#1 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hail Warriors!

I wanted to throw this out there because right now, there is no set date (to my knowledge) of CW3. What would everyone think about warming relations with the Ghost Bears? Setting up matches, trials, blooding their sibkin etc? I know that we will never see the Rasalhague Dominion and I LOVE what the FRR has done and is continuously doing right now bringing victories and territory never before seen by us nor the Clans. Right now, that is the trend and it will end once 228, KCom, MS, etc go back to Clan and 331 and other mercs leave. We will shrink, it is inevitable although we will never die. It's the circle of CW!

I continuously believe and preach that the FRR is the best faction in lore and has the best community in real life and have had nothing but good, respectful games against most of the Bear units and pilots. I am NOT saying to give them any territory. If they want territory, they can take it from other Clans but not the FRR. I am not being a traitor and not spitting on the hard work and dedication of the FRR community and all the good it has done. The vikings established trade routes, colonized, served as bodyguards, had friends, and explored. I can say that they were not xenophobic peoples who waited until others came to open up diplomacy with them that's for sure, but also loved their freedom. If no one messed with that, they're good. Just open up communications is all. If there were a Star League, I'd ask them but there is not. So why not ask what the community thinks about it? What do you think?

Edited by Alec Braca, 21 January 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#2 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:55 AM

View PostAlec Braca, on 21 January 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

The vikings established trade routes, colonized, served as bodyguards, had friends, and explored. I can say that they were not xenophobic peoples who waited until others came to open up diplomacy with them that's for sure, but also loved their freedom. If no one messed with that, they're good. Just open up communications is all. If there were a Star League, I'd ask them but there is not. So why not ask what the community thinks about it? What do you think?

I'm Swedish and very interested in Viking history. I'm proud of that history but to say the Vikings were "not xenophobic" is a bit of a whitewash IMO.

It's true that Vikings were not "xenophobic" in the sense that they were not afraid of other ethnic groups, but they were quite racist and did regard them as inferior to themselves, and whether to enslave, pillage or trade in a given situation was a practical selfish matter rather than one of respect.

If we want to portray a Viking society in the FRR we should combine the pragmatism of trading, diplomacy and casual raiding with an attitude of cheerful superiority and contempt for the weaklings of the other factions. The following should be framed as roleplaying that mindset:

Respect from the FRR should be gained through a display of strength, if the Ghost bears don't stand up to our warriors in the actual matches then what respect do they really deserve?

When the FRR were grinded down to a few planets in the first phase of CW, did we let that curb our spirits or give up in any way? No, we stood the tide, we liked it, we used it to filter out the weaklings and build a strong community.

When the same thing happened to the Ghost bears they whimpered in a corner, their units gave up collectively and the whole faction folded like so much wet paper. Is that the kind of community we want to see as a prospective ally?

My longhouse is served by thralls captured from all the factions, and I have to say that the ghost bears were some of the easiest to take. They do make good workers with their northers physiology combined with being bred for obedience, but respect? Puh...lease, not until their faction community and units show some goddamn resolve!

The Jade falcons have earned some respect at this point, the other clans not so much.

Edited by Sjorpha, 22 January 2016 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 22 January 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

I'm Swedish and very interested in Viking history. I'm proud of that history but to say the Vikings were "not xenophobic" is a bit of a whitewash IMO.

It's true that Vikings were not "xenophobic" in the sense that they were not afraid of other ethnic groups, but they were quite racist and did regard them as inferior to themselves, and whether to enslave, pillage or trade in a given situation was a practical selfish matter rather than one of respect.

If we want to portray a Viking society in the FRR we should combine the pragmatism of trading, diplomacy and casual raiding with an attitude of cheerful superiority and contempt for the weaklings of the other factions. The following should be framed as roleplaying that mindset:

Respect from the FRR should be gained through a display of strength, if the Ghost bears don't stand up to our warriors in the actual matches then what respect do they really deserve?

When the FRR were grinded down to a few planets in the first phase of CW, did we let that curb our spirits or give up in any way? No, we stood the tide, we liked it, we used it to filter out the weaklings and build a strong community.

