Why have YOU chosen house Davion?

606 replies to this topic

#581 nightsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostJames Griffin, on 30 January 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

They pay and treat us mercs better than anyone else... ok the Lyrans used to pay better but the Fed Suns gave me better treatment. Not really much of a point now as we are all one big happy Federated Commonwealth family now. Also I like ACs

Note, I'm still waiting for my Fed Com avatar, I mean we have the FRR so why not Fed Com?

They are working out the price structure and pulling a D&B on you to see how much they can charge and get you to pay. Guard your wallet and be prepared to take a bath in your cloths.

#582 Phantom360

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 92 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOver where the grass is greener.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

I think Katharine Stiner Davion actually makes Romano Laio look like a sane, honest and kind person XD

#583 chaas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

My friends coerced me. For the sake of convenience, I hold the Davion banner. Were it up to me, I'd go all Stephan Amaris on all the House leaders. Sadly there's no lore or whatever that would put me in that position, so hi I'm chaas I'm a Federat and I'm going to walk through your 'mech as I turn it into a fireball. Have a nice flight in your ejector pod!

#584 El Space Doctor

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

House Davion had promise. I think if the battletech was written today, house davion would be even better, more like real space yanks. Good hearts commanded by total ******* to achieve goals that could somewhat objectively be seen as evil. But dat 80's innocence is why I love Davion. Every time I see one, I give them gifts, ammunition by the ton load.

#585 Carmenblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • 839 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTerra Firma

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

democrathy because

#586 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

So this is an interesting thread. Shame I didn't see this before.

Stange thing is that many say they follow House Davion is because of reasons that are not actually in canon.

So firstly, House Davion (like every Successor House) is not a democracy, its a Feudal overlord autocratic dictator style of government. There's nothing inherently 'nice' about the system. In 2293 a planetary lord of the Federated Suns was left a baby on the palace doorstep in her desperation that it have a good life (she being unmarried and poor ra ra ra). The Lord then had the baby killed and the body placed on public display so as that the rest of the population would not lumber him with their babies in turn. When the horrified mother found out and complained, she got the same treatment. ("The Tyrant of Muskegon", pg 22 House Davion)

As for some of the Davions, well there was Paul who never served in the military and who's greatest claim was that he showed eccentric, but sometimes impressive flair in clothes fashion. (pg 27 House Davion). There was Etian who was referred to as "the mad" and prone to wild rages (hmmm, that sounds almost identical to a Liao Chancellor)

There was also Edward Davion who upon his brother Edmunds death in 2415, had his Sister in Law and her new lover trialed for high treason and executed, then his neice Judith was immediately strangled to death by Edwards personal bodyguard after the trial before he sent agents off to assissinate his nephew so as no one could make a future claim to the throne. (pg 29 House Davion)

Then there was whole war of succession between Laura and Cassandra which wasn't exactly a "girl fight' as many would assume it might be, oh no they went at it hammer and tongs dragging virtually the entire AFFS into a Civil war killing millions to settle the question of their own ambition.

In the Star League era, when House Davion was committed to peace against its neighbours under the Star Legue, young Zane found himself with a flagging economy. His solution was what any good law abiding respectful leader should be, conduct a war against his chief political opponent, although we do see in canon that they actually 'started it'. (pg 51 House Davion)

Some people praise Victor for breaking down barriers and marrying Omi without appreciating that it was Urizen Kurita of the Combine who married Mary Davion way back in 2698 who set the trend for Victor to imitate.

I see some people talking up Hanse Davion as a consumate general, a master of strategy but the canon says otherwise. The canon says that it Ran Felsner who "led the strategy sessions that ultimately resulted in the plan for Operation Rat" (pg 22, War of 3039). Felsner was also the one to "strongly urged Prince Hanse to continue to combat operations aganst the Combine and vocally objected to the recall" which tells us that basically Hanse failed as a 'master' strategist, because well we know the recall order was what lost House Davion that war.

