48 replies to this topic

#1 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hello fellow warriors,

today I encountered an issue after upgrading from a Radeon Card to a Nvidia. I searched the forums but couldn't really find a solution or other ppl that have the same issue, but perhaps I overlooked some threads, in that case I apologize.

Former setup was a Radeon HD 7970 which recently gave up, so I bought a 960GTX with 4gig of VRAM. Radeon stuff was completely wiped before installation of the new card. Newest nvidia drivers have been installed and the card runs very smooth in every game I have (e.g. Fallout 4).

The Problem:
After starting MWO (via Steam) for the first time after the card change, display settings were set back to default. So far so expected. After changing all video settings (Resolution 1920x1080, everything on very high, vsync on, DX11) the game ask for a restart.
After restarting the client, the resolution was set to 1280x720 (I think that is the default one) and whatever I select as resolution, it won't change to anything higher.

I could partly resolve the problem by selecting DX9 instead of DX11. With DX9 I can select my native resolution and it will stay. DX11 by the way is installed correctly and fresh.

Just as a side-remark: With the radeon card everything worked fine with DX11.

So my question: Does anyone else encounter this problem or is it just me? Basically I want to know if it is the games or the drivers fault or if is some kind of misconfiguration on my side.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

#2 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 09 January 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Hello fellow warriors,

today I encountered an issue after upgrading from a Radeon Card to a Nvidia. I searched the forums but couldn't really find a solution or other ppl that have the same issue, but perhaps I overlooked some threads, in that case I apologize.

Former setup was a Radeon HD 7970 which recently gave up, so I bought a 960GTX with 4gig of VRAM. Radeon stuff was completely wiped before installation of the new card. Newest nvidia drivers have been installed and the card runs very smooth in every game I have (e.g. Fallout 4).

The Problem:
After starting MWO (via Steam) for the first time after the card change, display settings were set back to default. So far so expected. After changing all video settings (Resolution 1920x1080, everything on very high, vsync on, DX11) the game ask for a restart.
After restarting the client, the resolution was set to 1280x720 (I think that is the default one) and whatever I select as resolution, it won't change to anything higher.

I could partly resolve the problem by selecting DX9 instead of DX11. With DX9 I can select my native resolution and it will stay. DX11 by the way is installed correctly and fresh.

Just as a side-remark: With the radeon card everything worked fine with DX11.

So my question: Does anyone else encounter this problem or is it just me? Basically I want to know if it is the games or the drivers fault or if is some kind of misconfiguration on my side.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

When you say the old drivers were complete wiped did you do it with DDU? Or just the standard install?

The other problem may be the games cache needs clearing but you can't do that with a steam install

#3 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:09 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 09 January 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

When you say the old drivers were complete wiped did you do it with DDU? Or just the standard install?

The other problem may be the games cache needs clearing but you can't do that with a steam install

UPDATE: Ok, seems like I found the problem/solution, but it's weird. After deactivating my second monitor and switching the game to DX11 again .... it works.

I suppose it has to do with the fact, that for some reason the nvidia card is seeing the DVI-connected one as primary (even when booting) and not the HDMI-connected one. (This was the other way round with the 7970). So the HDMI-connected one is only changed to primary inside windows by the driver.
I simply don't know if there is a way to change this behavior, because this "solution" is not a perfect one. But for the moment it at least let's me play MWO with DX11.

------

I did a DDU wipe in safe mode. To be secure I removed all drivers (AMD and NVidia), restarted and installed the newest nvidia again.
I already verified the files via Steam, did a complete uninstall of MWO and reinstalled again. As mentioned I tested with other games. In steam and out of steam (standalone-games). They work flawless, with every game working with DirectX11.

So my conclusion would be, it must have something to do with MWO, but I am running out of ideas, where to look. I also deleted my profiles and made new ones, no change in behavior. As said, after switching to DX11 it works, but I simply can't change the games resolution to a higher one than 1280x720.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 10 January 2016 - 03:31 AM.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 10 January 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

UPDATE: Ok, seems like I found the problem/solution, but it's weird. After deactivating my second monitor and switching the game to DX11 again .... it works.