When the same thing happened to the Ghost bears they whimpered in a corner, their units gave up collectively and the whole faction folded like so much wet paper. Is that the kind of community we want to see as a prospective ally?

My longhouse is served by thralls captured from all the factions, and I have to say that the ghost bears were some of the easiest to take. They do make good workers with their northers physiology combined with being bred for obedience, but respect? Puh...lease, not until their faction community and units show some goddamn resolve!

The Jade falcons have earned some respect at this point, the other clans not so much.

I am of Swedish descent but not Swedish and have taken to going to school specifically to teach northern Europe eventually. I just find it that interesting and how it had such a huge impact on the world throughout the ages.

Yeah I will have to agree with you on basically all points so thank you for your contribution, but IMO I have not really had any negative experiences with the Ghost Bears in general. I am not everyone so I am obviously biased. Unless they have insulted us recently, I have no idea what their view is as of right now.

The was cheering for the Falcons to be brought down to their initial staging world but we all know how that has gone so far. The Falcons I do respect the most in battlefield prowess of all the Clans. I think the Bears have potential but are afraid to see the light and take some territory from the Clans instead of us but I think it also has to do with attack lane numbers.

Anyone else?

#4 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostAlec Braca, on 21 January 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

Hail Warriors!

... and 331 and other mercs leave. We will shrink, it is inevitable although we will never die. It's the circle of CW!

wow. Thats nice. The 331 is on loyalist contract and afaik it will stay on it. When the Clans took Terra and slowd down on fighting FRR, we went on a short trip through Inner Sphere to farm Mechbays, but we were there each time FRR shrunk down to a handfull of Planet. We were fighting by your side, never left for the "winning Team" showing more loyality then any of those cloned space {Godwin's Law}, which coopeeration you are looking for. Good to know who your friends are...

If there is an official attempt, then the Ghostbeards ale reaching out for coopertion when they are the weakest. Why dindt they reach out when they were strong? They were not even trying to slow down other clans by trying to fight them, no they went for the suposeddly easy pray they saw in the Inner Sphere Troops.
I hope the FRR shows as much wisdom in choosing their friends as they shown ferrocity fighting kerenskys spawn of evil.

God I hate clans.

Edited by Grauluchs, 22 January 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#5 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostGrauluchs, on 22 January 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

wow. Thats nice. The 331 is on loyalist contract and afaik it will stay on it. When the Clans took Terra and slowd down on fighting FRR, we went on a short trip through Inner Sphere to farm Mechbays, but we were there each time FRR shrunk down to a handfull of Planet. We were fighting by your side, never left for the "winning Team" showing more loyality then any of those cloned space {Godwin's Law}, which coopeeration you are looking for. Good to know who your friends are...

If there is an official attempt, then the Ghostbeards ale reaching out for coopertion when they are the weakest. Why dindt they reach out when they were strong? They were not even trying to slow down other clans by trying to fight them, no they went for the suposeddly easy pray they saw in the Inner Sphere Troops.
I hope the FRR shows as much wisdom in choosing their friends as they shown ferrocity fighting kerenskys spawn of evil.

God I hate clans.

I didn't mean to insult you or the 331st. I didn't know you were a loyalist team but I was NOT implying that you went CLAN. If you interpreted that as such then I should have been clearer. The first time I met you guys was many months ago when you came from another house. I don't know your rotation patterns or even if you were a loyalist unit, this is new to me. Look back at other posts and you'll see that I have shown nothing but respect for you guys when you came around. As you can see I am farming mechbays just as many other units and we are coming back to the FRR in a few days as well.

I am sorry but I have not dropped with 331 in many months or even seen you guys but that does not mean you were fighting with the FRR right? All I have to work on is when I have seen you and that is only recently but that is from my perspective only.

It does make me wonder about why the Ghost Bears didn't secure other planets from other Clans instead of attacking only the FRR though. Good point.