During 3028, we also know that Hanse Davion ran many of his interior worlds close to starvation levels so as to free up enough transport for the military requirements. Indeed, things got so bad Hanse had to introduce rationing to head off the worst effects of the expected civil unrest which was about to explode and cripple the over burdened economy. (Military Atlas 4th Succession War pg 6)

We can also turn back to Victor and the rather questionable ethics of cloning young Joshua before he dies from lukemia on the off chance that if he did die, having a clone would buy time to settle things down with House Marik. I mean this raises all sorts of questions right? His daddy Hanse ostensibly launched the 4th because old Max cloned him, but 25 years later it's apparently quite acceptable practice and certainly nothing that Thomas should get upset about.

So it's interesting that many people cite House Davion's as a model of Truth, Justice and Freedom when canon clearly demonstrates they are just as likely to be murderous power hungry interstellar fiends as any other. Davions have throughout canon shown not a lot of love for their "people' and are quite happy to burden them with their own private wars or ambitions, starving and murdering them as required for the 'greater good'.

Their worlds are in many places economic back waters and there is very little democracy, with planets being represented in courts by Fuedal overlords.

Their military has had peaks and troughs like any other, they failed spectularly at the start of the first, didn't progress too much in the second. They started to get going in the 3rd, had a good run in the fourth and then proceed to go backwards from there loosing in 3039, again in 3057, and in 3070. Wind the clock forward some more and poor old House Davion is shattered with Robinson and New Syrtis now answering to other Successor Lords. The much admired AFFS is struggling to hold whats left, not that there is a lot left to hold.

But anyway, thats just what is in canon.

#587 DarkBazerker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 257 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWaffle House

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

View PostThat Guy, on 27 December 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

battlefield stratagies:

Draconis combine: FIGHT HARDER!
Lyran Commonwealth: pay someone else to fight...
Free Worlds League: FIGHT EACH OTHER!
Cappellan Confederation: FIGHT HARDER HUMAN WAVES!
Federated Suns: fight SMARTER

thats another thing I like about us Posted Image

you forgot Free Rasalhague Republic lol

#588 YaKillinMeSmalls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

The amount of non-Davion butthurt in this thread is ludicrous.

Seriously, this thread would be five pages long if it weren't for all the trolls saying why they DIDN'T choose Davion.

Edited by YaKillinMeSmalls, 06 April 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#589 Bad Frosty

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

I follow house Davion because PGI are a bunch of jerks who won't let me join the ComGuard unless I work for them.

Still, of all the remaining choices, House Davion is the best. Not that there's much to choose from in the Battletech Universe. The Federated Suns is basically somebody's idealized Space America, which I'm totally on-board with as a citizen of Earth-America. The real America, not that other one.

True, it is ruled by a monarchy, something I would never accept, but it is a benevolent fictional monarchy that is somehow interested in promoting freedom. Normally, I would never fall for that, I vote strictly Libertarian, but within the confines of this universe I guess I can tolerate going all Platonian and tolerate enlightened rule by philosophers.

I enjoy most of the Davion canon, and when that fails I enjoy Davion auto-cannon. Call me prejudiced, but as a former member of the most powerful military in the world, I am somehow inordinately proud of Davion Military tradition. As a rule, I don't endorse the use of lethal force to control people. When I went to Iraq, it was as a peacekeeper, not an antagonist. I never saw the theater of war most did. Sure, I was shot at and very nearly blown up...repeatedly, but I was a friend to even the insurgents. It may sound odd, but that attitude saved my life, and the lives of others.

But that's an OT story, the fun part of that war was having absolutely supreme military dominance over any form of resistance. Ignore the media, we could have flattened that nation in a matter of hours if we wished it. Nobody could have stopped us, the US Marines, if we had ever been turned loose. That's not supposition, it is a fact. We never lost an engagement, not even close. Our discipline and fire superiority proved itself time and time again. Nothing could stand against us, we were invincible. The casualties that our nation suffered were only a result of politicians getting in our way. No pathetic insurgency made of half-trained boys pretending to be men ever stood a chance against us. They were terrible shots, incompetent bombers, and disastrously organized. I use the term "organized" loosely, even in the "disastrous" context. I have seen children organize water-gun fights with more planning.

