606 replies to this topic

#21 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

First actual battletech game I personally owned and got to know intimately was Mechcommander. The 1st Davion Guards was my unit, with which I helped take Port Arthur back from the Jaguars almost single handed. Since then I've been into Davion, basically because compared to the rest of the houses, Davion comes closest to being the good guys.

#22 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

View PostHayden, on 11 December 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

Because giving the capellan confederation to your wife as a wedding present isn't evil at all :P

Killing bad guys is never evil. Didn't you learn anything from Hollywood ? :lol:

#23 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Because giving the capellan confederation to your wife as a wedding present isn't evil at all :P

But I have to admit, I do admire Hans' cunning and thoughtfulness.

And massive testicular fortitude to pull that, right in front of the Liaos at the ceremony. Long as Davion never turns it's eye at St. Ives, right?

#24 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostOppi, on 11 December 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Killing bad guys is never evil. Didn't you learn anything from Hollywood ? :P

Guess not!

View PostJack Gallows, on 11 December 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

And massive testicular fortitude to pull that, right in front of the Liaos at the ceremony. Long as Davion never turns it's eye at St. Ives, right?

Honestly, better Hanse Davion than Romano Liao. But yes, I'd prefer it St. Ives did not go the way of the Tikonov Free Republic (curious to see how this plays out).

EDIT: And SUCH fortitude! Oh goodness, to go on with his toast completely ignoring Maximilian Liao, as Liao explodes into an incoherent mess? Just awkward for everyone, but man... Hanse... Just so together. And everything goes Swimmingly until he drops the ball in 3039.

Edited by Hayden, 11 December 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#25 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Because Hanse Davion is the man. He even saved the Draconis Combine. Yeah yeah. If he had lived instead of having a heart attack he would have taken Katherine over his knee and done tanned her hide if she had tried to poison or assassinate him., After that he would have killed her in a manner most fitting a traitor to the FedCom.

#26 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

View PostHayden, on 11 December 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

EDIT: And SUCH fortitude! Oh goodness, to go on with his toast completely ignoring Maximilian Liao, as Liao explodes into an incoherent mess? Just awkward for everyone, but man... Hanse... Just so together. And everything goes Swimmingly until he drops the ball in 3039.

Yea...well. You can thank Comstar for that. The dracs wouldn't have done nearly so well had Comstar not interdicted communications (which we were getting around with the black boxes, albeit slowly,) and helping Kurita with superior tech.

#27 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostHaeso, on 10 December 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Kathrine makes the dracos look nice guys.

Katherine

*SPIT*

makes nearly *anyone* in the BTU look like nice guys...

#28 Redbear6

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMy secret lair under the Green Mountains

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

Four little words, NAIS, the New Avalon Institute of Science. Oh all right, Four Big words, and two little ones.

#29 Mavek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

When I was a young man, Hanse declared war on the entire inner sphere with dinner plates. I'd follow him or his son into battle any day against any one.

Despite having French parade units in the AFFC, we are the best in the Inner Sphere.

Edited by Mavek, 19 December 2011 - 12:56 AM.

#30 Radwulf

Rookie

• Corporal
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

View PostMavek, on 19 December 2011 - 12:54 AM, said:

Despite having French parade units in the AFFC, we are the best in the Inner Sphere.

No kidding ? ^_^

#31 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

Because giving the capellan confederation to your wife as a wedding present isn't evil at all :)

Well if you read the end of the Warrior Trilogy then you find out that the "Gift" was just a political ploy to misdirect everyone else from the real reason he smashed the CC.

When a government will destroy one man's free will then that government needs to be destroyed.

#32 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Because giving the capellan confederation to your wife as a wedding present isn't evil at all :D

That's the wonderful genius of the writing of the BT universe, though. It's a grey universe where there is almost never a 'good guy' or a 'bad guy' to side with or against. The closest you ever really got at one point was the Clans, but then you find out they are the returned Star League Army, slapping them right back into that wonderful grey moral area.

Hell, even Katherine did some good during her time as Archon.

As far as why I joined House Davion?

One word.

Spurs.

#33 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 21 December 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

Hell, even Katherine did some good during her time as Archon.

Pics, or it didn't happen ^^

(For me she's the antichrist, ruining house Steiner for me even though she won't become Archon until 7 or 8 years after launch. She's even worse than Sun-Tzu. He just wanted what he believed was best for the Confederation, while all that Katherine ever wanted was more power, regardless of the bodycount.)

#34 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

Simply because Hanse Davion is my king.
His neurohelmet is his crown, his throne a command chair, his mighty chariot the lone Battlemaster striding the fields, and his domain a battlefield littered with the dead Cappies and Dracs who dare challenge my liege.

#35 Shadow Lupine

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Because Hanse out of all the Inner Sphere leaders made a serious effort to better all humanity through the NAIS. Victor continued that trend, yeah Hanse played dirty against his foes, be they the DC, CC or ComStar, but he did it because he honestly believed that the Davion way was the way forward for humanity.

Also Com Star wasn't an option, I always respected the Com Guards and while they are ******** ComStar did what ti thought best to protect technology and humanity.

#36 xSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I found myself siding with House Davion in every playthrough of MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, figured now is as good a time as any to declare my allegiance. Besides, they're the House Atreides of Battletech ;)

#37 Alindale

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

I chose the Suns for the same reason as most here, they are the 'good' guys and even as dirty as Hans played the game of politics he wanted to form a better inner sphere. He was the only one who was willing to take Katrina Steiner up on her offer of peace in 3020, he was also willing to devolve his own realm for the betterment of humanity.

Sure he was ruthless and cunning and even played dirty, but when you look at those like Maximilian Laio and the Kurita's he is by and by far the better man. His children (with the exception of Kathrine) had the same sentiment to better humanity.

Because giving the capellan confederation to your wife as a wedding present isn't evil at all ;)

But I have to admit, I do admire Hans' cunning and thoughtfulness.

It's wasn't evil at all, it was revenge plane and simple, House Liao and Maximilion Liao got what was coming to them, seeing the they tried to replace him with a body double and arguable that world taken in the war were better off under Fed-Com rule.

Edited by Alindale, 22 December 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#38 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

The number one reason why I am a Federation fan to start of with is do to how they treat their people, which is a hell of a lot better then the other houses, which some of you have already pointed out.
The second reason is because by far they are the most stable of the bunch politicaly and economicly. And when the ruling prince screws up they almost always admit it. Which shows honesty and integrity.
Thirdly, their military is just so awesome they pretty much romp all over any one in their way.
And my fourth and finely reason, and one that I find to be rather funny, is that clanners strive to have some kind of blood connection to one of the fallen Prince's, can't remember which one though that was killed in battle. I'm sure some one here will know.

#39 Gabriel Drake

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Area

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I've been a loyal player of the Federated Suns since back in '84. BattleTech was my first ever wargame and I loved it; easy enough to understand considering how into RoboTech I was :)

And yes, Harmony Gold and FASA need to just hash the argument out and share. Bull-headedness on both sides hurts all the fans.

House Davion appealed to me because of all the reasons mentioned beforehand: nobility, justice, relative freedom and equality. But also for the fact that they had Team Banzai in their corner ;)

#40 goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

At the risk of sounding like a BT noob,Mechwarrior 4

Kentares IV is my Planet and NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE IT, EVER.

also LB-X AUTOCANNONS F--- YEAAAR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users