Mouse Button Issues

17 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Rat Bastard

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

I'm using a Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse and I'm having problems with the game only seeing mouse buttons one and two. At first I thought that it was just something wrong with the keybinds, so I read up on how to change your keybinds then went into settings and was able to get one and two to work different stuff, but nothing for the other four buttons on the mouse. I use this mouse with other games without any problems, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the mouse... Any ideas or insight that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

I take it you have the logitech software installed on your PC? Does that mouse have onboard memory by chance? Any chance MWO is seeing a different profile?

#3 Evil Rat Bastard

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Golrar,
Thank you for your reply.
I do have the Logitech software on my computer. Checking it, I'm not seeing any additional profiles. Looking up the specs on the mouse, there isn't anything indicating that it has onboard memory. Reading your questions gave me the not-so-bright idea of resetting it back to factory - it FUBAR'd my settings, but it still doesn't work right with MWO... I have the option of setting buttons to specific keystrokes so I tried setting one of the buttons to 3, which has worked in other games, but it's not working here. I'm open to any suggestions.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

Just copying evilc quote from another thread.

I do want to say that

The problem is caused because in the Logitech software, you need to set the button to "Generic Button".
Leaving it on the default of "Browser Back" / "Browser Forward" does not work with many games - you will see it work intermittently.

As mentioned above, the other option is to bind the mouse to the game key, not the game to the mouse button.

It is also worth mentioning that with non-gaming logitech mice (ie using SetPoint), it is impossible to have the button mapped to "Generic Button" in per-application settings, if the default setting is not "Generic Button". (At least it was the last time I used SetPoint)

Unless you use the side buttons for browser back and forward in windows, then just set the side buttons to "Generic Button" in the default profile

This is how I have my two Logitech mice setup. Even after the assistance offered, I have not found a thread where a player replied back on whether or not any of the suggestions worked. There are replies from other players who said they are having the same issue but no clarification if they actually tried anything suggested in the threads, then they too never reply back.

Through testing this is what I did that worked.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 January 2016 - 06:21 AM, said:

Weapon Group 3 and 4 in game are linked by default to Mouse buttons 4(Back) and 5 (Forward), as in browser Back a screen and Forward the next screen.

For Weapon Group 5, set it as a single keystroke in the mouse profile then set it in -game. Also set the Logitech to the respective Back/Forward command. Then double check settings in game.

As a reminder, it may take you some fast clicks in game before it will allow you to change the keybind. And double check that you dont click too much where it sets those binds to 1/left mouse click and 2/right mouse click.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...mance-mouse-mx/

For the player in this link, the buttons would not always register in game.
http://mwomercs.com/...mance-mx-mouse/

http://mwomercs.com/...ng-drop-in-fps/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 January 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#6 Evil Rat Bastard

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Tarl,
I followed the links you provided and found that switching them to generic worked - for some reason, keystroke assignment didn't do the job.
Thank you VERY much for the help!

#7 Zgragnok

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

Thank you for the information everyone, I too was able to get the mouse to operate properly using the generic button setting.

THANKS!!

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

View PostZgragnok, on 06 February 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

Thank you for the information everyone, I too was able to get the mouse to operate properly using the generic button setting.

THANKS!!

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for replying back that the generic button setting worked!!!

#9 KodeRed

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

I have setpoint and I got the generic to work as well thanks to this thread.
I also had the problem with key binding.
Second problem is not fixed and would like help on.
With Setpoint running I cannot zoom the big map in the match play area.
I exit setpoint and restart the game and I can zoom fine.
I have tried toggling every setting imaginable and I cannot get it to work without exit first of Setpoint.
I have Windows 10 and the latest Setpoint to date. M705 mouse which is not the problem...

#10 KodeRed

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

I fixed the problem followed one of those links and run as admin worked for the Zoom problem.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

Anyone have Microsoft mouse? I have similar problem. The third button, technically the scroll, was assigned to some window related sneak-peak thing. Even though it did it's stuff only in Windows, not when running full screen games, MWO could not bind into it. Even after I disabled it.

This I managed to fix from the mouse control panel by setting the botton to act as middle mouse button, because it has such an option.

