the way.

There is one point that was pretty much ignored: "making more money in CW"

That one is really false. Unless you did really well, you usually end up making less money by playing CW than if you actually played regular matches for the same time period.

#66 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:46 AM

I've played with a lot of new players in CW. I know my unit has brought some new people in as well. People play CW because they enjoy the challenge of the gamemode. If you want matches where you're guaranteed a 50/50 win rate no matter how good or bad you play you already have pug and group queues to play in. That's great, that's what they're there for.

As has been argued at length elsewhere Community Warfare is about factions fighting over planets. The faction with the best people and best units who drop the most often, or even just the most total players in some situations are going to win. I know Davion often repositions units and drops when we've got 3 active fronts, sacrificing one to win on another front. That's part of the strategy of CW.

Pugging in an alt in CJF I have over a 90% win rate. Pugging. That's because CJF has a lot of good players and good units in it. Pugging in Davion I'm happy to have over 50% win rate. Dropping with a unit in Davion it's uncommon to have a 90% win rate unless it's a solid team with a solid drop caller.

YMMV. CW is hard and challenging. It's not intended to hand you good odds no matter how good or how bad you are. There is no matchmaker nor should there be. If you don't want to play in the deep end with the gloves off...

don't go into CW. Nobody wants someone there who doesn't want to be there. There's no obligation to play CW. The only 'benefit' to playing CW is playing in a big faction vs faction war and helping your faction win against other factions. That's the only real reward you can't get in pug/group queue. If you don't want play without a matchmaker, going into the deep end to swim where sharks hunt.... stay in group queue or pug queue.

Why is there this need to destroy CW so it's just like pug/group queue? you already have pug/group queues. Lets push to have the CW maps/modes available in pug/group queues so everyone can play them with the protection of a matchmaker and split queues. That's great, no problem with that, all for it.

If however the idea that CW is there as a no holds barred environment somehow offends or upsets you that's a personal problem. You don't like it, don't play it. Don't click on the tab for it, don't make a deck, don't drop in it. Or has it started sneakily dropping you in CW? Did secret PGI ninjas come to your house and force you to play CW?

#67 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

I missed some of the last posts but 1 one this game fatal flaw, (not big which makes it even more irritating) is the stats junkies. Some farm for Stats. Some dont play CW anymore for stats, gratuitous defeats and deaths. The game is heavy enough without these things on peoples minds. MWO is losing 300 players a week in steam.
Some guy was looking at a 0.01 K/d rate asking if he should give up, is this what PGI wants?
Not showing who is on the other side of a CW, 5 - 10 minutes waiting as a formed team, having to wait after you die, because you can't leave if the game doesnt end. I love MWO, Ill say it again, but there are so many things that DRIVE PPL AWAY.

And your mechs STILL dropping or staying there when you disconect is just the freaking cherry. Iam sure there are reasons but I repeat, you are driving players away. In the end it will be like CS source, only boring ppl to play with will remain.

#68 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostShinRazor, on 14 January 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

Some guy was looking at a 0.01 K/d rate asking if he should give up, is this what PGI wants?

NO. I'm pretty sure PGI would want that player to play the game on a better computer with a stable internet connection, getting something more than 10 FPS.

You DID actually READ that thread, right? Oh. No, you apparently didn't. My bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users