13 replies to this topic

#1 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

Greetings my fellow clanwarriors!
I wanna ask about how most of you guys are doing in recruiting new members to your Units?

Recently i noticed that the german (i am german) IS units get dozens of new recruits just since the beginning of 2016 (3 weeks!), while the clan units hardly find new recruits.

As an example i added the numbers of the members of all german IS-Units and german Clan-Units (see http://mwomercs.com/...chen-communtiy/ - you dont really need to understand german to understand ;) )

There we have 1672 Members of the IS and just 343 Clanmembers.

The issue i wanna talk about, is that it is much harder to form a group of 12 players, willing to play and train regularly, than it is for IS-Units (its not about balancing Mechs).

Is that an issue for all clan units (there are a few execptions, i know) out there? I would be happy to have a stronger and larger unit, but it is really hard to find new recruits.
Is that an issue, worth trying to bring to PGI in some kind of way?
What do you guys think about? Does it affect your game/unit/drops/fun in the game in general?? Or is this problem just a part of the german community only?

#2 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

One of those fairly old, long and interesting threads which, fortunately, remains alive – in large part thanks to guys like you, Edema and a few others. Starting around page 12 – 15 is probably sufficient to get a feel for the breakdowns. Indeed, proficiency in German is not necessary to parse the data for the of salient stats. Besides: Many among the German-speaking MWO-gamers I've encountered are great guys (and maybe include some gals) who also speak excellent English and would surely be glad to help with a little translation.
I hope for more participation in your thread, particularly since four of us just formed a casual tiny unit and would love to learn from good folks giving answers to your good questions:

The Forsaken (FORS)
4 active, 0 inactive,
Clan
Format: casual, non-militaristic, democratic
Inception: Dec. 2015
English/German spoken

Unfortunately, it's too soon for us to give you or anyone any useful answers or data, particularly since we're not actively recruiting yet, although anybody, regardless of experience, is welcome to join anytime with no strings attached.

Thanks Posted Image

#3 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

Aff, I have addressed this very issue before multiple times. Unfortunately, a number of other people simply disregard my argument or try to discredit me without actually giving a legitimate answer to that issue.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4951486

The IS has the numbers (just like in lore) now more than ever, but the Clans have been stripped of our tech (PGI spitting on the lore itself). PGI has claimed that their engine cannot do anything other than a 12 vs 12 when it is the third generation of an engine that could do a max of 128 vs 128. It seems that PGI wants us to believe that we are still living in the 1980's. This is the 21st century and yet they cannot do anything other than a 12 vs 12 battle? This does not make any sense.

In short, PGI is biased against the Clans and it shows on the CW map. That is all the confirmation you need to know that.

Edited by Jep, 23 January 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#4 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:50 AM

Alright, i havent seen posts regarding this issue yet.
It just sucks, but nice to see that i am not the only one feeling like this. It just hurts to see how they totaly program the crap out of this game (which actually could be just awesome cause the important content - the fights and feeling - is just awesome.

I'm gonna see what happens in the next patch but i dont have much hope left. Cant believe that PGI is so incredible sucessfull in avoiding to give the community what they need. The only thing which keeps it alive for me at the Moment is the Unit i am in - but sometimes its hard to keep even that alive.

#5 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:14 AM

Large units have a certain pull-effect, because most players want easy and simply grouping options. And only large units can really offer those.

And so the larger units suck in most of the applicants, not by their doing, but by the doing of the appliants - for the german playerbase, these are TJ and 12DG for IS and GCGB for clan. IMHO it is quite hard to compete with those. You would need very active recruitment.

#6 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

@Kinluu:
Yepp, i agree to 100%.
But despite that, it would stil be much easier for us as a clan unit to recruit new pilots, if the player base of the clan-faction would be much larger....

#7 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostJep, on 21 January 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Aff, I have addressed this very issue before multiple times. Unfortunately, a number of other people simply disregard my argument or try to discredit me without actually giving a legitimate answer to that issue.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4951486

The IS has the numbers (just like in lore) now more than ever, but the Clans have been stripped of our tech (PGI spitting on the lore itself). PGI has claimed that their engine cannot do anything other than a 12 vs 12 when it is the third generation of an engine that could do a max of 128 vs 128. It seems that PGI still wants us to believe that we are in the 1980's. This is the 12st century and yet they cannot do anything other than a 12 vs 12 battle? This does not make any sense.

