Has Anyone Ever Won While Playing For The Clans?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Frosty7

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Serious question here: Has anybody ever actually won a community war match while playing for the clans? Maybe a better way to phrase this question would be does anyone have a more or less even ratio of victory and defeat?

I have never won a single battle and I've only ever played for Wolf. I am going to put my reputation as a sane and mentally stable person on the line here and say that clan mechs might just be really bad and underpowered: Every game I've played, clan mechs get stomped into the dirt with horribly disproportionate kill/death ratios. Specifically, we can't kill the first wave of IS mechs until we are on our second wave and that's only because we have fresh mechs and they don't. The fact that there are maybe 7 clan held planets in total is pretty hard evidence that I am correct, which is sad because I was hoping faction play would feel as brutal and desperate for both factions as it did in the official lore. This is just boring, and I imagine it's even more boring for the IS since they have no opposition to speak of whatsoever.

Thoughts?

#2 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

I played an alt for a couple of weeks. I dropped enough matches to buy 2 EBJs with just CW so quite A few.

Pugging for CJF I won almost every single match. I'm about to go play CJF as my main where I have a good meta deck, mastered with modules and it will likely go better.

Conversely pugging for Davion during CW2 I had the same experience you have. Davions was almost all pugs and the unit members playing were pretty scattered and disorganized while our enemies were coordinated.

Try another faction for a bit. Wolf seems to be in a bad place right now.

#3 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

If i would say I never ever saw a Clan Team winning in MWO CW would that be trolling ? Posted Image Okey then I did not say that...

It comes down to the Question who is the PUG Team and who is the organized Team right now. But Russ wants to split Queues soon so PUGs will meet PUGs and Premades will meet Premades.

Should have done that before Steam Launch already.

Edited by Joe Decker, 24 January 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#4 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

I don't know. I've been on the winning side fighting for the clans on more than one occasion over the past month or so - and I'm very new to CW so there's an element of skill (lack of it and unfamiliarity with the maps) involved.

So I would say that it IS possible to win fighting for the clans if you've got good drop callers and a team that's communicating effectively.

However, it's a case-by-case thing. Your post seems to indicate that you focus mostly on kills vice meeting the mission (whether that be assault or defense of Omega) - that's not always going to be a possibility for the clans when you can expect to see several Atlas's dropping in a Match versus Warhawks or the occasional Dire Wolf - both of which have pretty squishy hit boxes in comparison.

Every match we've won has either been through successful fire focusing or a progressive strategy that allowed us to take Omega. I can say almost definitively that anytime we expressly went toe-to-toe trying to kill the IS team off we've always lost.

That said, the better teams right now are definitely IS - and they've got 24 hour coverage whereas a unit like the one I play for can get some wins, but the next day we'll log on just to see that it's all gone.

Bottom line in my opinion - not enough clanners making a serious effort. We can all complain about nerf this and nerf that - but skilled pilots on a well coordinated team can still be competitive - even clans.

#5 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thought experiment - if -MS- and 228 decided tomorrow to revert to Clan from IS do you think they'd have any trouble taking (or keeping) worlds?

The might find it more challenging - but I doubt they'd be unable to make it happen.

#6 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

-MS- is already Clan right now.

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

While DW was clan-side (which we mainly have been), we've had a pretty outstanding win/loss record against IS teams. Bigger teams usually took the planets, but our w/l ratio was probably about 5:1 or so. We recently switched to IS and it's about the same for us on this side.

#8 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Any idea if -MS- is playing a lot of CW? I'd be interested in hearing how they are doing.

The guys over a CGBI seem to be waiting for CW3 on the whole. That's a big net loss to Ghost Bear capability.

xWiredx,

That's evidence in support of my experience - it's possible to win one-on-one, maybe even to excel as it sounds like your unit is doing, but without 24/7 coverage, you're just giving your gains away the next time you log on.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

You have never won a match? How long have you been playing?

Are you using trial mechs? Are most of your pug team using trials?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 January 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#10 illudium Q 36

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

45 games in Calf Wolf since January 2nd. Nine wins and six other games that were close. Always dropped as a PUG with my fellow PUGs. No trial mechs, I use a totally leveled Clan drop deck of two Timber Wolves and two Scarecrows. I have modules on all (Advanced Sensors and Radar). We are usually up against premades. On eight occasions we were up against 10, 11 or 12 man units. None of the wins were against Merc Star, AWOL or Kcom.

Many of the well know merc units are with IS right now. They are a tough bunch for us PUGs to take on and win. It's a challenge.

#11 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

a big difference is the quality of the trials. I die a little inside when we get a pug v pug match and half the clan guys are running around in the ebon jag trial 2 lrm 15, 2 uac2, 2 srm6 with not enough ammo for any of them...

the other part is the quality of the opposition. OP try joining in on attacks rather than responding to the call to arms for defense. If you get a medium/large sized group on your side actively ask them if they are using TeamSpeak and whether you can join in for the drop (you'll learn lots doing this as well as possibly even finding a unit to drop with on a permanent basis)

#12 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostFrosty7, on 24 January 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Serious question here: Has anybody ever actually won a community war match while playing for the clans?

