Like A Champion - Mark Iii - Update (Event Fixed!)

214 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

https://mwomercs.com...201601champion3

Greetings MechWarriors,

We hope you are enjoying the Like a Champion Mark III event! Just wanted to drop a note here to let you know the scoring is now 100% accurate.
First I want you to know I personally tested the scoring when this event when live. I had a solid match in my meta BJ-1X getting 3 KMDD, surviving and winning the match. I earned 3 points and was quite pleased with myself. (I'm Tier 4 so, not a humble brag)
Initially, we noticed the event page was not an accurate reflection of the event scoring system. This was fixed Thursday and all was good in the land.
Then we(you) noticed that KMDD was not counting when players had died and started spectating.
This morning we ran a stealth fix on the dedicated servers to address this issue. Again all is now good in the land.
Now this event is now firing on all cylinders.
Unfortunately, it is not retroactive. (Boo!)
But!
If you are still working your way to earning your prizes do so with confidence. (Yay!)

This event has a bumpy start. However, I am really liking the new scoring mode, Kill Most Damage Dealt circumvents kill stealing nicely and lets players earn more that one point per match. (something you have been asking for)

Anyways, that's it from me.
What are you doing still reading this?
Don't just stand there get back out there and prove you have what it takes to play...Like a Champion.

Sincerely,
Matt Newman

#2 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

wooot

contest!

#3 xSONOHx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 178 posts
  • LocationEarth (Terra)

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

Noice.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hmmm...

It's hard to project the ETA of how much effort you would need to put into this.

"Kill most damage dealt" usually means one of two things...

1) You did direct fire, and you put a lot of work into one target (going CT, legs, etc.).

2) You are doing missiles (or lots of spread damage), and you pretty much milk the target to death.

#1 is more effective than #2 though...

Instead of requiring a specific damage #, it requires you to put in some level of competence in your damage effort to any/all targets.

Kill stealing is less of a problem (because it doesn't actually do anything negative for you), but you'd have to essentially "do work" on one target at a time.

It'll suck more if you aren't consistently being effective vs any target (usually a newer player)... so there may be bouts of selfishness involved (more team damage in attempted overkills).

We'll see how it will work out.

Realistically, you'll have to do approximately 40 matches to get them all (assuming on average, you get 1 "most damage dealt" per match). It'll be more or less depending on how good you are at this.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 January 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#5 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

woot freebies.I have that mech for pretty long time but guess Im gonna sell normal version for free c-bills and keep champion.Thx PGI :)

#6 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

The cynic in me (so all of me) expects to see a lot of the following:

1. Folks doing a lot of one on ones and standing still shooting at a single target (even face tanking) all in hopes of getting a single "most damage done" notice.

2. Stat padpers who go AFK and/or shut down most of the match waiting for the folks of group 1. to maximize their damage on one another, who then can come in and clean house.

Fun for all!

#7 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

I love freebies and events like this put on by PGI.

The thing that I truly enjoy about it is that everyone has a chance, not just the uber comp players but even the casual players. It is a win win.

Thanks,
Fulgar

#8 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Kill most damage is a great metric to use to reward effort and No RNG kill stealing to worry about. Players will also play to win because it means more potential points.

It will be fun to see how quickly some people can complete this event.

#9 BMKA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 105 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChile

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:40 PM

A pretty nice event...ppl will be focus on do damage and not on steal kills.
More teamwork and less heroes is required, just what we need.

#10 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:46 PM

Nice event... expect high % of heavies, though, and lots of laser vomit.

#11 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 13 January 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Nice event... expect high % of heavies, though, and lots of laser vomit.

Yeah, unfortunately light and medium mechs will find they have a harder time getting this done :(

#12 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Interesting method.

Question though as I forget - do we have to KILL the target to get "Kill Most Damage Dealt" or merely have done the most damage to a killed opponent?

#13 Kiahoga

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

No you dont just have to do more dmg than the person who scores the kill shot

#14 Gus VAPOR Rice

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostTheStrider, on 13 January 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Interesting method.

Question though as I forget - do we have to KILL the target to get "Kill Most Damage Dealt" or merely have done the most damage to a killed opponent?

That would be a "solo kill"... which is not required, only most damage.

Though It would be nice if a solo kill gave an extra point I think...

#15 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

So.. let we see.. Most Kill Damage...OK, I know, what will happen in this Event.. I stay in the 3th line as ususally,... in my heavy LRM-boat (since, you know, I am a noob, low skilled LRM-boater, etc).. I am waiting for my targets... and waiting... and waiting.. ...but, nothing happens.. because, nobody will use the "R" key.. (probably they even remove it from the keyboard), in the fear, that somebody will do more damage than they do... Then 3-4 Red Lights attack me... they stripping my armor, but try not to hit the structure itself (they know, I have many ammo to blow up).. then one of them make a mistake and kill me.. End.

I know, that.. you know that.. The only question is.. Why PGI doesn't know that?

Edited by Sky Hawk, 13 January 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#16 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostKiahoga, on 13 January 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

No you dont just have to do more dmg than the person who scores the kill shot

Nice! Makes the event seem a bit more attainable than prior iterations. :) Do good, get points... With a little more target focus rather than 'spread the love' focus.

Don't disconnect this weekend! I'm sure all the lights will be on "Disconnect" cleanup duty. :)

#17 Ian G

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostSky Hawk, on 13 January 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

So.. let we see.. Most Kill Damage...OK, I know, what will happen in this Event.. I stay in the 3th line as ususally,... in my heavy LRM-boat (since, you know, I am a noob, low skilled LRM-boater, etc).. I am waiting for my targets... and waiting... and waiting.. ...but, nothing happens.. because, nobody will use the "R" key.. (probably they even remove it from the keyboard), in the fear, that somebody will do more damage than they do... Then 3-4 Red Lights attack me... they stripping my armor, but try not to hit the structure itself (they know, I have many ammo to blow up).. then one of them make a mistake and kill me.. End.

I know, that.. you know that.. The only question is.. Why PGI doesn't know that?

No, no, no. The only question is why you still use a LRM-Boat. Especially when an event like this is around the corner. My Dakka-Dire wants a word with you. ;)

#18 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

inconceivable!

a thursday morning to tuesday morning event!

#19 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

Excellent! I will run my Locust and Commando champions all weekend...

#20 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

While the event might affect how people play in the short term, old habits die hard. What I think will happen is people bring out different mechs than they might otherwise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users