In short, PGI is biased against the Clans and it shows on the CW map. That is all the confirmation you need to know that.

Thx for the link. I also enjoyed that “i got almost T1 in 3 weeks of playing, average CW damage 1500+” comment from some guy. No doubt, he was telling the truth – maybe just forgot to mention also playing the little mouse in lots of imbalanced, organized stomping.
Admitting to obvious imbalances could deflate comfortable illusions of grandeur, surely an unbearable price to pay for many. Also bad for biz. My guess is that PGI knows that.

#8 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

It's a double whammy (well, triple or quadruple really, but meh); IS got buffed (well, mostly, not as much in some instances as some folks would like to believe), and IS has a lower perceived paywall for Drop Deck entry along with some areas they're simply superior in now (Range quirked ERLL and overbuffed tanky Black Jack, I'm looking at you).

Clan Mechs are still very pricey (though the sales are appreciated!) which makes building a clean initial drop deck quite a bit more difficult and appear more daunting than it is (IS are still pricey as hell, but few ; you'll get a lot of IS flooding in without upgraded or optimized mechs, because, well... they can, and they want to play. That will tilt the numbers fairly heavily.

That said, the balance is in a far better place than it was (better, but not necessarily in the place it needs to be yet to be fair), and there was a reason Clan mechs dominated the Tourney/Meta scene for such a long time. Now, it's quite a bit harder to point out the areas where they really excel as readily, and you'll definitely see the meta-chasers flock to the next big thing, and that isn't Clans.

Toss into that equation the influx of nostalgia laden IS mechs like the Warhammer and Marauder, with the IIC being ridiculously fragile and largely unpopular for CW use, and it's not hard to see why the IS are really popular right now.

And of course, a lot of long-standing units that got bored doing Clans, wanted to meta-chase when they had a less perceptible advantage or just have a change of pace and drop decks have also switched over to IS. I don't really use the map as really an indicator of much of anything beyond "big, competitive or active units are in this Faction at this time" honestly. The end of Beta 1 saw an FRR resurgence of territory for instance, but that had more to do with a few units going quiet on the Clan Side to give them breathing room than the "flavour of the season" issue it has going now.

Though not necessarily still valid (I don't have the numbers anymore), last time PGI posted numbers, it seemed that European based players previously tended towards the IS side by majority, with the US/Canadian players going Clan more heavily in the past, so that could also still be a factor for whatever reason if it still holds to be true. Never knew why it was the case previously, and that was quite a long time back, so who knows if it even factors in anymore.

#9 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

Archie4Strings:
Well. Looks like your thread has fizzled. Does that mean your questions are without merit? No. Does that mean nobody cares? No. Does that mean your unit is doomed? Maybe. What would you think if I told you that our Clan unit, The Forsaken, could have all the new members it could ever want? Probably that I'm some dreamer. What would you think if I told you that any Clan unit actually has outstanding opportunities to grow, better than IS units? Probably that I'm nuts. What would you think if I told you that YOU are at least (!) part of the the reason why your little unit is fizzling, just like this thread? Probably that I'm a real jerk for saying such a mean thing – in YOUR thread no less.

Firstly, building a “unit” is as old as mankind, as old as getting a bunch folks together regularly for stuff like playing any game, like, for example, “poker night every Tuesday”. It's as old as offline games like D&D, MTG etc and physically getting a few folks together to play together at some desirable location in the real world. The fundamental motivators to join any kind of “unit” are often the same. Most (all?) people want or need “something”. Before joining, they consider powerful criteria. For example, “what's in it for me if I join?”, or “what am I excepted to give this unit so I can get what I think I need or want?” etc.

