• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

I'm returning to the game and it seems a lot has changed in terms of balance. I've been advised on a few things, such as trying something other than PPCs on my 'mechs. I could never really hit with them anyhow Posted Image.

I have my favorite chassis, the Stalker and the Wolverine, elited, but the builds on some of the variants might be a bit dated and I wanted to get them up to speed.

The wolverine-6k is running 3 LLs and 1ML in the head. Should this change at all. It's an old Meta Mechs build I used to bring to CW. I've been making the other two up as a go along. I've geared up the Quarantine and the 7D with SRMs and Lasers/Autocannon respectively. Not good at brawling myself, but I think I'm pretty close to what a build should look like.

As for my Stalker: I have a Misery running an AC/20 and some LPLs. The 3F swapped out it's 4 PPCs for 4 LPLs. The 4N still works as is, and I could never wrap my head around 5M. I tried to throw some SRMs on in, but it never quite panned out for me.

So right now the builds I'm questioning are:
WVR-6K: 3 LLs / 1ML

STK-M: AC20/ 2 LPLs/ 1 ML
STK-3F: 4 LPLs
STK-5M: SRMs, I suck with this variant

It seems PPCs have fallen out of favor, and Pulse Lasers are the thing right now, if I had to take a stab at things.I'm just not sure that I'm getting the most out of these 'mechs. I can't brawl that great, but I do better in the Wolverines than the STK-5M. All the SRMs in the word can't net me a kill with that thing. Since putting LPLs on the 3F I like it a bit more, but with no torso weapons I get stripped more than I would like. As for the Misery, it still does it's thing, but the build might be a bit old given the balance changes. I just wanted to see what could be said about these builds and how I can improve them perhap

Edited by Breidr Breidsson, 13 January 2016 - 04:05 AM.

#2 Magnus Rhyde

Rookie

• The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

Greetings Breidr. If you are looking to compare your current builds and trying to update/tweak them, one thing you might consider doing is checking out some mech build websites to see what people are using these days both in solo drops and in CW. I have listed the two websites that I use the most below, hope they help.

https://www.mechspecs.com

http://metamechs.com/

#3 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:19 AM

Thanks Magnus!

I'm digging into mechspecs as we speak. It's a great site! It's also nice that the builds come with a discussion, yay learn!

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

Breider,

Those builds sound solid to me. I run my 3f the same, my 4N I tun with 5LL as opposed to the traditional 6. My Misery differs a bit in that I do 3LPL and an AC10. I never ran the 5M. Wolverine, is the same as when I ran them. I prefer Griffins if I run a 55ton mech.

To your larger point about overall changes:

Yes PPC are out of favor. In my experience, most folks don't run them unless the mech has a substantial velocity quirk.

Tonnage changes are the biggest change though. With 265 there are a lot of options...or so you would think. Rather than increase drop deck diversity, I see mostly "all heavy drops" rather than in increase of Assaults. In fact, now that I think about it, I rarely see Stalkers en mass. Whereas a year ago, first wave was often half Stalkers or more.

Latest buff pass is also an issue. Black Jack's disproportionate structure quirk has made it the Clan "boogieman", though presumably because of the tonnage increase, I don't see a disproportionate number in CW. Likewise, the Atlas has had a nice structure buff as well, to the point that they are having a bit off a comeback in drops. Spend some time on the forums and (and the mechlab) you will see other notable quirks/buffs/nerfs as well.

Also the skills tree nerf is a thing. A lot of folks (especially Assault aficionados) have complained that the skills tree nerf has disproportionately hit the mobility of the slow mechs to an extent that they are "unplayable". So you may want to take your stalkers out in some pug drops to reacquaint yourself with their feel.

Cha-cha-changes! Welcome back.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

hey,

I recently bought some stalkers, Ive been considering them for a couple years, and the 5M is my favprite one, im still leveling them up, but my 1st match with my 5M was awesome.

here's my build: STK-5M ( i now you said you had no luck w/ srms, but i have :P so ill share it :)
oh, ill add my screenshot when i get home from school Posted Image

Edited by Windscape, 13 January 2016 - 02:12 PM.

#6 BlackHeroe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKasselhague

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

You still can run the Wolverine like this, but myself has tried it out with 3 LPL ( and a lots of people seen this too) works good try it out ;)

#7 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the input, the community here is awesome!

I've thought about trying LPLs on my Wolverine, but I like the range. It may work out in quick play though.

In regards to the tonnage changes, I've taken it as an opportunity to carry 2 Stalkers. I have to carry a Cicada now, but it's not all bad. Going to elite those next. The loyalty 'mech I received is really cool. I've got it running Jump Jets and MPLs right now. I may try a sniper build with ERLLs or something as well.

Going to try that 5M build out too!

#8 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Ran through some new builds this morning, and it was a blast! I love my new Misery build with Pulse Lasers. I kind of want to swap the AC/20 out for something, but I don't know if I have any other good options there.

#9 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

I have run an LPL or LL + gauss build on my Misery for something that has a bit more range. That was before the gauss nerfs though, so I can't speak to the viability of the build these days. Mostly I ran that build in CW so I had a longer range ballistic option.

Edited by grendeldog, 14 January 2016 - 11:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users