66 replies to this topic

#1 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

This was a post by Russ
(This is obviously the number one question.

I absolutely feel I can answer with 100% confidence that the development of a second game will no impact MWO in any way. Now let's remember saying it will not impact MWO development is not the same thing as saying zero resources will be shared or swapped.
For instance it might be the case that were completely finished developing an Installer and build process for MWO just as an example, if the resource who develops those aspects for MWO moves over to develop those items for our second project, it doesn't impact MWO development in any way. There are other examples that would be valid as well, at this point MWO is a mature product and even though we still have lots of work to do, its not the same type of work we have been doing these first three years.
MWO development is dependent only on it's own viability as a product and nothing else. As long as you the customer are supporting its development we will continue to develop it.
Since I will have more opportunities to answer this question I will leave this question with that much information and move on.)
======================================================================
MWO is a good mech game but for the 100 thousand plus+++ MechWarrior pilots MWO was going to be a revival of the beloved PC MechWarrior games MechWarrior2-MechWarrior4 Mercenaries.

Plus all the TT and BattleTech Fans enjoyed the thought of fun tactical gameplay as the plans were laid out for MWO just before the start of Closed beta.

Soon it was apparent Russ and PGI were off track making a mech game that more resembled World of tanks or COD with mech skins. At that time over 500,000 old players and fans started to drift away from the IP and funding started to diminish.

Of course Russ-Brian and PGI bankrolled 5 million dollars to use as they wished I hate to call MWO a scam but in a lot of ways it is. Why? because promises were made to people who paid into MWO and a minimal viable product was delivered.

Which MWO and Free 2 play games are not illegal in Canada and parts of the world it is always buyers beware.

MWO in my estimation had Russ and Brian listened to there players and fans and made a more MechWarrior5 type game using the best of TT/BattleTech and the Past PC Mechwarrior2-4 games it would have been a game of the year.

But no the social aspects 20 +Game modes and multiplayer league aspect plus Co-op and PVE and 70% of how the older games were played was swept under the rug and discarded in favor of a terrible WOT+COD FPS in mech skins that tries to be a E-Sport Moba and it fails hard at everything.

Many say well well this was the only way to remake the IP and I personally say BS to those that think MWO Is a great game nd could only be made the way it was. It is on par with Hawken which has the same core problems and many Free to Play and Pay games that only wish to bilk millions of dollars out of devoted IP fans and players.

So now MWO'S future development is being pushed back on the fans and players that are left and no input as to how it is developed is being taken by PGI for those that are left to decide its fate.

Now I understand as a player and a fan how IGP felt when they became the scape goat for PGI blunders and mistakes and was blamed and thrown under the bus

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 07 January 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#2 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:13 AM

Where did he ask is MWO out of gas?

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

No, I'm still here.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

Sooooo...OP you don't like the game, and feel ripped off after a year of playing a F2P game. That about it?
No worries, if I get the gist of your post the new Battletech game being created now by harebrained sounds like what you are looking for: https://www.kickstar...ined/battletech

But as you say buyers beware.

#5 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

When did he post it? When Transverse was announced? Or recently, which would mean that they are working on a second project.

#6 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 07 January 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

Now I understand as a player and a fan how IGP felt when they became the scape goat for PGI blunders and mistakes and was blamed and thrown under the bus

Then you REALLY misunderstood the entire situation

You're also using statements and examples from ancient history.

#7 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

What the hell is this whole thread about?

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 07 January 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

When did he post it? When Transverse was announced? Or recently, which would mean that they are working on a second project.

That Russ Bullock's post from the OP was posted on September 8, 2014.

#9 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

MWO's not out of gas, though it is running low on fuel since.... like.... always. Development was always slow.

PGIs doing it's job with keeping MWO alive and by now, I'm fine with it. I don't expect MWO to get better. If it does: nice, but my expectations are throttled.

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Mech warrior still has a lot of places to go. After cw I foresee pvc and single player. If they added in player modding/map making this game would be crazy.

#11 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 January 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Sooooo...OP you don't like the game, and feel ripped off after a year of playing a F2P game. That about it?
No worries, if I get the gist of your post the new Battletech game being created now by harebrained sounds like what you are looking for: https://www.kickstar...ined/battletech

LOL at that bull squat game, really, IF i want turn based, id just unpack about 150 PUONDS of old TT mini's and play,
secondly, "developers of shadowrun"?? OMG tho ******* fkd it up so much its just another garbage game(so says someone who's been a "Runner" since the game originaly came out, RPG/TT game) and i refuse to waste anymore time on even disparaging it, as its such junk no words can put it in context.