Anyways, maybe you have to stand at that peak to appreciate the value of serving people. Maybe you have to actually hold that kind of power before you ask yourself what you're going to do with it. What would you want to do with it? I never particularly wanted to dominate the Iraqis, I felt bad for them. It was like killing children. Annoying, ungrateful, ******* children that killed hundreds of thousands of Kurds nobody remembers, but children nonetheless.

The Davion fiction goes around all this and just imposes a Great House of Royalty that is primarily interested in bettering people's lives. Well, frell me dead, that's what I signed up for. Moreover, they manage to not {LT-MOB-25} it up with power struggles. Prince Victor stays the course against the Clans, even as his sister betrays him and the Inner Sphere falls apart bickering over power they don't have a right to, that nobody should have a right to.

Call me simple, but Prince Victor and his House are my choice. In this universe at least. He doesn't want power, and that's the kind of man I am willing to follow. Anybody can be powerful, it's so easy once you have the power, but to surrender it in the interests of something greater takes real strength.

My 'mech and my skills are sworn to the service of Prince Ian Victor-Steiner Davion, as readily as I swore my oath to the people of the United States and their Constitution so many years ago.

#590 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Why? Because!.. JK, Honestly because back when I played Battletech (My buddy Joe and I both had our own companies, he had "Dyer's Desperados" and I had "Hart's Commando's" as a combined unit we were "Damage Inc", we also played it that we were part of the Federated Commonwealth, but stayed with Victor after the split).This is the house we chose for our unit, so naturally I continued the theme in MWO.

When I started MWO I was going to continue using Athena Hart as my Avatar, but as we use TS3 It might confuse people as I'm a guy, but my character in CBT was female (Tori "Athena" Hart, was a Hatchetman pilot) So after a brief stint in Closed Beta I created this account instead of Continuing to use Athena Hart,which I use for MMO's (Sstaan exsists in EQ2-Iksar, Champions Online and I use the same name for the Elder Scrolls games-Argonian)

Though technically Sstaan shouldn't exist in the Battletech universe I do remember reading that there were indigenous lifeforms on some of the colonized worlds so, theoretically an intelligent reptilian humanoid "could" have been on one of those worlds and come into contact with humans thus Sstaan, a Reptilian-Humanoid Mechwarrior who prefers the seclusion of his cockpit.

#591 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

My answer is simple, MW4: VENGEANCE, since this game i have realized deeper connection with the storyline.

Edited by ENS Puskin, 09 August 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#592 Hobotorius Augustus Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

prince davion gives me chicken tendies if i get enough good boy points in a match

#593 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

This whole contract has been a smorgasboard of soda sippy cups and chicken tendies shaped like mad cats, or as I like to call em, timby tendies

#594 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

hans makes me mac and cheese with hot dogs every day after naps

#595 Alexander Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

If I had to be honest, and thinking back the real reason I picked House Davion was sometime in the late 80's I bought my first B-Tech game and the houses only had tiny blerbs about them. So I picked my house based on the Symbol. The Draconis Combine was my 2nd choice, but I wasn't into anime or Katana back then so yeah....

#596 Padric Redman

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

In the late 80's my group of friends played a mixture of Battletech (tabletop wargame) and Mechwarrior (role-playing game). Our group was part of Redjack Ryan's merc unit contracted by Davion to defend a system against a Liao offensive. Ryan broke contract and made a deal with Liao - but our lance in turn broke from the merc unit to remain loyal to Davion.

So I guess nostalgia is my reason.

It was interesting to see many people in this thread say they started Battletech in the 80's, that means... (counts on fingers)... they're of similar age to me.

#597 Samurai Hanse Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:49 PM

The Davion Life Chose Me, By Way Of Early Onset Diabetes And Heart Disease.

#598 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:22 AM

View PostSamurai Hanse Davion, on 24 September 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

The Davion Life Chose Me, By Way Of Early Onset Diabetes And Heart Disease.

Gotta get dem tendies yo...

Edited by VorpalAnvil, 27 September 2015 - 01:45 AM.

#599 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

I have finally switched to the Federated Suns (Davion) like I should have been from the beginning. Since I first read The Sword and the Dagger, I have played Davion in TT and every Battletech game except for a brief time as a Clanner. I have no idea why I did not choose the Federated Suns from the beginning.

#600 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to the side of Freedom and Bacon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users