I suppose it has to do with the fact, that for some reason the nvidia card is seeing the DVI-connected one as primary (even when booting) and not the HDMI-connected one. (This was the other way round with the 7970). So the HDMI-connected one is only changed to primary inside windows by the driver.
I simply don't know if there is a way to change this behavior, because this "solution" is not a perfect one. But for the moment it at least let's me play MWO with DX11.

------

I did a DDU wipe in safe mode. To be secure I removed all drivers (AMD and NVidia), restarted and installed the newest nvidia again.
I already verified the files via Steam, did a complete uninstall of MWO and reinstalled again. As mentioned I tested with other games. In steam and out of steam (standalone-games). They work flawless, with every game working with DirectX11.

So my conclusion would be, it must have something to do with MWO, but I am running out of ideas, where to look. I also deleted my profiles and made new ones, no change in behavior. As said, after switching to DX11 it works, but I simply can't change the games resolution to a higher one than 1280x720.

The HDMI pick up is slower pretty normal, when my computer boots, it does so on my DVI secondary monitor, once past boot the Windows login displays on the Main HDMI monitor.

Verifying the game files does nothing in this aspect, its completely different in function to the MWO repair tool, which is only available from the standalone client.

Is your desktop resolution displaying correctly? and is the multiple display setup as extended displays?

#5 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:11 AM

Yes the desktop resolution is set to the native 1920x1080 on both displays. Desktop is extended on second monitor and this works fine in windows.

Just to clarify this: I did not extend it in the way that I use both monitors as a "single" one in games. Games are supposed to only use the HDMI monitor with its 1920x1080 resolution and either deactivate or ignore the second monitor.

EDIT:
As said before I started the game the last time with the second monitor deactivated, switched it to DX11 and it worked. Now with activated second monitor, I start the game and after logging in I get a borderless window (was set to "Full Window") in the center of the main display with a resolution of, I suppose, 1280x720 which is fully functional. In the ingame settings the resolution is still set to 1920x1080 but it simply doesn't use it. Switching to fullscreen will give me a 1280x720 fullscreen view, still with the 1920x1080 resolution selected in options.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 10 January 2016 - 04:19 AM.

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

The nuclear option you could try is forcing it.

Go to C:\Users\Gaming\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\MightyBadaboom

You'll find the attributes file, right click it select edit.
Locate the two strings.
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Height" value="1440"/>
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Width" value="3413"/>
They are on the second line for me.
Note: your values will be 1280x780

change to the resolution your going to use, save the file exit. Relaunch the game.

Edited by DV McKenna, 10 January 2016 - 04:14 AM.

#7 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 10 January 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

Note: your values will be 1280x780

change to the resolution your going to use, save the file exit. Relaunch the game.

I'm really sorry, at these positions there are the correct values already.
Thanks for your effort, I will continue searching for a solution, but for now I think I only have the option of deactivating my second monitor whenever playing MWO. Sucks, but there are worse things on earth and it has to do with something inside MWO because other games work properly.

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:36 AM

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 10 January 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm really sorry, at these positions there are the correct values already.
Thanks for your effort, I will continue searching for a solution, but for now I think I only have the option of deactivating my second monitor whenever playing MWO. Sucks, but there are worse things on earth and it has to do with something inside MWO because other games work properly.

In which case the only thing i can recommend you try is a full uninstall of MWO, reinstall via this website and use the repair tool to clean out caches and what not.

#9 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:40 AM

I will give this a try. Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated!

#10 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:47 AM

Ok, so just to keep this up to date the things I did:

1. Wiped my complete PC and installed a fresh Win 10 Pro 64 Bit
2. Installed newest nvidia drivers package
3. Installed steam
4. Installed MWO inside steam

Same problem as before. Every other game I tried so far just works perfectly fine. So I just called it a day for now and mailed the whole issue to the PGI support. I am just confused that according to the forum posts I seem to be the only one having this problem. If a solution is found together with the support I will update this thread.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

This almost sounds like the OP (and by extension, the MWO install) don't have the privilege to update the .cfg and .xml files …

#12 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostGoose, on 11 January 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

This almost sounds like the OP (and by extension, the MWO install) don't have the privilege to update the .cfg and .xml files …

They have the privileges to update/create these files. In the process of testing things out, I also deleted my profile folder more than once and it has been recreated by the game after logging in. Plus the changes in the options menu are reflected in the attributes.xml correctly - even the resolution.

