- - - - -

Hello, Coming Back, Hope To Improve

13 replies to this topic

#1 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hello Again, I'm coming back, and hope to improve my skills as a Mechwarrior.

I think I recently picked up the Shadow Cat from the Store, not quite sure yet though; game is still patching currently.

As far as why I left for a bit, and lost interest? I seem to have a bad luck run sometimes where I fire on what looks like an enemy 'Mech, and it's not. I do literally mean that an enemy mech would be behind the ally, and lo and behold, it's actually the ally that is the one that appears to be the foe, and viola, I shoot... Friendly fire stinks. That really drove me away for a bit.

Now, I think I know my problem.

Assaults are huge targets, and twin UAC-20's with plenty of ammo is not a quick fix to how to play the game.

I think the Shadow Cat 'Mech I plan to get together might make up a huge difference in the gameplay and playability of where I plan to be soon enough.

The biggest question I have currently is, what pods to use and what weapons loadout to go with in game?

I'm thinking:

- Shadow Cat B Center Torso
- Shadow Cat P Left Torso
- Shadow Cat Prime Right Torso

This group of pods appears to give a nice balance of firepower options, at least as of my current plan.

3 Machine Guns in Left Torso (P Variant)
1 ER Large Laser in Right Arm
1 ER Medium Laser in Right Torso
2 Streak SRM 6's, one in each of left and right arms

One ton Machine Gun ammo, two tons SRM ammo.

Any feedback thus far?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

I have no doubt people will tell you to simplify your loadout (it is very Battletech; it'd make a great tabletop build!), and to some extent I agree with them until you get used to the game again. Then do exactly what you're doing. I'd probably tie ER ML and 3 MGs together, have Streaks as a right click to hold steadily during combat, and left click handling the ER LL. Make sure to have lower arm actuators!

Make sure that 2 tons SRM ammo is 2 tons Streak SRM ammo. Lot of that going around lately. "Why can't I shoot? I put in ammo."

With some time and renewed skill, I'd trade those for more frequently firing standard SRM-6s, arm-aimed with the left CTRL key to make for effective strikes at those crucial moments. (Arm lock must be off to do this, but you can use whatever button you set to "hold to armlock". Mine is left shift.)

Welcome back.

Edited by Koniving, 11 January 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#3 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I have no doubt people will tell you to simplify your loadout (they're very Battletech; it'd make a great tabletop build!), and to some extent I agree with them until you get used to the game again. Then do exactly what you're doing. I'd probably tie ER ML and 3 MGs together, have Streaks as a right click to hold steadily during combat, and left click handling the ER LL. Make sure to have lower arm actuators!

Make sure that 2 tons SRM ammo is 2 tons Streak SRM ammo. Lot of that going around lately. "Why can't I shoot? I put in ammo." With some time and renewed skill, I'd trade those for more frequently firing standard SRM-6s, arm-aimed with the left CTRL key to make for effective strikes at those crucial moments.

Welcome back.

Thanks, and no problem.

After tinkering slightly, I dropped the big ol' ERLL and then tossed in four double Heat sinks to see what I can do.

This is the build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b61291561537c0e

7.8 DPS and 95% Cooling Efficiency; I think I might use this one instead.

Thanks again for the great feedback; once I get used to aiming the SRM's well, what should I put that extra tonnage towards? Running rather tight as is, and a real lack of free weapon slots is a major issue right now.

Newest Build:

SHC-B

9.09 DPS and 87% Cooling Efficiency; this is even more amazing!

Wow, I missed this, ehehe.

Edited by W Ventilator, 11 January 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

View PostW Ventilator, on 11 January 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Thanks, and no problem.

After tinkering slightly, I dropped the big ol' ERLL and then tossed in four double Heat sinks to see what I can do.

This is the build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b61291561537c0e

7.8 DPS and 95% Cooling Efficiency; I think I might use this one instead.

Thanks again for the great feedback; once I get used to aiming the SRM's well, what should I put that extra tonnage towards? Running rather tight as is, and a real lack of free weapon slots is a major issue right now.

You'll find it wanting in firepower now. 50% is luxurious, and I did a quick mod that brings it to 42%.
I should note: This is what combat with 42% cooling looks like.

The quick mod gives you 3 ER ML. Still tie 1 to the MGs. Alternatively, turn the 1 ER ML into a SPL and tie it into the MGs. I also believe you may have too much rear armor but that's for you to discover.

For a suggestion of what to do with the free tonnage, this half-baked idea throws in a Targeting Computer on the right torso, extending your laser range.

Course if I were to tell you what I'd do, well you'd have this.

#5 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

You'll find it wanting in firepower now. 50% is luxurious, and I did a quick mod that brings it to 42%.
I should note: This is what combat with 42% cooling looks like.

The quick mod gives you 3 ER ML. Still tie 1 to the MGs. Alternatively, turn the 1 ER ML into a SPL and tie it into the MGs. I also believe you may have too much rear armor but that's for you to discover.

For a suggestion of what to do with the free tonnage, this half-baked idea throws in a Targeting Computer on the right torso, extending your laser range.

Course if I were to tell you what I'd do, well you'd have this.

Sorry if I seem dense; is this build more towards what you like?

SHC-B

That LPL build is tempting, as well.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostW Ventilator, on 11 January 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Sorry if I seem dense; is this build more towards what you like?

Meant you could replace the right torso ER ML with an SPL, while keeping the arm ER MLs of the 3 ER ML build I showed you. This means the arms take care of your longer range engagements, and the torso is for if you find yourself up close and personal with death's door and want to spit in their face. (From my copy of your build.)