I hope the FRR shows as much wisdom in choosing their friends as they shown ferrocity fighting kerenskys spawn of evil

They do. I am not a spokesperson for the FRR nor my unit. I know the FRR to be the most competent faction there is out there since CW1. If you are still mad about a mistake then I don't know what to tell you but I am supremely grateful that wherever you have gone you have been fighting the enemies of the FRR. <o

Edited by Alec Braca, 22 January 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#6 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Im not mad Alec, I know you ment nothing bad. Im was just horryfied for a moment by the intent to feed a beast which raison d'etre is to kill the brave Warriors of the FRR, "take their lawn" and to enslave them. Their goal is and always will be Terra. The Frr will always stand in their way. They may want the "Dominion", but my impression was that the spacevikings dont want to be dominated.

Im not the spokesman of the 331 either, Im just the one in charge to hate the Clans.

ps.

View PostAlec Braca, on 22 January 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

... I was NOT implying that you went CLAN.

we went Clan for a short while to farm the mechbays, but we refused to fight the FRR

Edited by Grauluchs, 22 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#7 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostGrauluchs, on 22 January 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

Im not mad Alac, I know you ment nothing bad. Im was just horryfied for a moment by the intent to feed a beast which raison d'etre is to kill the brave Warriors of the FRR, "take their lawn" and to enslave them. Their goal is and always will be Terra. The Frr will always stand in their way. They may want the "Dominion", but my impression was that the spacevikings dont want to be dominated.

Im not the spokesman of the 331 either, Im just the one in charge to hate the Clans.

Oh ok. I was like NOOOO!!!! I understand. Yeah, looking back on it I can definitivly see how I came across as "lets let the Ghost Bears take our lawn." This was not my intent lol. I love what the FRR is doing now and when I look at the lore, the other Clans take a big massive dump no the men and women of the FRR which boils my blood. But that is lore and not CW. I do not think there will ever be "established Clan OZ's" like the ones after the Clans were stopped after Tukayyid but if there were, I would not be saying this lol. No the space vikings do not want to be dominated, I may just nix this thread.

Just from a lore perspective the Bears saved us from the WoB and have more of a IS mentality as they years went on that was nothing like the rest of the Clans with the exception of maybe the Snow Ravens and the Outworlds Alliance. BUT again, I remind myself that that is lore and this is MWO with real people with very little canon behind it.

So, we will be back in a few days from House Davion skirmishing with the DC and Capellans. I am just sad that we cannot go on the offensive but do plenty of defensive drops with, and for, the FRR against the Clans. It'll be nice to be home and with all of that turquoise-blue territory. :D

BTW does anyone know what is up with the world of Persistence? Take a look at it in the CW map. <o 331st and all units who have fought for the FRR. May our axes be sharp and our mead horns full. Skol

#8 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostAlec Braca, on 22 January 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Just from a lore perspective the Bears saved us from the WoB and have more of a IS mentality as they years went on that was nothing like the rest of the Clans with the exception of maybe the Snow Ravens and the Outworlds Alliance. BUT again, I remind myself that that is lore and this is MWO with real people with very little canon behind it.

As the official BT Nerd of the 331 Im aware of the lore. I woldnt call someone who has beaten me down breaking my legs and arms making me unable to stand up for myself a savior. Yeah the GB took on the Wob, but only after the Uncle Chandy told them the biggest lie about remnants of the Wolverine joining Wob.

#9 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

The hell do you mean the WOlverines joining the Wob?!

*head explodes*

I'm taking a quick trip to Sarna.net

Edited by Alec Braca, 22 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#10 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

http://www.sarna.net.../Clan_Wolverine

Word of Blake cabal

During the Word of Blake Jihad, Chandrasekhar Kurita would supposedly uncover a series of unconfirmed documents of questionable provenance that apparently revealed the fate of the Wolverines. Indicating the survivors who fled Clan-space indeed reached the Inner Sphere as the so-called "Minnesota Tribe", the document claims that ComStar, rather than losing the trail met and offered the Wolverines refuge. Upon reaching Terra and settling on Mars, while many of the Wolverines were content to merely rest, scientist and leader of the exiled Clan's civilian population Peter Marillier forged a plan that would transform the Wolverines into a secret faction within ComStar The so-called Blood that would first aid then co-opt the organization from within, directing it to ultimate dominion over both the Inner Sphere and Clans.[19]
Despite a lack of any solid proof and large question marks as to its providence, Chandrasekhar Kurita and Devlin Stone would pass this document to Clan Ghost Bear in 3074, taking the Bears by complete surprise. While previously staying aloof from the maelstrom of the Jihad, the apparent revelation that their most sworn enemy were the driving force behind the Word of Blake prompted them to plunge full-force into the conflict. Despite Ghost Bear scientists genetically testing the remains of every Blakist defeated to try and authenticate the report, no conclusive evidence was ever found linking the Word of Blake to Clan Wolverine. [20]

