Deciding Sale Mech To Buy

5 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

Trying to decide if I want to get another IS Mech this sale, I have cut down choices to this list. Not just for Quick Play, I also consider CW. I can make a good Clan deck even with the limited number I have there but I lack in Heavies and Assaults (only have Grasshoppers, Thunderbolts, Awesomes, Zeus) of an IS deck.

Shadow Hawk - 2D, 2K, 5M. I do well in Mediums, downside is I am not hurting in the Medium area with plenty (half of Medium chassis Mastered) including some I do well in.
Quickdraw - 4G, 4H, 5K. Having JJs helps but this Mech is considered too large in size by some.
Cataphract - 0XP, 1X, 2X. Supposed to be good even today and gives 1 ECM. Seems to use XL engines a lot though STD may be possible.
Victor - 9B, 9K, 9S. Has JJs and speed, that BT test said I was a Victor. Bad part is it has Awesome size.
Highlander - 732, 732b, 733P. Has JJs. Hardly ever see these at all.

What other bad and good points of these Mechs are there?

#2 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

The quickdraw is considered large, but also has high Energy mounts and some of the best quirks out there right now. Check out metamechs and see that he has them placed highly in the competitive tiers using LPLs. They are supposed to get downsized as well, and if they keep the quirks will probably be considered OP at that point. Being tall isn't bad if you are hill poking, which is a large part of CW.

Shadowhawk is solid now from what I've heard. They didn't need a lot of help, and got decent quirks. Probably not OP, but very well balanced IMO.

Cataphract is still a little weak from what I've heard, but I'd like to try them out some day as I love AC20s.

Victor is still a little weak I believe, but has great mobility. I think your Zeus probably fulfills a similar role, but minus the jump jets.

Highlander still needs a little love, but I think the structure quirks helped.

#3 BassetTaxi

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

Quickdraws are in a good place right now. Quickdrawk 5k running with ER LL is very good for a cw drop deck, swap over to a LPL build for quick dropping.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Well, thanks.

I skipped the Quickdraw for now as I am awaiting the Rifleman's arrival though after the Anorexic Warhammer, who knows what it will look like.

I got Highlanders and this new sale has Cataphracts again along with allowing a third Adder and Cicada.

#5 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 16 January 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Trying to decide if I want to get another IS Mech this sale, I have cut down choices to this list. Not just for Quick Play, I also consider CW. I can make a good Clan deck even with the limited number I have there but I lack in Heavies and Assaults (only have Grasshoppers, Thunderbolts, Awesomes, Zeus) of an IS deck.

Shadow Hawk - 2D, 2K, 5M. I do well in Mediums, downside is I am not hurting in the Medium area with plenty (half of Medium chassis Mastered) including some I do well in.

As I keep telling everyone, the Shadow Hawk, while technically a medium, plays more like a heavy / assault support Mech, so if that's a playstyle you like, you might enjoy the SHD.

Quickdraw - 4G, 4H, 5K. Having JJs helps but this Mech is considered too large in size by some.

By "some"? Try "many". However, it is getting resized (to be smaller, I hope). Don't know if you want to wait for the resize and then buy it or risk it now. That being said, I do own the 4G, 4H and 5K and the I do really well in the 5K despite the chassis' setbacks.

Cataphract - 0XP, 1X, 2X. Supposed to be good even today and gives 1 ECM. Seems to use XL engines a lot though STD may be possible.

STD engines are definitely possible on the CTF. I run the 2X and 3D with an AC/20, which require STD engines. In terms of variants, I personally opted for the 3D over the 1X; the 3D is basically the 1X with an energy hardpoint swapped for a ballistic and with jump jets, which is a win in my book. Be aware, also, that the 0XP's energy hardpoints are exclusively in the arms, which means it loses one of the major features of the CTF chassis, the high shoulder mounted energy points. The same goes for the 4X, which has the energy hardpoints in the CT, but it has 4xballistics in the arms (I guess that's why they call it the 4X Posted Image) which more than makes up for it.

Edited by Rorvik, 20 January 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#6 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

I wouldn't sell any mechs. Learned my lesion with the crazy balance PGI is trying to do. Sell off single heat sinks and lower std engines along with framers etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users