Sure, about 95% of played games.
I have been clanner since Tukk2, going to IS for a change now.

#13 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

If you want to PUG, do not go Wolf.

Simple as that.

#14 Lionsroar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:11 AM

We go back and forth between clan and IS. Yes, right now IS has an advantage due to the quirks, (especially the structure quirks) but this is not decisive and can be overcome.

Right now playing Clan, with a 8+ man group we win close to 100% of our matches unless we find 228, KCOM, DERP, NS, or another top group (and those are the best matches). When I pug in CW I win around 50%, it depends on the quality of your teammates and opponent.

Communicate, coordinate, bring good mechs, put good builds on them, play them the way they are designed, and you will be more successful. Let me say it again, bring good mechs with good builds. You don't have to play the meta but it helps.

Teamwork is OP. Try going on one of the TS hubs, Strana, Comstar, etc and find players to drop with. Or drop with an unit. Most units welcome players to stop by and play a few matches, that is how they recruit members. Since you are wolf, try CWI or SWOL.

But don't give up.

#15 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

As Lionsroar already stated. The road to victory is teamwork and advanced planning.
One _can_ play and win using trial mechs. But not against a competent team. The simple lack of consumables limits you quite heavily. Additionally, armour distribution is a major draw-back on most trial mechs. And then there are some really bad trials, like the Ebon Jaguar one.

Most important, communication. Best communication is achieved via teamspeak since you normally prepare _before_ even queuing up! If you don't want to install the free teamspeak client software, be sure to use the in-game voip.
If someone calls a drop, follow the orders. Even the worst drop commander will usually get his drop mates to work together as a team, if they follow orders. And you will achieve a LOT more, as a team, than if 12 guys that only care for themselves will go after their own individual goals. True, if you push you might be the one that gets killed first, but if the enemy focuses all on you, your team mates will be able to take them appart. And in the next push, simply don't be in the front line but the second line and take your turn in killing the enemy.

Never forget, CW is a hardcore TEAM mode. If you don't play as a team, don't expect to win. And don't complain in that case.

#16 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

Time zones. Time zones can explain a lot.

#17 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:02 AM

GBKP & 12BG are allies and we get our fair share of wins, if we can get more units interested in the alliance and make a real effort to push out and mount an offensive then we might start winning matches, it's not the mechs that are at fault it's the lack of commitment by the majority to involve themselves, it's no good if our 2 units are allied and fighting against the entire Inner sphere and others are sitting with their paw in the honey pot waiting for someone else to do it, and if you or your unit is holding back pilots only for the big events so they can march in and be heroes for the day and do nothing for another 6 months or a year then it wouldn't matter if PGI made clan mechs a hundred times better we'll lose every time because of that.
If your a 1 man unit or a 100 man unit or anywhere in between and you want to see Ghost Bear start winning and get some respect back then pull your thumbs out of your behinds and get into our alliance and help us win planets and defend them, don't just sit there waiting for the big guys to do something every now and then, get in and fight with us, we just won't need them anymore and they can fade away dreaming of past glories, they had their chance, OUR TIME IS NOW.

Proud Clansman of Clan Ghost Bear
ATTAKHAN666
GHOST BEAR KODIAK PRIDE
TS is at StranaMechty look for GBKP.
I'll be happy to talk to you if your willing to fight for the glory of CLAN GHOST BEAR.

If any clan needs help then I'm sure we can come to some sort of accommodation, a temporary truce between the clans now may ensure the survival of us all in the future.

#18 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:06 AM

Time zones, participation, communication in-game. All OP. All required to win and hold. IS has it. We don't. Bottom line.

#19 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

If any unit is interested in joining the Alliance please contact the GBKP International Alliance Officer: Remover of Obstacles.
Second contact is GBKP Unit Recruitment Officer: Sean Kerenskov.
You may contact me direct if that is your choice GBKP Leader: ATTAKHAN666

Our objective is to bring together as many units as possible to organise an offensive and to take and hold as much territory as possible prior to CW3, as a cohesive and co-ordinated fighting force Clan Ghost Bear will once again lead the way to victory over the Inner Sphere.

The battlefield is our playground and here we am happiest, in our mechs upon the field our footsteps are as an earthquake, the sound of engine and war-horn are as thunder and our laser's the flash of lightning.

WE ARE GHOST BEAR HEAR OUR ROAR, DESPAIR YOU ALL FOR THE GHOST BEAR HAS COME OUT OF HIBERNATION AND WE SHOW NO MERCY.

ATTAKHAN666

#20 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:28 AM

Jup, MS wins sometimes in CW .
Might wanna take a look into it, but be prepared in body,soul and dropdeck or DropCommanders might remove you from groups .

ts.mercstaralliance.com

As always ... no need to get absorbed into MS, we do friendly tours of our hallowed halls .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users