#11 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

Well...this is a mind-duck...my favorite clan because they told Nicholas Kerensky to get bent joined the WoB. Maybe it was that they joined Comstar and eventually spread out into the organization. I don't think all of them were ready to join with the Wobbies. Hopefully.....that sucks...

Edited by Alec Braca, 22 January 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#12 Grauluchs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

They did not join WoB. It was a rumor made up to manipulate the GB. And those idiots even fell for it.
NIcolas Kerensky did agood job in breeding mindless, easy to manipulate, warmongers.

Edited by Grauluchs, 22 January 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#13 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostGrauluchs, on 22 January 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

They did not join WoB. It was a rumor made up to manipulate the GB. And those idiots even fell for it.
NIcolas Kerensky did agood job in breeding mindless, easy to manipulate, warmongers.

Yeah I mean before there was even a WoB Comstar could not of kept something like that a secret from themselves never mind the IS. But yeah Clan Wolverine and the 331st RBR, cool stuff. Too bad the Clans blamed them for something they didn't do and killed many for it. Kerensky would be spinning in his grave if he found out what the remains of his SLDF became. I'll give it to the Ghost Bears though, they knew how to build warships.

Edited by Alec Braca, 23 January 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#14 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

Anything we can do to add a bit of spice, background, character, theater, etc. is all to the good, even if the role I play is adamantly opposed to whatever bit of faction character being proposed. Example I've really been enjoying what is going on between Marik, Liao and various merc factions (see the forum posts). Makes a good story. Gives motivation to their players and encourages them to care about what is going on regardless of which "side" they may be on. As to Alec's proposal, my "character" will never work willingly with any filthy clanner (I' will be happy to be salty during any communal drop with GB)! But I love the idea and the motivation behind it.

#15 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

Yeah I mean what is happening "down south" is pretty awesome. I didn't know what they did all day without the Clan front. I am really wanting CW3 to come into play though and to see what the new rule/options are. Beware though, because as always, there will be new ways to "game the game" so watch out for people with bad intentions. I am pretty sure that once CW3 is initiated, any agreements that we had on the table with other factions may be reset during the supposed chaos. We'll see.

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

I'm all for chaos...as long as I can spin it for flavor and motivation. I'd like to start a group of like minded folks to try and play a role (not necessarily a role-play character but a group role) but CW doesn't really encourage or allow it (e.g. defenders of planet X...then planet X is not in the que for extended periods of time. Dedicated clan X fighters, then no border or available planets of clan X to hit, etc.). As it stands the only real background flavor the game offers (other than the faction identifiers) is what we as players bring to the game and so what those folks "down south" are doing makes me a bit envious.

I feel like we had a bit of this going before the last reset... when the clans along with MS et al were hitting the FRR hard. Felt like the CW matches "mattered" for lack of a better word.

#17 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yeah canon is optional IRT geography. Now because of a number of different factors the Clans are feeling what the FRR has felt since the invasion. The other houses have not even come close to losing everything like we have. To me that is a source of pride. It is good to be back home in the FRR. Cheers warriors!

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Rasalhague is not really Space Vikings, it is more Modern Scandinavian in culture and politics.

Ghost Bears are not wimpering, just the way they are due to low population and all the new folk around. When I was GB recently, I found a lot of new people in the Clan usually defending other Clan worlds, rarely a unit on. A couple of times, I found a unit but mainly new people defending worlds. Tried once to get a group of 12 to attack, they did it once, lost to a unit and went back to defending. Compare to Davion recently, got a 12 man of PUGs who were willing to keep attacking for a bit. So it is mostly the new players in a low population Faction that will just not attack, don't forget half the Clan trials stink.