All I need to do is look at the way you, Archie4Strings, conducted yourself in this thread to already know that I would never join your unit with your present conduct. This is because I (and probably some other folks) noticed things I don't like. Examples:
I don't like the fact that you don't even mention the name of your unit.
I don't like the fact that you did not even mention one idea you have tried to get new members.
I don't like the fact that you simply blame PGI and IS for your troubles.
I don't like the way you fail to acknowledge most of the folks who took the time to respond to your inquiry.
I don't like the way you don't even give KinLuu a little, free 'like”, the only person apparently “worthy” of your specific acknowledgment:

View PostArchie4Strings, on 22 January 2016 - 05:24 AM, said:

@Kinluu: Yepp, i agree to 100%. But despite that, it would stil be much easier for us as a clan unit to recruit new pilots, if the player base of the clan-faction would be much larger....

Obviously, I could give a rat's *** whether or not you “like” my contributions. I'm just glad that I can give “likes” to the work others have freely given you in this thread. I appreciate them – even if I might not fully agree here and there. In fact, I suspect that everyone in our little unit would be proud to have every one of them join our little unit – except for you.

Please view none of the above as some mean “flame”, but rather as hint. Perhaps remember Schiller's famous old German saying, “Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es zurück”, the basic, approximate equivalent of the English saying, "You reap what you sow". If anything, consider that I just put “your” thread back on top of the big stack on a Saturday morning in North America, prime time. Some call that “free marketing”. Posted Image

#10 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

The thing with cw is that we are using the SAME mechs as in pug drops, so letting clan tech be OP (as per the same lore FASA stated they regretted creating), you would create a disparity in pug drops because very often it would come down to who has more op clan tech wins.

One solution that no one seems to want to touch is to have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MECHS FOR CW. These mechs would be quirks differently for battles where you know each side is all IS or all Clan. From there, pgi is developing AI so perhaps clan teams can have 2 "placeholder AI players" that do nothing except occupy 2 slots so they can drop as a pair of stars.

But no one will go for this because it means they have to buy more mechs and keep them segregated.

Tl;dr, Like some arcade games, have a normalized "arcade" mode and have a cw mode with diff quirks and settings.

Additional benefits would be noobies not stumbling into cw with out some prep work...

Edited by MovinTarget, 23 January 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#11 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostOstrea, on 23 January 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

Archie4Strings:
Well. Looks like your thread has fizzled. Does that mean your questions are without merit? No. Does that mean nobody cares? No. Does that mean your unit is doomed? Maybe. What would you think if I told you that our Clan unit, The Forsaken, could have all the new members it could ever want? Probably that I'm some dreamer. What would you think if I told you that any Clan unit actually has outstanding opportunities to grow, better than IS units? Probably that I'm nuts. What would you think if I told you that YOU are at least (!) part of the the reason why your little unit is fizzling, just like this thread? Probably that I'm a real jerk for saying such a mean thing – in YOUR thread no less.

Firstly, building a “unit” is as old as mankind, as old as getting a bunch folks together regularly for stuff like playing any game, like, for example, “poker night every Tuesday”. It's as old as offline games like D&D, MTG etc and physically getting a few folks together to play together at some desirable location in the real world. The fundamental motivators to join any kind of “unit” are often the same. Most (all?) people want or need “something”. Before joining, they consider powerful criteria. For example, “what's in it for me if I join?”, or “what am I excepted to give this unit so I can get what I think I need or want?” etc.

All I need to do is look at the way you, Archie4Strings, conducted yourself in this thread to already know that I would never join your unit with your present conduct. This is because I (and probably some other folks) noticed things I don't like. Examples:
I don't like the fact that you don't even mention the name of your unit.
I don't like the fact that you did not even mention one idea you have tried to get new members.
I don't like the fact that you simply blame PGI and IS for your troubles.
I don't like the way you fail to acknowledge most of the folks who took the time to respond to your inquiry.
I don't like the way you don't even give KinLuu a little, free 'like”, the only person apparently “worthy” of your specific acknowledgment:

Obviously, I could give a rat's *** whether or not you “like” my contributions. I'm just glad that I can give “likes” to the work others have freely given you in this thread. I appreciate them – even if I might not fully agree here and there. In fact, I suspect that everyone in our little unit would be proud to have every one of them join our little unit – except for you.

