So This Game Allows You To Cheat?

27 replies to this topic

#1 x x x GOBLIN x x x

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

Macros are totally cheating since is not implemented on the game people with the knowledge to use them will have advantage fromn the ones that don't know the existence of the software (not in the game, or even informed as a legal option) and you guys there wasting money on this kind of game? ""Competitive"" hun, this realy turned me off since i was faced against people who used this while i didn't modified nothing in my chain fire with further softwares, shame on this game.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

oh boy, here we go. OP this is an old topic and much has been written. If looking for more, type into your favorite search engine:

MWO Macros cheating

or something similar. Enjoy.

#3 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

Yep, cheating to the max.

Prepare your flame shield for all the cheater defenders to play semantics with you to try and justify it to themselves.

#4 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:47 AM

A few things:

1.) Macros can help with certain weapon loadouts, but they won't make or break you performance. Knowing how to position and work with your team, how to isolate weak components, which 'mechs and builds you can go toe-to-toe with and which ones you should avoid, how to manage your heat, and generally how to make the most of your 'mech, the map, and the enemy team's mistakes, are what will determine how you do. If you're good with all of that, macros can be a nice additional feature I suppose; I for one can't be bothered with them.

2.) Macros do not actually add functionality, therefore PGI does not regard their use as cheating; anything you can do with a macro, you can also do manually. Many prefer it that way, as macros can be a double-edged sword. Yes, they help with workload, but they can also lock you into inflexible patterns.

3.) If you'd searched for MWO macros, you would have seen that they are actually easy to find and make use of. If you feel like macros really give you an advantage and know that they are allowed, but you're too lazy to make use of them, you don't get to complain about others who do.

Edited by habu86, 22 January 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#5 Catalina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

This thread has nothing to do with help for beginners. Moved to this section.

#6 x x x GOBLIN x x x

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

Implement the option in game, or at least inform players that this option is available and legal in game, if it just reach the forums and a part of the community, well, this is cheating since isn't in the game, there is no arguments, this is a fact.

#7 Sizzles

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

I didn't understand how people thought it was cheating back when this first came up. And I still don't now.

Why shouldn't we be able to fire our guns as fast as the cycle?

Edited by Sizzles, 22 January 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#8 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

View Postx x x GOBLIN x x x, on 22 January 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Implement the option in game, or at least inform players that this option is available and legal in game, if it just reach the forums and a part of the community, well, this is cheating since isn't in the game, there is no arguments, this is a fact.

The option is available to anyone with a gaming keyboard or mouse. Importantly. the devs have ruled that it is not cheating, so claims that it is cheating will get you nowhere.

#9 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

View Postx x x GOBLIN x x x, on 22 January 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Macros are totally cheating since is not implemented on the game people with the knowledge to use them will have advantage fromn the ones that don't know the existence of the software (not in the game, or even informed as a legal option) and you guys there wasting money on this kind of game? ""Competitive"" hun, this realy turned me off since i was faced against people who used this while i didn't modified nothing in my chain fire with further softwares, shame on this game.

Macros do not go outside the realm of possibility for in game chain fire as pressing the fire button again will get around the half a second down time on chain fire. What macros do bring is stability, BUT most builds that need macros to work are normally ac 2 spam because of the ridiculously low cool down. Most of these builds are high sustained DPS but not high burst ex: 6 UAC/5 dire vs 6 LBXAC/2 dire w/ macros - in a heads up fight point blank the UACs will out dmg the LBXs BUT the UACs are much hotter and will need to stop firing before the LBX build at which point the dps will start to even out.

TLDR: Macros look worse than they actually are, also tons of posts already covering this argument, as well as PGIs stance on macros.

~Dark

#10 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

Macro's are entirely possible in-game by setting weapons groups and chain fire a certain way. It effectively does the same thing, just without the convenience of having macro's actually implemented. So there, the functionality is in the game, who cares if someone utilizes a third party software to make setting it up easier. The application for all Razer peripherals has a macros tab, that should be a testament for how common it is for games to allow them!

Build a 3+ AC/2 mech, setup a quick macro, and trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Edited by t Khrist, 22 January 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

N B4 Lock and 500 Pages

#12 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

You've identified something you feel is wrong. Now how do you propose to stop it.

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 23 January 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

You've identified something you feel is wrong. Now how do you propose to stop it.

He's going to visit the home of every player that has a macro-capable mouse and cut their cords using scissors.

For wireless mice, he'll smash them with a hammer.

This endeavor of his is expected to take a couple of years and much money, so he has started a GoFundMe page.

Please everyone, help him fight the mean macro peoples! Posted Image

Edited by Nightmare1, 23 January 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Macros are totally cheating since is not implemented on the game people with the knowledge to use them will have advantage fromn the ones that don't

by your logic having a better PC is also cheating, as those playing on an older Laptop cannot get a decent frame rate, as is having a better ping, I have an unfair advantage with the capability of less than 40 ping (on the EU server) compared to Australians most of whom cannot get below 200 on any server, but is that cheeting?