But, the mouse has two more buttons, on it's sides. The mouse application doesn't have buttons 4 or 5 available as "commands", from it I can either just disable them, or assign some special commands to them. Either way MWO doesn't recognize them being pressed if I try to bind them into anything. Really weird to have such buttons when you can mainly tie them into special commands like copy/paste or start some application.

Sooo, is there some generic application for mouse buttoms I could use instead of that Microsoft thing?

Edited by Teer5, 26 July 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

First, is your mouse a 2 button mouse with the scroll wheel?

https://www.highrez....ttoncontrol.htm

On this one, you could set the Left/Right Mouse tilt to a specific Group Number.

On your Mouse settings, does it have a BACK and FORWARD commands? The BACK command MWO treats at Group 3, the FORWARD command as Group 4, as in moving your browser direction back to the previous page, or forward to the next page.

You also would spend very little for a mouse with more than 2 buttons + scroll wheel, simply to get the additional functionality of the side buttons. If you are able to, visit a brick and mortar store to get a feel of some of the mice.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 July 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#13 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

@Teer5: I have generally been able to solve similar problems using AutoHotkey.
Try following the instructions here to see if AHK can see those buttons being pressed.
If AHK can remap those buttons, the world is your oyster.

Edited by evilC, 31 July 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 26 July 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

First, is your mouse a 2 button mouse with the scroll wheel?

https://www.highrez....ttoncontrol.htm

On this one, you could set the Left/Right Mouse tilt to a specific Group Number.

On your Mouse settings, does it have a BACK and FORWARD commands? The BACK command MWO treats at Group 3, the FORWARD command as Group 4, as in moving your browser direction back to the previous page, or forward to the next page.

You also would spend very little for a mouse with more than 2 buttons + scroll wheel, simply to get the additional functionality of the side buttons. If you are able to, visit a brick and mortar store to get a feel of some of the mice.

Yes, the middle mouse button was pressing down the scroll wheel. Two buttoms plus scroll wheel which also tilts left and right on top, plus one button on each side.
http://images10.newe...-105-368-04.jpg

The side buttons had those awkward back&forward page on browser functions, so I've had them disabled right away as they could not be binded in the mouse control program to buttoms 4&5, unlike the middle mouse buttom could which also had some useless Windows function originally.

Disabling them made it so that the MWO could not see them pressed either, probably not by other programs as well. I now assigned them back to those browser functions and sure enough MWO is able to bind them, though I can only use one of them as the other is difficult to press while having a steady grip on the mouse.

That one extra buttom helps a lot, I can have left and right hand weapons on left and right buttoms and then third group, typically tag laser, to the other side buttom, which allows shooting LRMs and tagging the enemy at the same time. Previously I've often used the middle mouse button/scroll wheel on my previous mouses to open new pages as background tabs in browser, but on this mouse the pressing of scroll wheel is so rigid, that it's not convinient, it accidentally scrolls so easily while trying to press it and then I miss the link.

So thanks for mentioning this, as I had those special functions disabled I could have never figured out to reanable them.

I previously read about tutorial using the Autokey to make advanced weapon groups, I might look into it but now I think these three buttons should be about enough. Ah, it looks like the one on your sig evilC.

Edited by Teer5, 08 August 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

The side buttons had those awkward back&forward page on browser functions, so I've had them disabled right away as they could not be binded in the mouse control program to buttoms 4&5

Yes they can, you just need to set the side buttons to "Generic Button" in SetPoint.

#16 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostevilC, on 10 August 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

Yes they can, you just need to set the side buttons to "Generic Button" in SetPoint.

Yes for Logitech mouses but I have Microsoft one, it doesn't allow those side buttons to be "generic". I also noticed now I can't go back to previous page using backspace, because that function is tied to the mouse side buttom, so I've actually started to use the mouse button for it.

#17 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

Try seeing here to remap "unknown" buttons on your mouse: https://autohotkey.c...htm#SpecialKeys

Or you can try my UCR app, that may be able to detect it properly.

Edited by evilC, 16 August 2016 - 05:07 AM.

#18 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

I have also had mouse button problems or I should say problems with my mouse while playing MWO

my problem is I am such a gaming knob most of your answers fly over my head

so what happens is pressing mouse button 3 does nothing if I am already holding mouse button 2 down

or if I hold mouse button 3 down and hold it mouse button 2 does not work (fire)

does this sound like same problem or is OP problem completely different?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users