Please view none of the above as some mean “flame”, but rather as hint. Perhaps remember Schiller's famous old German saying, “Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es zurück”, the basic, approximate equivalent of the English saying, "You reap what you sow". If anything, consider that I just put “your” thread back on top of the big stack on a Saturday morning in North America, prime time. Some call that “free marketing”. Posted Image

So the guy did not give you his autobiography, so what? He wanted to ask a simple question and that was it. Why do you have to be so rude and negative? You know:

I do not like the fact that you do not even mention the name of your unit.
I do not like the fact that you did not even mention one idea you have tried to get new members.
I do not like the fact that you simply blame others for no good reason.
I do not like the way you jump on a guy for just asking a simple question.
I do not like the way you are so condescending towards someone without just cause.

Here in North America, we call guys like you hateful a$$holes.

View PostMovinTarget, on 23 January 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

The thing with cw is that we are using the SAME mechs as in pug drops, so letting clan tech be OP (as per the same lore FASA stated they regretted creating), you would create a disparity in pug drops because very often it would come down to who has more op clan tech wins.

One solution that no one seems to want to touch is to have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MECHS FOR CW. These mechs would be quirks differently for battles where you know each side is all IS or all Clan. From there, pgi is developing AI so perhaps clan teams can have 2 "placeholder AI players" that do nothing except occupy 2 slots so they can drop as a pair of stars.

But no one will go for this because it means they have to buy more mechs and keep them segregated.

Tl;dr, Like some arcade games, have a normalized "arcade" mode and have a cw mode with diff quirks and settings.

Additional benefits would be noobies not stumbling into cw with out some prep work...

Read this. This would be the best solution. If you disagree, then by all means, propose your own. Remember to explain how we can balance the very uneven populations.

http://mwomercs.com/...86#entry4951486

Edited by Jep, 23 January 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#12 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

tl;dr Trying to recruit from a dwindling player base with interest level issues for the hardcore proponents of it, is always going to be rough when there isn't an influx of new players committed to the mode (and right now, there isn't much reason unless you like to get stomped as a new player. Repeatedly.) Folks go where the least perceptible effort is, and that usually means big units that can front 12 mans easily and win often, vs giving a small, new or untested group a shot.

Don't ask me where Ostrea's hostile tone is entirely coming from, because I don't really know (though it seems fueled by some heavy levels of optimism in the face of all odds and a knee-jerk reaction to someone complaining about the state of affairs while trying damn hard to get a unit going despite it. I wouldn't read much more into it than that, honestly).

Recruitment is sluggish if you're not a pre-established unit and aren't grabbing folks from other gaming communities, with the major influxes few and far between with an unforgiving game mode that doesn't appeal to literally, 90% of the game. This is old hat for me; I call it musical chairs for good reason. Finding new players that want to give the mode a shot after practice and work (and getting stomped a **** ton) are pretty spotty, especially after initial souring experiences.

I'll be blunt, and I understand where the feelings are coming from (and I won't say they're not legitimate, but there's far more at work than the big-bad-PGI): The mode sucks for new players and many of the larger units haven't help matters. Some have, many have tried, but when you "want to play but don't have the deck or the polished skills to be competitive" you often get relegated to c or d drops, or get tossed through practice routines that... well, treat you more like a lemming than an active contributor.

Try recruiting in an echo-chamber that's more musical chairs than faction warfare. When you're actively trying to snag -new- members from a stagnated player base who's loosing more and more due to burnout, you're basically competing for an ever dwindling resource that only becomes more challenging to dip into.

This was a problem back in CW phase 1, never mind now, a big one in fact, and by the end of it folks knew it was in a downward spiral. The issue is most of the suggestions to fix it... are simply misplaced or outright bad and don't take into account... -gasp-, the bulk of the game could care less about unit-players. At all. Or what they say on the forums, let alone getting a game mode "to themselves" that just incessantly reinforces that through stomps and active unabashed farming. Bluntly put, much of the issue was from the practices of the CW community themselves and the -very- misplaced idea that a bunch of random strangers would listen, never drop into the mode (warnings aside, most folks assume they've got the skills and ability to thrive in it at first, vs not, because we are creatures of ego), never try an entire set of maps because "only for the elite", and it would somehow, I dunno, grow in that state.

It flopped, and it was a warranted flop. Now PGI is trying some quick fixes before upcoming changes and content additions.