AND, compairing this to hawken? 'apples and oranges' theres no comparing a run n gun type FPS to MWO (and yes i'm one of the original HAWKEN players, and i still play it, they are completely diff games as HAWKEN is based off the unreal engine)

so no, that 'other' b-tech game can just sit n rot, it is NOT an option, nor competition for MWO

#12 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Sure, MWO isn't the MechWarrior game I wanted, but I have been enjoying it for a few years now and I don't see why that should change any time soon.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostYakkSlapper, on 07 January 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

LOL at that bull squat game, really, IF i want turn based, id just unpack about 150 PUONDS of old TT mini's and play,
secondly, "developers of shadowrun"?? OMG tho ******* fkd it up so much its just another garbage game(so says someone who's been a "Runner" since the game originaly came out, RPG/TT game) and i refuse to waste anymore time on even disparaging it, as its such junk no words can put it in context.

AND, compairing this to hawken? 'apples and oranges' theres no comparing a run n gun type FPS to MWO (and yes i'm one of the original HAWKEN players, and i still play it, they are completely diff games as HAWKEN is based off the unreal engine)

so no, that 'other' b-tech game can just sit n rot, it is NOT an option, nor competition for MWO

Dude, that the proposed Battletech game is nothing like MWO was sort of the point of my response.
The OP thread seemed a wee bit nonsensical, so I was suggesting a game that met his one implied criteria in that he compared the current game of MWO to TT and suggested that there was some sort of promise by Russ et al that MWO would be similar somehow. The proposed turn based Battletech game will inevitably be closer to TT than the FPS game we currently are playing.

#14 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostYakkSlapper, on 07 January 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

You do know the developer of shadowrun is jordan weisman right?

Jordan weisman created battletech.

Also, bullsquat? how old are you? Curse like a real man. **** **** ****** ****.

Edited by pbiggz, 07 January 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#15 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

*sigh*

Posted Image

#16 AbyssalTyrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

What a garbage tier opinion , the HBS shadowrun games were fantastic and loved by almost everyone. Hell its the only reason the even got far enough to do the Battletech kickstarter. It introduced thousands of new players to the fantastic setting. This is a pathetic attempt at trolling .

#17 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Strange I've had dozens of friends join this game.
And these are hardcore COD people.
Those that get the learning curve tell me wow this game is good and hard.
They called it a real challenge.
I foresee a time soon that people will want a more of a challenge to their skill.
Not just some point and click shooter.
This game requires not only shooting skill but picking up the tactical nuances also.
If PGI would get a clue and add Aero-fighters and tanks to the game.
I can see Firestarters running like hell from a pack of hover tanks.
Or dive bombing a slow arsed Dire Wolf.
"Awww hell - honey I need that credit card back you took."
Get them in the game PGI seriously.
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 07 January 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#18 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

No worries, if I get the gist of your post the new Battletech game being created now by harebrained sounds like what you are looking for: [color="#b27204"]https://www.kickstar...ined/battletech[/color]

==============================================================================================
This game ( [color="#b27204"]https://www.kickstar...ined/battletech[/color])is owned by PGI/IGP and is under the same group of LLC'S and PGI is working on multiple other games.
===============================================================================================
AND, comparing this to hawken? 'apples and oranges' there's no comparing a run n gun type FPS to MWO (and yes i'm one of the original HAWKEN players, and i still play it, they are completely diff games as HAWKEN is based off the unreal engine)
=========================================================================================
I was not comparing the games as I also have played Hawken and MWO since day 1 but was only stating they both share the same core game mistakes asthey were being developed.
===================================================================================================
Mech warrior still has a lot of places to go. After cw I foresee pvc and single player. If they added in player modding/map making this game would be crazy.
==========================================================================================
Sorry Monkey I don't think MWO will be available to be modded like MechWarriro4 was with MekTek.
===========================================================================================
The OP thread seemed a wee bit nonsensical, so I was suggesting a game that met his one implied criteria in that he compared the current game of MWO to TT and suggested that there was some sort of promise by Russ et al that MWO would be similar somehow. The proposed turn based Battletech game will inevitably be closer to TT than the FPS game we currently are playing.
==========================================================================================
MWO was going to be a combo of TT the tactical aspects/ BattleTech the lore/Social aspects and PC MechWarrior2-4 the stompy fun mech face smashing game is it any of the 3?