I just realized, I didn't post my specs, sorry about that, following now:

i7-2600k (no OC in effect)
16GB RAM
MSI GTX 960 4GB
32" via HDMI and 24" via DVI

Win 10 Pro 64Bit, Nvidia Package 361.43, MWO installed on SSD.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 11 January 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#13 Texas Red IS

• Pip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 17 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

I'm using an Nvidia card, too. A GTX 745, under a 64-bit installation of Windows 10 home. My #1 monitor is connected via HDMI. I, too, am running my monitors in 1920X1080 resolution; and I have the game set to run that same resolution, in Full Window, with DX11 selected.

I have no trouble with the game displaying properly or retaining those settings.

One question: In Device Manager, Display Adapters, Properties; what is the version of your Nvidia driver? You mention downloading " ...[the] newest Nvidia drivers...". But "the newest Nvidia drivers" are not compatible with Windows 10. The Nvidia software will search for updates for the drivers of this card, but they won't install under a Win 10 system. The driver that I'm using shows version 10.18.13.5382, dated 8/7/2015. What is yours?

Also, I am running the game through the PGI native start-up/patcher. I have not tried to install or launch the game via STEAM. If nothing else, you might try that.

I don't know if any of that might be contributing to your issue, but it might be something to check.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

Tommy

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 11 January 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

They have the privileges to update/create these files. In the process of testing things out, I also deleted my profile folder more than once and it has been recreated by the game after logging in. Plus the changes in the options menu are reflected in the attributes.xml correctly - even the resolution.

I just realized, I didn't post my specs, sorry about that, following now:

i7-2600k (no OC in effect)
16GB RAM
MSI GTX 960 4GB
32" via HDMI and 24" via DVI

Win 10 Pro 64Bit, Nvidia Package 361.43, MWO installed on SSD.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

EDIT:
As said before I started the game the last time with the second monitor deactivated, switched it to DX11 and it worked. Now with activated second monitor, I start the game and after logging in I get a borderless window (was set to "Full Window") in the center of the main display with a resolution of, I suppose, 1280x720 which is fully functional. In the ingame settings the resolution is still set to 1920x1080 but it simply doesn't use it. Switching to fullscreen will give me a 1280x720 fullscreen view, still with the 1920x1080 resolution selected in options.

First, are you saying that the game in 1280x720 is centered in the middle of the screen, which is running at 1920x1080? So a picture in a picture?

Change from Full Window to Windowed mode. Full Windowed mode appears to do some funky things. It forces the screen resolution to make the game setting to get the borderless/full windowed mode.

#15 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Soooo you've got two monitors? One of which is 1280x720, and the other is 192x1080?

Which one is your main monitor, and does Window know this?

Posted Image

#16 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

View PostGoose, on 11 January 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Soooo you've got two monitors? One of which is 1280x720, and the other is 192x1080?

Which one is your main monitor, and does Window know this?

Both Monitors are running at 1920x1080 @60Hz native resolution. The main one is connected via HDMI and Windows knows, it is the main.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 January 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

First, are you saying that the game in 1280x720 is centered in the middle of the screen, which is running at 1920x1080? So a picture in a picture?

Change from Full Window to Windowed mode. Full Windowed mode appears to do some funky things. It forces the screen resolution to make the game setting to get the borderless/full windowed mode.

The following of course only when DX11 is selected ingame:

If I select Full Window or Window mode inside the games options, I get a game-screen of 1280x720 in the center of my main monitor. I can then Alt-Enter, but this only brings me to a full screen view at 1280x720 in which I have some "ghost border" at the edges right and bottom (because of the lower resolution while switching). Alt-Tabbing forth and back once more will give me a full screen 1280x720 view with slightly cut off edges (the game content is overlapping a few pixels to every side).

View PostTommy Teas, on 11 January 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm using an Nvidia card, too. A GTX 745, under a 64-bit installation of Windows 10 home. My #1 monitor is connected via HDMI. I, too, am running my monitors in 1920X1080 resolution; and I have the game set to run that same resolution, in Full Window, with DX11 selected.