For the record I do not use macros and am not a competitive player, I just do not see how macros are cheating if better equipment or better ping are not.

#15 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 January 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

by your logic having a better PC is also cheating, as those playing on an older Laptop cannot get a decent frame rate, as is having a better ping, I have an unfair advantage with the capability of less than 40 ping (on the EU server) compared to Australians most of whom cannot get below 200 on any server, but is that cheeting?

For the record I do not use macros and am not a competitive player, I just do not see how macros are cheating if better equipment or better ping are not.

You scum! I can't get 40 ping even on the Oceanic server! PGI, I demand you ban all players with a ping below 140, they are clearly cheating by being closer to the server.

#16 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

The most ridiculous thing about the "chain-fire 1337 hack" the OP is complaining about is that it's not even as effective as purely in-game solutions could be. As mentioned in the lead to the video, AC2s don't really suffer from heat nearly as much as other weapons. Instead of chain-firing them with a macro, you can just group them together and hold down the fire key to fire them all simultaneously. Does it look as cool? No. But those three shots land together, rather than spreading around as your target twists and moves, keeping the damage clumped together. And they fire as soon as the reload is complete, ensuring you're still getting the maximum DPS out of the weapon. Sure, that spread isn't a lot with such a high fire rate, but it is literally the only mechanical difference between firing with the macro as mentioned and just hammering with all ACs at once, and it's a negative difference.

Did I mention this game heavily rewards pinpoint convergence, to the point that the devs have worked hard to ensure that PPCs/Gauss Rifles/AC20s don't all land at the same time, and that boating weapons of the same type to ensure they have identical lead times is one of the best ways around this?

#17 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:50 AM

Macros should be considered cheating if they bring an advantage. In some games they do (where they increase your dps by eliminating the time between the moment when you CAN refire and when you actually CAN refire, due to not being a goddamn robot). In MWO they don't. You can use them for chainfire tricks that can be achieved with what you already have in the game anyway (want a neat AC full burst chainfire? bound your ACs to 2-3 chainfire groups and then press those groups one after the other and hold - voila, full dps fire barrage supreme). That plus alpha is better than chainfire most of the time anyway.

And don't even get me started on gauss macros. They can be helpful only to REALLY unskilled players/ total gauss beginners, while for anyone at least midly skilled in gauss they do more bad than good. If you set the macro to automatically charge and shoot the gauss you voloutarily deprive yourself of ability to cancel the charge up and recharge quickly when the enemy hides/ jumps away from your twist range/moves faster than your twist speed/runs between obstacles and is visible only 50% of the time. This means wasted ammo and getting that 5s cooldown instead of a 0,5 second cooldown. You gotta be really bad with gauss to actually gain any improvement from macros.
Constant autocharge button set and a button to cancel it and shoot the gauss? Not a bad thing, but still noting more than holding the button constantly yourself, with the same advantages and disadvantages.

TL;DR - MWO is not some dumb clickfest shooter. Here, the most important thing is when to shoot and where to shoot. Clicking fast provides you with almost no advantages, setting macros to click for you do more harm than good.

DISCLAIMER: I don't use macros.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 25 January 2016 - 04:50 AM.

#18 tenchugecko

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:44 AM

i use a macro for tag on off on a gamepad

cause i am no octopuss, even on my razor sabertooth

an cause i think it should be an option.

i dont mind makro's, good players will not gain anything real in this game, apart from rapidfire dakka, and that should be an option aswell, and is not 'competitive'

OP is angry at itself.

#19 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 22 January 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

Yep, cheating to the max.

Prepare your flame shield for all the cheater defenders to play semantics with you to try and justify it to themselves.

Did you know that mods are available in World of Tanks that are actually cheats, but they've been given the green light by the devs of WoT? Worse yet, the devs don't point to the mod resource while an astounding number of veteran players use them, making it totally unfair for new players who aren't using them because they don't even know that they exist yet. Macros are nothing, especially compared to what's available in WoT.

In the video that the OP posted, that macro can be done manually by setting each autocannon to its own weapon group and pressing each weapon group key in quick succession. Macros don't allow you to circumvent your weapons' cooldown period nor do they make you more accurate. PGI has ruled that macros are okay, so deal with it.

If you want to go the lore route, even with the whole LosTech deal I don't hesitate for a second to think that any mechwarrior or engineer in the Battletech universe worth his salt would know how to program a simple macro into his fire control system.

What's next? Mice with programmable keys should be prohibited? Gamepads with programmable keys should be prohibited? Setting your own custom hotkeys on your vanilla keyboard should be prohibited? Joysticks should be prohibited? Get a grip.

USING MACRO SOFTWARE
Keybind macro software and hardware mechanisms are permitted for use as long as such mechanisms still require manual input to initiate and do not fully automate gameplay.

https://mwomercs.com/conduct - scroll to the bottom.

tl;dr - mad cuz bad

Edited by 0111101, 19 February 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users