7 replies to this topic

#1 SamuraiMarshall

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOxford, UK

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Ok, niche question...

Inserts caveats[1]

... I'm testing Crossover for Mac (v15.0.1) with MWO, having been looking forward to finally getting some game time in since I registered for this project way back when it was still a concept, let alone pre-release.

Crossover rates the support for this game as Gold (aka, Runs well - https://www.codeweav...hwarrior-online ) but I'm having problems getting it to run without crashing.

Hardware wise I'm on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 32Gb RAM, 4Ghz i7, with the uprated AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB, all SSD setup - so I'm far from underpowered, and certainly am enjoying 5k resolution on other native games (Elite Dangerous, step forward!)

However, I'm crashing the game every time I try to start some form of mission (e.g. the new Tutorial level[2]). I think the issue is something to do with the Graphics setup, but I can't find the right combination of settings to make progress yet, so I'd like some advice.

What sort of settings have other's tried and found to work? And any other Crossover Mac (or Linux) users?

Thanks in advance!

[1] I've seen the multitude of posts with various forms of ill-informed Mac bashing; I'm not interested. Thankfully the sane and helpful people and post so far have been Linux or Mac users so I am hoping to talk to the informed, rather than the plain opinionated.

[2] I say new, because it certainly wasn't an option when I last tried to run this game under Bootcamp on my previous 5 year old machine

P.S. No, I'm not going to waste time, effort, disk space, etc on doing Bootcamp for one thing. I don't care that I can get valid Windows software for barely any cost thanks to my job, but I have to be paid to use it. I use Mac for fun and for free :P

Edited by SamuraiMarshall, 21 January 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#2 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

No idea man, but did you check here, it looks like there are some suggestions:

https://www.codeweav...hwarrior-online

#3 SamuraiMarshall

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationOxford, UK

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Thanks! Hadn't spotted that thread yet. :-)

Had some further progress. After cranking the settings up to Max (which included resolution up to 5120 x 2880), I found that that was a good way to ensure it crashed when trying to load the Mech bay, let alone get into the game.

Unfortunately finding a way to reset the settings wasn't trivial as the Loader's Fix Install tool didn't reset the settings (even with all the options checked). However, after some digging I found that looking in my user Documents folder then -> Mechwarrior -> Profiles -> <<GameID>> -> attributes.xml -- that I could edit the resolution back down again to get the MechBay to load, and to let me get at the Settings and Graphics again.

So, started at the opposite end of the spectrum and dropped the resolution down to 2560x1440 and all settings to Low... and it runs! Enough for me to test out several parts of the Training Tutorial. Much happier now. Guess it's going to be a case of try each setting and see what causes it to crash now, unless anyone gets back with pointers sooner than that :-)

Edited by SamuraiMarshall, 21 January 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#4 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

I have gotten it to work under parallels on a late 2009 iMac 27 inch with both the stock ATI radeon HD 4850M and the HD 6970M (optinal on the highest i7 model) when I modded the machine.

I ran the game under bootcamp at around 20-40 fps (this was on the 6970M).
Using a version of parallels on OS X 10.9 the fps I achieved was around 4-15 (and much lower when there was still a memory leak in the game.)

#5 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:24 AM

Also Windows cannot handle that kind of resolution, the highest it will allow is 3840x2160.
excedding that will probably cause crashes.

5K iMac bootcamp threads will explain the issue in more depth.

#6 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostSamuraiMarshall, on 21 January 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Ok, niche question...

Inserts caveats[1]

... I'm testing Crossover for Mac (v15.0.1) with MWO, having been looking forward to finally getting some game time in since I registered for this project way back when it was still a concept, let alone pre-release.

Crossover rates the support for this game as Gold (aka, Runs well - https://www.codeweav...hwarrior-online ) but I'm having problems getting it to run without crashing.

Hardware wise I'm on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 32Gb RAM, 4Ghz i7, with the uprated AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB, all SSD setup - so I'm far from underpowered, and certainly am enjoying 5k resolution on other native games (Elite Dangerous, step forward!)

However, I'm crashing the game every time I try to start some form of mission (e.g. the new Tutorial level[2]). I think the issue is something to do with the Graphics setup, but I can't find the right combination of settings to make progress yet, so I'd like some advice.

What sort of settings have other's tried and found to work? And any other Crossover Mac (or Linux) users?

Thanks in advance!

[1] I've seen the multitude of posts with various forms of ill-informed Mac bashing; I'm not interested. Thankfully the sane and helpful people and post so far have been Linux or Mac users so I am hoping to talk to the informed, rather than the plain opinionated.

[2] I say new, because it certainly wasn't an option when I last tried to run this game under Bootcamp on my previous 5 year old machine

P.S. No, I'm not going to waste time, effort, disk space, etc on doing Bootcamp for one thing. I don't care that I can get valid Windows software for barely any cost thanks to my job, but I have to be paid to use it. I use Mac for fun and for free Posted Image

Run it in full window mode for best stability

#7 Prospering_Cheetah

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanoga Park, CA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

I have to agree with OmniDrone. In Win10, I was having a similar problem with full screen mode, changing to full-window has corrected the issue. The earlier comment regards max resolution also sound correct.

#8 Yehat Terminator

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

I know this isn't quite your question, but how has play experience (for those successfully using Crossover) compared to using Bootcamp? My Crossover trial, and currently my MWO port from PortingTeam has left me with a very low frame rate. I'd like to think that running directly in Bootcamp would improve my frame rate: any one able to shed some light on that?

Summed up: does Bootcamp run MWO any smoother than Crossover?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users