-Iic Quirks?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

So, we have four variants each of four mechs, none of which launched with quirks. This is in contrast to the Marauders, which had plenty.
Question is, will they add any? Which leads to the next question - should they?

#2 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

IMO no Quirks intended by PGI, otherwise they would have come with some.
Just PGI's usual favouritism of IS.

#3 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

I guess they launched them without quirks to prevent the IICs being "OP", since they use clan gear and are fully customizable. If they turn out to be less than survivable, then they will get quirks in the future.

#4 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:35 AM

I've been tooling around with the HGN-IIC a bit lately and while I haven't found a build that I am in love with, I can say I'm having fun with them despite their lack of quirks. This surprises me because I have never been able to use the regular HGN very well at all. Just never took to it. On the other hand, I've found the Marauder to be less than effective even with quirks. For some reason it seems that I lose a leg far more often and easier than in about any other mech. I haven't put a lot of thought into why, it's just something I've noticed. Philosophically, it seems that every mech should have some sort of quirk, even if they're minimal, just because the majority seem to have some and I think they offer a little bit of flavor. But I don't think they necessarily need any. I haven't run any other IIC yet, so I can't speak to them, but they seem to do pretty well despite not having any quirks.

#5 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

Russ mentioned on twitter that they were worried that the IIC mechs being able to combine Clan Tech with they full customization of IS mechs would be game breaking. It makes sense, they would seem to have the best of both worlds.

As a result they decided to be overly cautious and not release them with any quirks.

I think they are open to the possibility of adding quirks in the future if needed.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

These are all pretty good points. Personally, I don't think they're necessary - in fact, it's quite liberating to make builds for these mechs because you won't ever feel like you're obligated to take quirked weapons, and no survivability quirks just teaches you to survive properly instead of falling back on your mech's innate toughness.
As for losing legs on Marauders, I've had that issue a bit from longer distances and I think the geometry of it is to blame - it's got reasonably long and spindly legs for a mech, and its hip joint would be side torso on, say, an Orion. Still a fun mech

#7 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

I think Danth hit it on the head. The IIC mechs combine some of the best elements of both IS and Clan tech, so PGI was very cognizant of the game breaking potential in that. My impressions of them so far are that the Jenner and Hunchback are good to go without quirks, they don't need any. The Orion IIC needs a few durability quirks like +10 structure to each torso section or something. Nothing crazy, just a touch more. The Highlander could probably use some light weapon quirking, also nothing crazy.

#8 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

I've ran the Hunchbacks and Orions and the Orion feels a bit squishy to me. If it needs anything it needs armor quirks.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 12 January 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#9 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

The highlanders have felt very sluggish to me, getting them basiced and then upgrading their engines has helps some what. Staying away from a slugfest has also help, so position for that mech really matters - imho.

Thanks,
Fulgar

#10 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

I personally think the Hunchback IIC needs some ballistic UAC 20 heat quirks to make it not over heat on UAc 20 chain fire for more than 3-5 salvos.

#11 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Some minor structure quirks would be nice. Say +8 or +10 to the Hunchback. Maybe +6 to the Jenner. Orion definitely needs a bit more love. Maybe +6 armor to torsos, +8 structure. Haven't played Highlander enough to form an opinion yet.

#12 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostCabusha, on 21 January 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Some minor structure quirks would be nice. Say +8 or +10 to the Hunchback. Maybe +6 to the Jenner. Orion definitely needs a bit more love. Maybe +6 armor to torsos, +8 structure. Haven't played Highlander enough to form an opinion yet.

Would you like some quick facts: A fully elited (2x) highlander IIc can mount (at max) a 325 engine. If you put that same (325) engine in an Atlas with only basic skills done, the Atlas can out twist, out turn, and out accelerate the Highlander (lets not talk about the fact that the Atlas can use larger engines)....So if you want another LRM/stay in the back Assault, go for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users