NO MWO has very little of the 3 IP'S greatness it was all discarded at the beginning of closed beta.

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 07 January 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#19 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

I don't ever pretend im happy with MWO, but if you want to wear the black knight's armor, you best polish that **** to a shine before you do. So many people come out here bitching about things that they either made up or bitching about things that they want nerfed because it killed them in game once. (PS thats how we lost collisions and thats how ac2s got nerfed. Paul got killed by them).

#20 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostKahnWongFuChung, on 07 January 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

This was a post by Russ
(This is obviously the number one question.

I absolutely feel I can answer with 100% confidence that the development of a second game will no impact MWO in any way. Now let's remember saying it will not impact MWO development is not the same thing as saying zero resources will be shared or swapped.
For instance it might be the case that were completely finished developing an Installer and build process for MWO just as an example, if the resource who develops those aspects for MWO moves over to develop those items for our second project, it doesn't impact MWO development in any way. There are other examples that would be valid as well, at this point MWO is a mature product and even though we still have lots of work to do, its not the same type of work we have been doing these first three years.
MWO development is dependent only on it's own viability as a product and nothing else. As long as you the customer are supporting its development we will continue to develop it.
Since I will have more opportunities to answer this question I will leave this question with that much information and move on.)
======================================================================
MWO is a good mech game but for the 100 thousand plus+++ MechWarrior pilots MWO was going to be a revival of the beloved PC MechWarrior games MechWarrior2-MechWarrior4 Mercenaries.

Plus all the TT and BattleTech Fans enjoyed the thought of fun tactical gameplay as the plans were laid out for MWO just before the start of Closed beta.

Soon it was apparent Russ and PGI were off track making a mech game that more resembled World of tanks or COD with mech skins. At that time over 500,000 old players and fans started to drift away from the IP and funding started to diminish.

Of course Russ-Brian and PGI bankrolled 5 million dollars to use as they wished I hate to call MWO a scam but in a lot of ways it is. Why? because promises were made to people who paid into MWO and a minimal viable product was delivered.

Which MWO and Free 2 play games are not illegal in Canada and parts of the world it is always buyers beware.

MWO in my estimation had Russ and Brian listened to there players and fans and made a more MechWarrior5 type game using the best of TT/BattleTech and the Past PC Mechwarrior2-4 games it would have been a game of the year.

But no the social aspects 20 +Game modes and multiplayer league aspect plus Co-op and PVE and 70% of how the older games were played was swept under the rug and discarded in favor of a terrible WOT+COD FPS in mech skins that tries to be a E-Sport Moba and it fails hard at everything.

Many say well well this was the only way to remake the IP and I personally say BS to those that think MWO Is a great game nd could only be made the way it was. It is on par with Hawken which has the same core problems and many Free to Play and Pay games that only wish to bilk millions of dollars out of devoted IP fans and players.

So now MWO'S future development is being pushed back on the fans and players that are left and no input as to how it is developed is being taken by PGI for those that are left to decide its fate.

So many figures and opinions the OP expects everyone to take as fact without a single link, quote, or reference. And, while the OP is passionate, emotions don't make opinions or figures fact.

*In the OP's first paragraph he says, "100 thousand plus", but then in paragraph 3 it changes to "over 500,000".

*In paragraph 3, the OP says, "Soon it was apparent Russ and PGI were off track". How about a time frame, timeline, anything other than "soon" which is nondescript.

*Also in paragraph 3 the OP says, "old players and fans started to drift away from the IP". Where is your source?

*Same paragraph 3 (this paragraph is a nightmare), "funding started to diminish." Again, what source are you referencing? Is the OP the PGI Controller, or accountant?

*Paragraph 4, "Of course Russ-Brian and PGI bankrolled 5 million dollars". Did you pull this number out of thin air? Even if correct, where is the link?

*Last paragraph, "Now I understand as a player and a fan how IGP felt when they became the scape goat for PGI blunders and mistakes and was blamed and thrown under the bus". Blatant speculation assumed as fact. The OP did not back up this statement with particulars about how IGP "became the scape goat", "and thrown under the bus". OP is not in position to speak at all for IGP, unless the OP worked for them, and since IGP is no longer an entity cannot be reached for comment or verification.

The rest is emotional opinions of which I don't agree with at all. But, since the rest of the OP's post contains glaring mistakes, I won't waste time refuting those.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users