Calling something community warefare, yet alienating the bulk of the playerbase, and just tacking on the idea it was end game contact and "hardcore" because it -lacked- basic features (hardcore to me is when you're constantly pitted against people your skill level or better, like most ranked ladder queues in other games), was fairly doomed to go sour. But many acted like it was all the fault of those poor new players for having the gall to want to play it, and thus, deserved getting stomped, farmed and chased off until... barely anyone played the damn thing. Yet -that- was somehow the right way to do it. Where they honestly expected to get new players is beyond me, but there seemed to be a lot of rose tinted glasses that they'd naturally gravitate to units from solo-queue, vs try the mode on their own.

The split queues might impact this for a while (as players get to play CW in a less vicious and toxic environment, then migrate and make their own units without the constant looming threat of being farmed every drop), but I only advocated that because I will take -any positive fix-, even a temporary bandaid that will encourage people to give the mode a shot and stick around, vs what we have now. Which, in the current queue format... is an outright failure.

As cynical as it is to say, many want to go where the wins are and get carried, because it's seen as -easier- to hop into a "winning" unit, than to give something new or smaller a shot. When that doesn't float, it's often the larger casual units that get the rest as folks burn out from "tryhard mode". Anything that trickles off of that then gets divided by the rest. Given that some actively try to stack the deck and win via bloat for unit events (of which I've seen from multiple groups, and by seen, have had leaders and membership outright state it...) with a zergish invite policy, it only makes the pickings slimmer.

The strongest teams I've seen, however, aren't the massively bloated, zergish invite types. They're the folks that play together, enjoy each others company, don't recruit aggressively and tend to be more concerned about enjoying the game (while winning), rather than, well, just going hyper competitive because, reasons. They're good because they're familiar with each other, and trust each other enough to not constantly micromanage (which only causes problems). Most of the time, they were pre-established from other games to boot, but they're rarely in a recruitment blitz.

It's an uphill battle that may not change until the game mode is much more inviting to the vast bulk of the player base. Right now, it simply isn't, with less than 10% actively participating and the before-mentioned stagnation really hurting the mode (which yes, is partly PGI, but also partly some of CW's serious community issues and denial-ridden outlooks).

The fact that (for now) it's primarily a 12 man or bust environment only makes recruitment harder because of the population issues. If you have trouble fronting even 1 12 man, a lot of folks simply migrate to the groups that can, assuming they'll be in whatever full premade is going on. It's a valid assumption, but often not true and misplaced. There aren't many groups fronting more than one 12 man, and being filler for a mixed group is more the norm, but the assumption is still "they'll get into the 12 man drop", and boom, the larger units continue to grow.

I'm hoping it changes, in that we get enough of the population giving it a go to eventually trickle into the unit queues, but I'm a realist at heart; if it takes work, folks will go for the easier alternative, and that's not joining small units, or starting them from scratch and trying to get folks on board.

As it stands, it's a pretty tall order to try and topple and grow under. Not impossible, but it's definitely not easy pickings. What you're facing, many others are as well, and it's a fairly time consuming process even with the Steam population giving things a whirl.

#13 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Jep:
That was certainly not my intent, especially towards you. My apologies to anyone who may be offended. I just grow weary of folks blaming everything without more consideration...
For what it's worth: The thread is alive again. :)

#14 Ostrea

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:24 AM

Moebius Pi:
Good stuff. Thanks much.
Indeed, I am “fueled by some heavy levels of optimism in the face of all odds” because that is, I believe at least, what it takes these days to build a small unit (or even any small business venture). Optimism and belief that “it” can work in the face of seemingly terrible odds may well be how many big units here once got their start. I have a tough time rewarding negativity and excuses in the face of trying to overcome known obstacles. Instead, I think it better to contemplate how to maybe prevail anyway.

A surely absurd and purely hypothetical example (even though PGI does it at every turn Posted Image):
How many new recruits could a new unit gain (or steal?) by offering a bunch of premium time or maybe even a mech as a special gift to just join and demonstrably participate for just a month? Maybe all of them would then bail. Maybe not all of them, just many or just some. Would it have been worth it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users