• Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

With the contest on the way I desired to show people how to stop LRMS in their tracks and give some nice support to your teammates while getting some kills to top it off...

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

#3 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

Oldbob10025 ,One of the things you can do is put the ER M Lasers on chainfire to negate or slow down the heat build up? Have you tired that yet?

#4 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

I love these 3xAMS/ECM Kit Foxes. Basically set up a clanner alt to run them, couldn't care less about Timberwolves etc.

I run ECM, 3xAMS (3½ ton ammo), and KFX-S side torsos for 2xJJ. Then some reasonable armament -- been experimenting with stuff like 3xERML + 4xMG or 2xERML + 1xLRM15.

They're really strange little beasts which tend to win lots of games, in my experience. You can keep your team's big guns alive, and while you run with them people tend to not target you very much, which means you survive long and get to put in surprisingly good damage in the process.

I love to bring them out during events, when the old lurmageddon tends to raise its ugly head.

#5 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

View Postrolling thunder, on 17 January 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

Oldbob10025 ,One of the things you can do is put the ER M Lasers on chainfire to negate or slow down the heat build up? Have you tired that yet?

Yea on that game I didnt but when I remember to I do.. When making a video and streaming on twitch you forget some things LOL

View Postjss78, on 17 January 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

I love these 3xAMS/ECM Kit Foxes. Basically set up a clanner alt to run them, couldn't care less about Timberwolves etc.

I run ECM, 3xAMS (3½ ton ammo), and KFX-S side torsos for 2xJJ. Then some reasonable armament -- been experimenting with stuff like 3xERML + 4xMG or 2xERML + 1xLRM15.

They're really strange little beasts which tend to win lots of games, in my experience. You can keep your team's big guns alive, and while you run with them people tend to not target you very much, which means you survive long and get to put in surprisingly good damage in the process.

I love to bring them out during events, when the old lurmageddon tends to raise its ugly head.

You dont have to set up a another clan character to run clan mech with your inner spear char.. you can have all the mech from what ever clan or inner you want...

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postrolling thunder, on 17 January 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

View PostOldbob10025, on 17 January 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

Yea on that game I didnt but when I remember to I do.. When making a video and streaming on twitch you forget some things LOL

It's almost never worthwhile to do this - I used to, but you're decreasing your dps and increasing stare time. Unless you're running up against an alpha limit (heat scale) or your weapons are widely separated on the chassis (e.g. left arm and right arm) you're better off simply waiting for your heat to go down and hammering the enemy with your full firepower. You can use chain fire (or one of two weapon interlocks) to trick the enemy into thinking it's ok to twist back toward you, but you should never chain fire just to save heat.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 17 January 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

You dont have to set up a another clan character to run clan mech with your inner spear char.. you can have all the mech from what ever clan or inner you want...

Oh, I know separate IS/clan accounts are not required. I prefer to do it for a multitude of reasons though. First, I take role-play semi-seriously, and dislike running clan mechs while flying Capellan colours. A second reason was that I can put all GXP towards IS and clan weapon modules, respectively, on the two accounts. And last ... a second set of cadet bonuses is always appealing.

#8 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

Poptarting, a play on the popular breakfast pastry Poptarts, is a tactic in which a Mech utilizes Jump Jets to rise up from behind cover, fire its weapons, and then sink back behind cover.

Source: http://wiki.mechlivi...itle=Poptarting

#9 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

View Postjss78, on 18 January 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

Oh, I know separate IS/clan accounts are not required. I prefer to do it for a multitude of reasons though. First, I take role-play semi-seriously, and dislike running clan mechs while flying Capellan colours. A second reason was that I can put all GXP towards IS and clan weapon modules, respectively, on the two accounts. And last ... a second set of cadet bonuses is always appealing.

Very true my friend I was going to do that but I just dont have the time to do that but more power to you .. I to take being IS as an honor but like many just time is no where to be found

#10 Shirow

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTexas :)

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:51 AM

View Postjss78, on 17 January 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

What a mech with three AMS? Please tell me that's not just a Clan option , but IS can do this too?