What purpose does taking territory from other Clans serve? Take what, 1 Wolf planet and 1 Jaguar, then still stalled out with nowhere to go but FRR, no point at all.

You cannot really blame the Bears or any Faction, no control of attack lanes, no incentive to play other than grinding Achievement rewards that makes people switch Factions more.

Lore aside, whenever CW3 comes along then there would be incentive for a FRR-Bear alliance. Loyalists could agree to allow the Bear to aim their attack lane towards another IS Faction and/or attack a Clan, right now there is just no point when all you got is CRFW, Communnity Reward Farming Warfare.

Both worlds Persistance and The Edge have Clan symbols for unknown reasons and no one can attack them. They may appear to shift into another Faction's territory if something nearby is conquered but they never change who owns them.

#19 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostAlec Braca, on 25 January 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Yeah I mean what is happening &quot;down south&quot; is pretty awesome. I didn't know what they did all day without the Clan front. I am really wanting CW3 to come into play though and to see what the new rule/options are. Beware though, because as always, there will be new ways to &quot;game the game&quot; so watch out for people with bad intentions. I am pretty sure that once CW3 is initiated, any agreements that we had on the table with other factions may be reset during the supposed chaos. We'll see.

My ears are burning... someone talking about space bacon, tin foil hats, and, of course, awesome hair?

#20 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:07 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 25 January 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Rasalhague is not really Space Vikings, it is more Modern Scandinavian in culture and politics.

Ghost Bears are not wimpering, just the way they are due to low population and all the new folk around. When I was GB recently, I found a lot of new people in the Clan usually defending other Clan worlds, rarely a unit on. A couple of times, I found a unit but mainly new people defending worlds. Tried once to get a group of 12 to attack, they did it once, lost to a unit and went back to defending. Compare to Davion recently, got a 12 man of PUGs who were willing to keep attacking for a bit. So it is mostly the new players in a low population Faction that will just not attack, don't forget half the Clan trials stink.

What purpose does taking territory from other Clans serve? Take what, 1 Wolf planet and 1 Jaguar, then still stalled out with nowhere to go but FRR, no point at all.

You cannot really blame the Bears or any Faction, no control of attack lanes, no incentive to play other than grinding Achievement rewards that makes people switch Factions more.

Lore aside, whenever CW3 comes along then there would be incentive for a FRR-Bear alliance. Loyalists could agree to allow the Bear to aim their attack lane towards another IS Faction and/or attack a Clan, right now there is just no point when all you got is CRFW, Communnity Reward Farming Warfare.

Both worlds Persistance and The Edge have Clan symbols for unknown reasons and no one can attack them. They may appear to shift into another Faction's territory if something nearby is conquered but they never change who owns them.

Yes, you are absolutely right about the FRR being a modern Scandinavian-style culture. We just (at least I do) have a viking spirit of exploration, love for a battle, and eagerness for a challenge. If you join the FRR because it was easy then you are in the wrong faction.

The Bears are having a rough time and I don't know if they'll ever come back. I hope they do because more battles and challenges for everyone but I am just not willing to let them go through the FRR. If they wanted to go through the Clans, whether it is 1 planet or not, I will not object and I in fact encourage it. Thank you for your information IRT your recent tour with the Bears, I have not fought for them so your insight was helpful.

Besides lore, an FRR-Bear Alliance would make sense. With no canon or fixed territory enforced, I do not think that will happen, even with CW3. But that is something that the unit leaders of the Kungsarme need to talk about and that is way above my pay grade.

Also, thank you for the info on the strange "unclaimed" Clan worlds. I always wondered about that. Maybe they would be new "homeworlds" for the Steel Vipers, Diamond Sharks, and Nova Cats if they were ever injected.

View PostMovinTarget, on 25 January 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

My ears are burning... someone talking about space bacon, tin foil hats, and, of course, awesome hair?

Umm you are talking about the Free Hasslehoff Republic, awesome hair is sacred and must constantly be striven for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users