I Never Tried Mechwarrior Living Legends

37 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

I watched a couple videos on YouTube and that game looks awesome. I don't know if the mechanics were good or not, but the levels were HUGE and beautiful, there were playable aircraft, tanks, power armor, infantry. The mech animations did look stupid. But the explosions were incredible. MWO gameplay does look much better. Comparing that world to MWO, it seems like they took such a step backward. For those of you who played that title, what are your thoughts comparing the two?

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

Never played it. This might have what you are looking for though:
http://mwomercs.com/...ds-is-not-dead/

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

Both had/have their strengths and weaknesses. In terms of what I miss from MW:LLThe maps and way those were played was much much better as was the addition of combined arms.

#4 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

MWO has smoother controls, and technically better graphics, (though we all know its not as good as it could or should be).

living legends is otherwise, pretty much better in every way. Better sounds. Clearer mechanics. Fantastic Maps. Real environmental effects, etc. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was great.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

You can still play it.

Not a large community, but some weekends have nearly full servers.
Due to the Solaris game mode, you only need 2 to play.

#6 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

It seemed much more tactical and slower paced with scouting and big maneuvers. What slowed down gameplay in that game. It seems like there's no solution to the MWO murderball.

#7 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

View Postadamts01, on 18 January 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

It seemed much more tactical and slower paced with scouting and big maneuvers. What slowed down gameplay in that game. It seems like there's no solution to the MWO murderball.

TTK was really long. Mechs were really resilient.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

MWLL had better gameplay and better maps. But the team balancing was atrocious; veteran players would all stack on one team and theyd put all the noobs on the other team. And thats one of the major reasons the game died.

MWO has better graphics, better controls, and better team balance (even though matchmaker in MWO barely works its still way better than MWLL which allowed vet players to stack every single game).

What slowed gameplay down was the fact it had ticket-based respawns.

Because there was no threat of permadeath, people had more freedom to go off and do their own thing, so you didnt get massive deathballs where people clumped together for safety in numbers. And no deathballs meant way higher TTK.

The solution to the deathball is to add a new gamemode(s) with ticket based respawns and maps with spread out objectives that encourage teams to split up. Remove the fear of permadeath to give players the freedom to operate in smaller groups and spread out the the objectives to encourage teams to split even up more.

Edited by Khobai, 18 January 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#9 DiGCliff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

If I can play it I would love some links to the required downloads for the mod

#10 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 January 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

MWLL had better gameplay and better maps. But the team balancing was atrocious; veteran players would all stack on one team and theyd put all the noobs on the other team. And thats one of the major reasons the game died.

MWO has better graphics, better controls, and better team balance (even though matchmaker in MWO barely works its still way better than MWLL which allowed vet players to stack every single game).

What slowed gameplay down was the fact it had ticket-based respawns.

Because there was no threat of permadeath, people had more freedom to go off and do their own thing, so you didnt get massive deathballs where people clumped together for safety in numbers. And no deathballs meant way higher TTK.

The solution to the deathball is to add a new gamemode(s) with ticket based respawns and maps with spread out objectives that encourage teams to split up. Remove the fear of permadeath to give players the freedom to operate in smaller groups and spread out the the objectives to encourage teams to split even up more.

To be fair, there really wasn't team balance. The system was entirely open, you joined whatever team you wanted. You can't criticize a system if the system doesn't exist. There was no matchmaker in Living Legends.

That being said, the way to play living legends is with friends, and there's sort of an honour system involved. Its up to the players to NOT stack a team. Certainly not ideal, but remember this WAS a total conversion mod for crysis, not a game in its own right (although it was damned close).

#11 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

T minus 60 sec till touchdown in k-town lol

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

You can't criticize a system if the system doesn't exist.

you certainly can criticize the non-existence of a fair team balancing system in MWLL.

again its one of the major reasons MWLL struggled to gain new players. because it lacked a system of team balancing and allowed veterans to stack teams which chased new players away.

That being said, the way to play living legends is with friends, and there's sort of an honour system involved. Its up to the players to NOT stack a team.

lol honor system... gamers will ALWAYS do whatever they can to give themselves an advantage. min/maxing and testing the limits of a system is what gamers do. PGI clearly hasnt learned that yet either.

Edited by Khobai, 18 January 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#13 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

it was a fun game more fun than MWO imo but it didn't have a mechlab

#14 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 January 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

lol honor system... gamers will ALWAYS do whatever they can to give themselves an advantage. min/maxing and testing the limits of a system is what gamers do. PGI clearly hasnt learned that yet either.

Agreed. I knew that gamers were like this from the start, so that's why I was actually pushing that there be no customization system in MWO when it was revealed to be multiplayer only. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to keep things balanced had it not been a part of the game.

People aren't customizing, they're using websites to make pre-designed powerbuilds.

Edited by ice trey, 18 January 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

View Postice trey, on 18 January 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Agreed. I knew that gamers were like this from the start, so that's why I was actually pushing that there be no customization system in MWO when it was revealed to be multiplayer only. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to keep things balanced had it not been a part of the game.

People aren't customizing, they're using websites to make pre-designed powerbuilds.

In that case you'd just have people select the best stock builds (yes, they do exist) instead of the best custom builds.

#16 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 January 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

In that case you'd just have people select the best stock builds (yes, they do exist) instead of the best custom builds.

Yeah, locking out the mechlab is no solution.

#17 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:10 PM

Living Legends is AWESOME!

... and nobody in North America plays it because ... CoD. :-|

#18 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 18 January 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Living Legends is AWESOME!

... and nobody in North America plays it because ... CoD. :-|

No it's because obscure IP that hadn't seen a major release in 10 years.

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 January 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

I like permadeath, respawns take away from realism for me. In MWO, when you get cored, you're like "$*** I better rotate to the back and pull out every trick in the book to protect this CT." Not "oh well, next mech." Nut I guess the problem is people are just "oh well, next match." I have to make myself think that way with some teams. Hopefully some good stuff is in store for CW3
But I do think you're spot on with needing some good game modes.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 18 January 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

T minus 60 sec till touchdown in k-town lol
If they close this comparing one game to another to discuss what would make MWO better that would be a shame.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

View PostDiGCliff, on 18 January 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

If I can play it I would love some links to the required downloads for the mod

http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Download at the bottom.

1 user(s) are reading this topic