#11 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostShirow, on 20 January 2016 - 01:51 AM, said:

What a mech with three AMS? Please tell me that's not just a Clan option , but IS can do this too?

clan only... But the Panther has the ability to have two if that helps ya

#12 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

Also the Wolfhound 1B which also have 2 AMS.

#13 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostTordin, on 20 January 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Also the Wolfhound 1B which also have 2 AMS.

True very true

#14 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

List of mechs with 2 AMS hardpoints: Locust-3M, Spider Anansi, Firestarter-S, Panther-10K, WOlfhound-1B, Mist-Lynx, Vindicator-1AA, Crab-27, Catapult Jester, Thunderbolt-9S, Grasshopper-5J, Black Knight-6, Summoner, Battlemaster-2C, Stalker-5S and Atlas-K
Of those, the best is the Wolfhound-1B, Thanks to its AMS quirks (+20% range and +10% rate of fire)

List of mechs with 3 AMS hardpoints: Kit-Fox, Nova-S
The Nova has better AMS quirks (+15% range and +15% rate of fire, for only +10% range and +5% rate of fire on the KF)

edit/troll : but my AWS-8R laughs at your AMS! mwuahahahah Posted Image

Edited by epikt, 20 January 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Berith Apollyon

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationRuins of Gabriel - Argentina

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Is there an XP or C-Bills rewards for protecting team members with your AMS's?

#16 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostBerith Apollyon, on 20 January 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

None. (or I missed something)

But it has been requested for a long time (as well as a "tanking" reward).

#17 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostBerith Apollyon, on 20 January 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Nope, but their should be... I mean you are basicly providing extra health to your team mates by knocking down some missiles before they hit...

I mean when i used to run KFX-TOOLBOX, it served one prupose, to get the Dire Wovles to the front, with out being eaten by LRM's, once they were there, my job became to TAG targets, knock out enemy ECM and keep the missile death in check... did I ever get a reward for keeping the Dire Wolves alive? Nope, but it's a team game, not everyone needs to be the super star.

#18 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 January 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Nope, but their should be... I mean you are basicly providing extra health to your team mates by knocking down some missiles before they hit...

I mean when i used to run KFX-TOOLBOX, it served one prupose, to get the Dire Wovles to the front, with out being eaten by LRM's, once they were there, my job became to TAG targets, knock out enemy ECM and keep the missile death in check... did I ever get a reward for keeping the Dire Wolves alive? Nope, but it's a team game, not everyone needs to be the super star.

Thats what I use my Kitfox for is a main support mech.. its a harder type of play style but very rewarding. The only drawback is that you dont get many c-bills or points for using it

#19 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

The CPLT-J also packs 2xAMS in stock form.

#20 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:04 AM

I play Kit Fox very often and it is my Favorite Mech. I'm running ECM,3xAMS, 3x MPlas, 4x MG and 2x Jump Jets (KFX-C arms, KFX-S side torsos and prime legs). I usually stick to the big guys (Charlie Lance) providing ECM and AA and fire support as well as hunting down damaged enemies.Great Supporter and often you change the game with your presence while still having decent firepower to get kills and ~400dmg for Cbills as well as the usual flanking/scouting boni.

If you take advantage of certain locations on most maps, you can cover your whole team with AMS nullifying most LRMs by good positioning, make sure you are between your team and the enemy team (preferably on higher ground) to get maximum AMS effectivity. I use AMS range mod to further increase the AMS coverage.

It's quite funny when brawling with the own assaults intercepting most enemy SRMs as well.

AMS in the case of the Kit Fox is better than ECM. LRM boats cant waste their ammo on ECMed groups/targets but they usually run low/out on ammo after I burned through 3-4t of AMS ammo.

View PostChados, on 24 January 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

The CPLT-J also packs 2xAMS in stock form.

Jester, yes. And Crab, Battlemaster, Atlas, Vindicator, Nova (could fit 3x, but the AMS omnipods are quite bad) and some others as well.
Facing shittons of LRMs on Polar right now can't just be covered with a single KFX (in particular because you often lack coverage because of the open map design), the whole team must protect each other with single AMS as well to get the LRM teams under control.

Edited by Exard3k, 24 January 2016 - 06:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users