Edited by Koniving, 11 January 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#7 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Meant you could replace the right torso ER ML with an SPL, while keeping the arm ER MLs of the 3 ER ML build I showed you. This means the arms take care of your longer range engagements, and the torso is for if you find yourself up close and personal with death's door and want to spit in their face. (From my copy of your build.)

Thanks for the continued feedback, Koniving.

If I may, the build that's here:

SHC-B

What are your thoughts? Seems to have some halfway decent balance of firepower, options, and very good heat management.

I plan to make a version of the LPL one that you linked, that could be a great setup to truly go hunting with in game.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

The ER SLs on the arms, ER ML on the torso? The ER SLs would be functional against lights sprinting around you. But they won't be able to tie in well with the MGs without armlock being enabled...kinda removing the advantage of them being on the arms. Given the lack of lower arm actuators, though...that doesn't matter much. The ER ML should instead be used separately of the MGs/SLs to hit targets at longer ranges alongside the SRMs (but not necessarily on the same group). Just don't get caught staring down a bigger mech. Then again, in 45 tons you don't ever want that situation.

#9 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

The ER SLs on the arms, ER ML on the torso? The ER SLs would be functional against lights sprinting around you. But they won't be able to tie in well with the MGs without armlock being enabled...kinda removing the advantage of them being on the arms. Given the lack of lower arm actuators, though...that doesn't matter much. The ER ML should instead be used separately of the MGs/SLs to hit targets at longer ranges alongside the SRMs (but not necessarily on the same group). Just don't get caught staring down a bigger mech. Then again, in 45 tons you don't ever want that situation.

Thank you for the continued feedback again, as well as, working with me on this build.

I'd figure the weapon groups should be:

Left Click: Machine Guns, ER SML's (Group 1)
Right Click: SRM 6's (Group 2?)
Group 3: ER ML

Does this work?

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

If it works for you.

I personally keep my longer range weapons under left click (since longer range requires quicker timing). Normally that would be the ER ML but in this case I would personally have my timing-sensitive SRMs under left click. My DPS weapons (such as the MGs and ER SLs) would be under right click. If they were streaks, they would be under right click or my third mouse button, but since SRMs are under left click I would have the ER ML under my third button.

Whatever the case, be prepared. The Shadow Cat can NOT take a beating. Ever played in a Cicada? If you have, you know it's a rough ride. If you haven't, well this ought to teach you fear. (Trial Cicada versus trial Cicada + Jenner.. Solo Cicada wins by the skin of its teeth).

Edited by Koniving, 11 January 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#11 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 January 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

If it works for you.

I personally keep my longer range weapons under left click (since longer range requires quicker timing). Normally that would be the ER ML but in this case I would personally have my timing-sensitive SRMs under left click. My DPS weapons (such as the MGs and ER SLs) would be under right click. If they were streaks, they would be under right click or my third mouse button, but since SRMs and under left click I would have the ER ML under my third button.

Whatever the case, be prepared. The Shadow Cat can NOT take a beating. Ever played in a Cicada? If you have, you know it's a rough ride. If you haven't, well this ought to teach you fear. (Trial Cicada versus trial Cicada + Jenner.. Solo Cicada wins by the skin of its teeth).

Well, that info really helps out a great deal for me.

As far as weapons groups, I will swap group 1 to the SRMs and Group 2 for the DPS guns, the MG's and ER SML's. Group 3 will go to the ER ML. As far as games in Mediums, I really haven't had any; the problem is the Uller and Kit Fox that I've tried out a few times are extremely soft, and I'm pretty sure Medium 'Mechs don't really have that much forgiveness despite being nearly twice as heavy.

I plan to use Light Mech harassing tactics overall; be fast, be swift, shoot fast, and scoot faster.

At this time, I must greatly thank you for the assistance today in this thread, Koniving. As it is, I think this thread is done for now, although I will do my best to remember to stop by and check on it soon enough.

#12 W Ventilator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

Apologies if this post is considered threadomancy; I just did not want to make a new thread, when this one is just as relevant.

New build, smurfing it up now:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff33fa13c38175f

#13 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostW Ventilator, on 10 February 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Apologies if this post is considered threadomancy; I just did not want to make a new thread, when this one is just as relevant.

I, Leone, Approve of this policy.

Consideration: Sch-A right torso allows for another missile hardpoint. Three srm 4's fires just as many missiles, with a slight increase to heat for a slight decrease to cooldown. No tonnage change. Now, with just the PPC, I'd say, 'meh, your a striker, the alpha is your breaded butter,' But, seeing as how your all geared up with machineguns, I'd think the improved DPS might help the brawling.

Not sure about the ammo count. Seems like too much srm/MG ratio.

Also, that spare tonnage. How often do you get hit in your head? Remove nine armour an you could eek out another half tonne of ammo. Not sure if it's worth it though, maybe rethink the idea after a few runs, see if ammo or head armour gets burn through first?

Lastly, if your sold on the dual srm 6's, you could go for a more vicious, shorter lived but harder hitting 6xMG, 2Xsrm6, Er ppc build.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 February 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#14 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

The last build Leone threw out there is nice, I run a LPL instead. It's less range than a PPC sure, but most engagements it's still prime with less heat and less leading of targets. When you do get in a brawl useing that PPC can shut you down if you panic. On your build I also would put it in a side torso since you have the E slot., arms are fragile on the SC could save you some grief.

Edited by Rhavin, 10 February 2016 - 03:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users