I have no trouble with the game displaying properly or retaining those settings.

One question: In Device Manager, Display Adapters, Properties; what is the version of your Nvidia driver? You mention downloading " ...[the] newest Nvidia drivers...". But "the newest Nvidia drivers" are not compatible with Windows 10. The Nvidia software will search for updates for the drivers of this card, but they won't install under a Win 10 system. The driver that I'm using shows version 10.18.13.5382, dated 8/7/2015. What is yours?

Also, I am running the game through the PGI native start-up/patcher. I have not tried to install or launch the game via STEAM. If nothing else, you might try that.

My driver version is 10.18.13.6143, dated 12/16/2015. But I just installed the whole nvidia package from their website which in stated as a WHQL-certified Windows 10 - Driver. So where you got the information that the newest nvidia drivers are not compatible with Win10 ?

I already tried using the standalone-client, no success, same problem persist.
There is a thread here http://mwomercs.com/...nwindow-broken/ where the OP describes nearly the same problem I have right now. Sadly there is no solution in there that helped me.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 12 January 2016 - 12:06 AM.

#17 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:21 AM

Have you tried running the game as admin, and seeing if the options unlock.

Ignore the poster above, the latest 900 series drivers are compatible with Win 10.
The latest version you should have is 361.43, released on the 21/12/15

#18 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

If I select Full Window or Window mode inside the games options, I get a game-screen of 1280x720 in the center of my main monitor. I can then Alt-Enter, but this only brings me to a full screen view at 1280x720 in which I have some "ghost border" at the edges right and bottom (because of the lower resolution while switching). Alt-Tabbing forth and back once more will give me a full screen 1280x720 view with slightly cut off edges (the game content is overlapping a few pixels to every side).

Just to be clear, does the game look like this, where you can not see your computer actual background? If you dont have a background, add one for reference for the moment.

Posted Image

Set the game to windowed mode, log out of the game completely. When you do that, does the screen redo itself so you see your normal background? Have you actually set the game to windowed (not full windowed), logged out then back in?

For additional clarification, are both displays LCD TV or actual computer monitors or one TV+computer monitor? Have you reviewed the settings on the devices themselves?

Brand/model of both devices.

Edit. Nvidia control panel, 3D display, Power Management Mode - Prefer max performance (just to ensure Nvidia is being used for both displays).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 January 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#19 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 12 January 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

Just to be clear, does the game look like this, where you can not see your computer actual background? If you dont have a background, add one for reference for the moment.

Set the game to windowed mode, log out of the game completely. When you do that, does the screen redo itself so you see your normal background? Have you actually set the game to windowed (not full windowed), logged out then back in?

For additional clarification, are both displays LCD TV or actual computer monitors or one TV+computer monitor? Have you reviewed the settings on the devices themselves?

Brand/model of both devices.

Edit. Nvidia control panel, 3D display, Power Management Mode - Prefer max performance (just to ensure Nvidia is being used for both displays).

The game window is centered as in your screenshot, but I do actually see my desktop around it. No matter which resolution I choose ingame. Also, when I select Full Screen ingame, the game window will stay as described. Only way to change this is either Alt-Tabbing (and then having the wrong resolution and "ghost edges" as described or changing to DX9.

I only tried relogging in Full Window and Full Screen mode, will give the "Windowed" mode a try now though.

The 32" via HDMI is a Samsung TV, the 24" via DVI a Benq computer monitor.

Nvidia Powersaving mode is already set to Max Performance.

UPDATE: Running as administrator isn't possible if the game is installed under steam. Double-checked the Nvidia Powersaving option, created additional profile for MWO -> no change.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 12 January 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#20 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 12 January 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

Have you tried running the game as admin, and seeing if the options unlock.

Ignore the poster above, the latest 900 series drivers are compatible with Win 10.
The latest version you should have is 361.43, released on the 21/12/15

The options are accessible in both modes ingame. Only in DX11 mode I get the centered game window as described above. I can select other resolutions and even other options are being saved correctly in the attributes.xml file but only the resolution won't work except I switch to DX9.

But I will give it a try running as admin too.

The driver you mentioned is exactly the one I am using.

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 12 January 2016 - 06:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users